“nice evening walk”
Review of Haldon Forest Park

Haldon Forest Park
Ranked #7 of 130 things to do in Exeter
More attraction details
Owner description: Whether you want a quiet gentle stroll or an exhilarating mountain biking experience, there’s something for you at Haldon Forest Park. 3,500 acres of woodland just fifteen minutes from Exeter.We have a network of walking and cycling trails that suit people of all abilities. There is also a cycle skills area and pump loop for people to practice and develop their off road cycling skills. The Ridge Cafe is open every day on site serving a range of delicious food and drinks. Forest Cycle Hire is also based at Haldon for those who want to hire a bike when they arrive and Haldon is also home to Go Ape, the high wire adventure course. There is a permanent orienteering course and a range of other activities happening on site including archery sessions, nordic walking and Segway tours. Our friendly ranger team are on site every day to assist visitors and can be contacted on.The site is free to explore but parking charges do apply. The income from car parking goes back in to the site to maintain all the facilities, including the cycling and walking trials.This year the Forestry Commission is celebrating the 15th anniversary of the Gruffalo - more information about the celebrations can be found on the website.
Reviewed 4 April 2018

me and my partner went for a walk here yesterday. we crossed the road from the main car park and followed the green trail, which took us to the view point where you can over look the city of Exeter and the exe estuary. its an easy short walk for all abilities even while chair accessible.

there is something to do for the whole family, would recommend for anyone looking for a good day out.

1  Thank Alexander S
"great cafe"
"great walk"
"segway experience"

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

So much to do fab day out with kids
We have walked the gruff also trail and highered bikes my boys love it there

Reviewed 23 March 2018

Beautiful place with lots to do - different walking routes, great views of Exeter, bikes for hire... and even Segway tours! Go Ape is also located here; so there is lots to do for people of all ages and interests.

Reviewed 20 March 2018 via mobile

Although Haldon is nearly 2 hours from home, we've visited as a couple on numerous occasions to ride our bikes whilst on our way to somewhere. On this occasion, I was with a group of work colleagues who share a love for bike riding prior to a work related course.
We got there at about 4pm and noticed gangs of children turning up for some cross country thing. Once in the trails, we didn't see them at all. Haldon has a range of mtb trails (I'm a 'blue' girl) and although there was some maintenance going on which closed some of the routes, there was still plenty of riding and the diversions were clearly marked.
I had the luxury of an ebike, which helped keep me up to speed with the hardened riders of our group and loved every minute. From previous visits, I know there's a good choice of easier or more technical trails as well as separate walking paths. Some of the views are just stunning (if you slow down enough to enjoy them!) and any shared trails are wide enough to stay safe without feeling like you shouldn't be there. I know at other forestry commission sites, there can be tension between different service users, but i didn't get that feeling here and there was plenty of people around!
The trails are obviously well maintained and there is bike centre/hire and wash facilities, should you need them. There is also a great cafe and good toilet/changing spaces too. I know Haldon also has a Go Ape, which I'm yet to be brave enough to use, but it's a great use of the space as well as encouraging others to the site. A lot can be learned from how this site is used and what it can offer, if potential is developed. It's a great facility, and although I still remember a nasty 'off' from 6 years ago where my own bike handling skills let me down, I enjoy visiting every single time. The parking charges are a little steep and it would be nice if the discovery passes were across all FC sites, but when the facilities and options are this good, I don't begrudge paying to go towards the upkeep. Keep up the good work Haldon, and I hope other FC sites look and learn from your example. Haldon proves you can offer a lot to all service users of the site without impacting the environment.