Royal Seven Stars Hotel
Summerhill Hotel(Paignton)
  • Breakfast included
Berry Hotel(Paignton)
View Hotel
All reviewsagatha christiechampagne barsister hotelroyal castlelovely hotelbar foodcoaching innfour posterdaniel defoedouble parkingmain barfunction roomwatch the worlda small car parkjacuzzi bathsalmonfirst floor
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Stayed here for a family birthday celebration. First impression felt I was staying in a fish and chip shop. Whatever extractor fans they have in kitchen seriously need an overhaul as the smell just lingered everywhere.

Room was very small and over priced for what it was.

Getting drinks after midnight in bar was non existent. Breakfast service was slow and had to keep reminding them to restock the plates/orange juice etc . Cooked breakfast was good and freshly made to order.

Feel this hotel relies on it’s location for business but needs to improve. If it hadn’t been for the fact we needed to be there for the party I would have chosen a premier inn.

Stayed: March 2018, traveled with family
1  Thank janWalton
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

I’m not a ‘typical trip adviser reviewer’ however we did the whole tourist round robin tour (steam train/boat/bus) and we had the misfortune to end up here. The strangest atmosphere. The staff were so miserable and unwelcoming we preferred to wait in the rain for the bus. They even took my partners drink away whilst he was using the facilities.

Stayed: April 2018, traveled as a couple
RoyalSevenStars, General Manager at Royal Seven Stars Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear Gill,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. I am extremely disappointed and a little surprised to read your review as we aim for a warm and welcoming atmosphere here and pride ourselves on our customer service. We have received some really lovely reviews about the team lately and so I really hope this was an anomaly to the norm. I would very much like to look into your experience in more detail and I am contactable on lucyjonas@royalsevenstars.co.uk should you have further details that I can use to help us improve our customer service and atmosphere in future. I appreciate your help in the matter and should you return I hope that we exceed your expectations.

Kind regards,
Lucy Jonas, General Manager

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We stayed two nights here. We were booked into a premium room, which was rather on the small side but due to a cancellation were offered an upgrade to a decidedly larger and more luxurious room.

The hotel staff are friendly, polite and efficient. The rooms clean and generally well presented.

I can't give the hotel more than four stars though as it fell down on a few minor things. Breakfast service was very average on the first day and a dirty cup on the table, a lack of hangers in the wardrobe.

None of this should put a potential vision off, it's a very decent hotel in a good central location.

Stayed: March 2018, traveled as a couple

Dear John,
Thank you for your review – I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us here, that we looked after you with an upgrade and our staff were so friendly and efficient. I am sorry to hear that we need to pay a little more attention to detail, especially at breakfast and I will be feeding your comments back to the team in an effort to make sure we don’t let ourselves with these issues again.
We very much look forward to welcoming you back again one day and will endeavour to ensure that we get every little thing right for a 5* review.

Best wishes,
Lucy Jonas

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We often eat at The Royal Castle Hotel in Dartmouth which is very good, so as we were in Totnes, thought to have lunch at the Seven Stars which is the Royal Castle's sister hotel. What a mistake. We ordered cream of leek and potato soup with crusty bread and coffee. The coffee arrived first, slopped in the saucer with soggy sugar portions, and it was luke warm. The soup arrived, it was watery and tasteless, with stale bread. Crusty bread should be crusty on the outside and soft in the middle, not stale all through. We shared a butter portion which was rock hard, so not able to spread. The staff were all over the place, they didn't seem to have a clue on presentation or service. Very disappointing.

• Stayed: March 2018, traveled as a couple

Dear Lilly,

As a South Hams local and Royal Castle regular I really appreciate you taking the time to write a review and hope that it comes with a view to helping us get it right next time. Your visit does sound disappointing and I’d really appreciate a few more details so that I can look into the matter and ensure we learn from our mistakes. I know that we are better than that here at the Royal Seven Stars! You would be welcome to return as my guest in the future if you were willing to gives us another chance at showing you what we’re really capable of so please do get in touch on lucyjonas@royalsevenstars.co.uk or pop in if you’re in the area and introduce yourself.

Thanks again and best wishes,
Lucy Jonas

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Lovely old hotel right in the centre of Totnes, limited parking at the rear but this is explained on their web site and they do allow double parking as long as you leave your keys with reception. We were upgraded (without asking) to a really delightful four poster bedroom with a large modern bathroom (with a jacuzzi bath), there was also fresh fruit and bottled water (plus ice cubes) in the room. Lovely touch.
We ate lunch in the pub which was excellent, there were also other dining choices if required. Breakfast is served in the restaurant with lots of choices in hot and cold food and was really good, very nice coffee served in individual cafetieres.
Will be returning!