Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
eDreamsUS$55
Booking.comUS$55
Agoda.comUS$55
Hotels.com
Travelocity
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 14 October 2019

I have stayed in hostels across the UK but never have I been to one eith such good value for money, friendly and helpful staff, that is clean and tidy in the fitting atmosphere! Highly recommend to the young at heart! The boss, Otto, will leave us breathless. Superb!

Date of stay: October 2019
Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed 27 August 2019

Picked up bed bugs from this place and proceeded to get stung on my camping trip afterwards. Seems like they did nothing after the previous report (a month ago). I still don’t know how I can remove them from things that won’t go into the dryer.

Date of stay: August 2019
Trip type: Traveled solo
2  Thank LoneTraveller2626
Lee W, Manager at Plymouth Backpackers Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2019

Hi. Thanks for the feedback. We have now replaced all our wooden bunk beds with new metal bunk beds and had the hotel treated for bed bugs. Eradicated any sign of them.

Reviewed 20 August 2019

We picked up bedbugs during our one-night stay (enforced due to ferry delay). They unmistakably came from this hotel, because we came from home, not another hotel, and we went camping the following week in our hitherto clean tent. In the tent we were bitten all over the place and saw the actual bugs walking around. Yes, this is a problem that can occur anywhere, but you expect paid accommodation to try and stay on top of this. However, when I phoned to tell them about it, the receptionist seemed unconcerned and uninterested. I emailed the owners, but have not had a reply of any kind. I have since contacted Plymouth Environmental Health to ask them to look into this hostel.
We have spent a lot of time and money trying to eradicate them from our belongings on our return home and are still not finished.

1  Thank Busylizzie53
Lee W, General Manager at Plymouth Backpackers Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2019

Thanks for your feedback. We have since taken appropriate steps to eradicate any evidence of bed bugs and replaced all of our beds. Many thanks.

Reviewed 29 July 2019

I booked a room that would suit the needs of my disabled wife and 2 children, I then received an email a week before my booking telling me the room was not available due to plumbing issues (this seems to be a recurring theme .. see previous reviews). I agreed to a new room in the hotel with 3 flights of stairs due to the short notice and very little other option. On arrival we were shocked to see the police arresting people on the road by the hotel and what appeared to be alcoholics / drug addicts around the premises. There was a bin spilling rubbish all over the street opposite the main entrance. The receptionist told us there were two rules, 'don't smoke in your room and no alcohol', I thought this was a strange greeting to a hotel. My wife made it up the very steep stairs with great difficulty to the top of the hotel. We were shocked with how dirty and smelly the hotel is, the carpets are worn and it smelt of smoke in the corridors. There was a pair of old pants on the roof outside the window. The room was not as described they said six beds and it was four. The room was very basic and the two bunk beds were very unsteady. I did not feel this was an appropriate safe place for my family to stay, and it was nothing like as described. We left without staying the night. No refund offered. General manager very unhelpful.

• Trip type: Traveled with family
Lee W, General Manager at Plymouth Backpackers Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2019

Very sorry that you felt this way. I did try to help on the phone by explaining that I was not permitted to refund any money without permission from the owner. I explained that if you put everything in an email I would personally make sure that you received a response.

When you asked me why you needed to write an email, I explained it was because it would go to the owner to decide if the situation warranted a refund. Plus your reasons were increasing by the minute and I wanted to make sure you had everything in writing.

First it was because you were under the impression that you were in a ground floor apartment, then when I found the email we sent you eight days prior to your arrival that we had an issue with the apartment and could offer you a full refund or a room at the hotel on the third floor, you changed your excuse to our stairs having no bannister rails. Unfortunately this was another falsehood as all our stairs have bannister rails, and when I explained this to you, you proceeded to come out with further excuses.

Personally I got the feeling that things were being exagerated in order to garner a refund, hence the reason for asking you to put everything in an email. We are a city centre Hostel and I'm sure you will agree that most city centres do have citizens that you wouldn't want to share your home with? I am not going to deny that we are any different but as for police arresting people in the streets on your arrival, alchoholics and drug addicts around our premises I'm afraid that this is another created image in order to strengthen your case. To be honest, it started to sound like an episode of Starsky and Hutch.

All the staff go out of the way to greet guests and again another exageration to paint a negative picture. I have never heard anybody being greeted with 'don't smoke in your room and no alchohol', this is one of our rules but we do start at the very least with a "hello" and check our guests in before explaining the house rules.

Our stairs are normal for any staircase I have ever seen and are no steeper than normal, so again yet another exageration. Carpets are not brand new but are cleaned daily and so are our rooms. As we don't allow smoking in the hotel, I find it hard to see how it smelt of smoke. Our bunk beds are checked routinely and we would have been happy to have looked at them for you if you had mentioned this at the time, unfortunately you didn't.

On a lighter note I have not seen any old pants on the roof but can assure you that if I had I would have replaced them with a new pair :)

Reviewed 28 July 2019 via mobile

Booked female dorm for night out with girls. Pay for what you get. Would stay again. Friendly simple and easy plus close to town. It is a hostel so don’t expect hand and foot service. But then it’s cheap and suitable for just one night or 2

Trip type: Traveled with friends