Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
eDreamsUS$55
Booking.comUS$55
Agoda.comUS$55
Hotels.com
Travelocity
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 29 July 2019

I booked a room that would suit the needs of my disabled wife and 2 children, I then received an email a week before my booking telling me the room was not available due to plumbing issues (this seems to be a recurring theme .. see previous reviews). I agreed to a new room in the hotel with 3 flights of stairs due to the short notice and very little other option. On arrival we were shocked to see the police arresting people on the road by the hotel and what appeared to be alcoholics / drug addicts around the premises. There was a bin spilling rubbish all over the street opposite the main entrance. The receptionist told us there were two rules, 'don't smoke in your room and no alcohol', I thought this was a strange greeting to a hotel. My wife made it up the very steep stairs with great difficulty to the top of the hotel. We were shocked with how dirty and smelly the hotel is, the carpets are worn and it smelt of smoke in the corridors. There was a pair of old pants on the roof outside the window. The room was not as described they said six beds and it was four. The room was very basic and the two bunk beds were very unsteady. I did not feel this was an appropriate safe place for my family to stay, and it was nothing like as described. We left without staying the night. No refund offered. General manager very unhelpful.

Date of stay: July 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Lee W, General Manager at Plymouth Backpackers Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2019

Very sorry that you felt this way. I did try to help on the phone by explaining that I was not permitted to refund any money without permission from the owner. I explained that if you put everything in an email I would personally make sure that you received a response.

When you asked me why you needed to write an email, I explained it was because it would go to the owner to decide if the situation warranted a refund. Plus your reasons were increasing by the minute and I wanted to make sure you had everything in writing.

First it was because you were under the impression that you were in a ground floor apartment, then when I found the email we sent you eight days prior to your arrival that we had an issue with the apartment and could offer you a full refund or a room at the hotel on the third floor, you changed your excuse to our stairs having no bannister rails. Unfortunately this was another falsehood as all our stairs have bannister rails, and when I explained this to you, you proceeded to come out with further excuses.

Personally I got the feeling that things were being exagerated in order to garner a refund, hence the reason for asking you to put everything in an email. We are a city centre Hostel and I'm sure you will agree that most city centres do have citizens that you wouldn't want to share your home with? I am not going to deny that we are any different but as for police arresting people in the streets on your arrival, alchoholics and drug addicts around our premises I'm afraid that this is another created image in order to strengthen your case. To be honest, it started to sound like an episode of Starsky and Hutch.

All the staff go out of the way to greet guests and again another exageration to paint a negative picture. I have never heard anybody being greeted with 'don't smoke in your room and no alchohol', this is one of our rules but we do start at the very least with a "hello" and check our guests in before explaining the house rules.

Our stairs are normal for any staircase I have ever seen and are no steeper than normal, so again yet another exageration. Carpets are not brand new but are cleaned daily and so are our rooms. As we don't allow smoking in the hotel, I find it hard to see how it smelt of smoke. Our bunk beds are checked routinely and we would have been happy to have looked at them for you if you had mentioned this at the time, unfortunately you didn't.

On a lighter note I have not seen any old pants on the roof but can assure you that if I had I would have replaced them with a new pair :)

Reviewed 28 July 2019 via mobile

Booked female dorm for night out with girls. Pay for what you get. Would stay again. Friendly simple and easy plus close to town. It is a hostel so don’t expect hand and foot service. But then it’s cheap and suitable for just one night or 2

Date of stay: July 2019
Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed 23 June 2019

The hostel is easy to find and is in a great location for the city centre.
Hostel is basic with some rooms better than others - but i did like the bedcovers. Wifi worked well, shower hot.
Breakfast of cereals and toast good, but opens at varying times!
Good value basic accommodation.

Date of stay: April 2019
Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed 12 May 2019 via mobile

Turned up 10 minutes before they closed up for the night. Owner was friendly and very helpful. We were told breakfast started at 8, but when the owner discovered we were leaving at that time he ensured it would be open by 7 instead.

Room was what you expected and included an en-suite. Particularly enjoyed the random duvet covers including mine of Union J.

Only issues were a plug socket not working in the room.

Date of stay: May 2019
Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed 26 February 2019

Booked for an overnight stay for my birthday due to the amazingly low price (booked 2 rooms for 8 people) came to roughly £13 each. We were heading out for the night so just needed somewhere close by to crash.
First impression wasn't great as we stood around not knowing how to get in as no one answered the door. After paying (£27 for myself due to charges not specified when booked) we were shown to our rooms which were expectidly bog standard and were told to EACH pay £20 deposit incase we were loud coming in which is in my opinion absurd considering the amount the rooms cost. Clearly, the owner (whom we never met) is keen to get what they can out of us.
My brother ended up unexpectedly staying in a spare bed in our room after the night out. We were moved due to plumbing issues into a room with 6 beds. We decided in the morning to explain he had nowhere to stay and we are more than happy to pay for his stay but we were well made VERY aware in the morning that we would lose the totalled £80 deposit for his stay which as being uni students we cannot afford.
We were also made aware that we were loud in the morning which seems to me not possible as we slept until 9/10am to be out by 11am and spent the morning collecting our things (hungover). I feel as we are aged 19-25 we were taken advantage of and rinsed of our cash. I Will never stay here again, waste of money and quite frankly due to rude staff really put a downer on my birthday.
All In all cost me almost £50 to stay in a stretching 3 star hostel. Wish id gone with an air bnb.

Date of stay: February 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
2  Thank misswinter22
Lee W, General Manager at Plymouth Backpackers Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2019

Hi.

Thanks for your feedback. Hungover is a clue to your appalling behaviour, but don’t worry about having to make the decision that you would never revisit us as I can assure you that you never will be allowed to stay with us again. Your attitudes and drunken behaviour were disgusting and I would warn any Air bnb about letting you stay at any of their establishments.

Regards, Lee