Mercure Exeter Rougemont Hotel
ABode Exeter(Exeter)
Park View(Exeter)
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
All reviewsmain staircasecar parkcentral railway stationprivilege roomlovely hotelstained glassfriendly efficient staffarriving by trainmain shoppingparking is limitedmodern bathroomnothing too much troublea couple of minutes walka city centre hotelparking on sitedisabled roommulti storey
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Stayed with my daughter for a shopping trip, had a twin room with breakfast for £95. The room was lovely, clean,tidy, not ,many toiletries provided but I always take my own. The floors creak like anything so you can hear people walking by at all hours. The main problem was the noise through the floors and wall. Hardly slept, you could hear people (either above or next door) talking and turning off the light switches, heard a lot of banging so whether these people were just generally noisy or hosting bedroom activities I don't know but I told them to shut up twice and ending up going to sleep with the tv music channel on just to drown out the noise. had about 3 hours sleep. The best thing about this whole experience was the breakfast absolutely amazing. Otherwise not one to stay at again. Our room was 126

• Stayed: April 2018, traveled with family
1  Thank mom3181
RougemontExeter, General Manager at Mercure Exeter Rougemont Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking your time to tell us about your recent stay experience in our hotel. We are equally disappointed to see that your stay was not up to your expectation due to the poor sound proof with in your bedroom and my sincere apology for that.

In terms of the sound proof as you understand we are a historic converted property, we do have challenges in few parts of our hotel and definitely not in all part of our bedroom floors as you can evident this from our other guests reviews.Our designers have tried their best to keep the disruption to a minimal level whilst restoring the history of the building. If you would have mentioned whilst you were here I am sure we could have moved you to a quieter room.

I am very glad to share your feedback on how amazing our breakfast was with my team.

Next time please let us know well in advance so that we can allocate you to a well sound proofed bedroom so that you can enjoy a much peaceful stay with us.

Wish you a great day!

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

This beautiful hotel was just what we needed for our Easter break near to everything, fantastic room and very friendly helpful staff. Would definitely stay there again. People have complained about it being noisy but we did not hear any noise at all.

Stayed: April 2018, traveled with family

Dear Lyn,

Hope you are well and Wow, what a great review to read and share with the team here at the Rougemont. Very glad to see your stay was perfect and you thoroughly enjoyed your stay at our beautiful hotel.

Also good to hear that you had a lovely Easter break at Exeter. Please feel free to contact me direct at the hotel if I may be any helpful to you in the near future.

Hope your travel brings you back to Exeter in the near future and we are very much looking forward to welcome you back at the hotel for another memorable stay.

Wish you a sparkling day!

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

This hotel was in a great location, not far to walk to the central. The staff were super friendly. We got there at 9am and check inn isn’t until 2pm but they looked after our bags for us which was kind.

Do not pay the £15 extortionate price for a breakfast walk 2 minutes down the road and get a All you can eat breakfast at a restaurant called ‘Brodys Bistro’ for £6

The parking is small, but if you’re lucky you get a space and don’t get trapped in from some idiot driver blocking you in it’s not too bad. £10 for 24hours parking.

The hotel was a decent size and the bed was super comfy. It was tidy but a few little things were not up to standards like the glasses were dirty, we were not given any soap/amenities like shampoo etc, the placemats for the glasses were dirty.

There was not a mini fridge in the hotel, which was disappointing as we had brought a few things with us that we needed to refrigerate.

Stayed: April 2018, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Aiyesha V

Good Morning Aiyesha V,

Hope you are well and many thanks for sharing your feedback following your recent stay with us.
Our normal check in time is 2.00PM however we take all the opportunity to allocate rooms in advance wherever possible and I am really sorry to hear that there weren't able to allocate a rooms prior 2.00PM on this occasion.

Next time you should try our breakfast as we do offer breakfast at a discounted price, please ask a member of staff. Our breakfast spread is extensive when you compare to 'Brodys Bistro' down the road and sure you will appreciate the spread what we offer to our guests at the Rougemont.

Delighted to read your comment about how comfy our beds were and the size of our bedroom, however I am equally disappointed to read that we let you down with the few cleanliness issue in your bedroom. Rest be assured that, I have now shared your comment to my team to ensure we improve on this area going forward

We do have mini fridges in our privilege bedrooms. Next time please ask a member of staff and we will be happy to upgrade if we can to a privilege room with the in-room fridge facility.

Hope your travel brings you back to Exeter in the near future and I very much looking forward in welcoming you back at the hotel.

Wish you a Sparkling day!

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

This hotel is right in the middle of a busy city centre so you get the associated noise of a university city.
Room was very spacious, even with the sofa bed down.
Cleaning needs a bit more attention to detail, had someones blood over the bathroom door and handle but house keeping came to clean within 30 mins.
I agree with others comments about the sound proofing of rooms, the corridor floor squeaks every time someone walks past and the lift shaft is quite noisy.
The staircase and stained glass window is amazing.

Stayed: March 2018, traveled with family

Dear Tony F,

Many thanks for taking your time in sharing your feedback in this forum regarding your recent stay with us. Good to hear that you enjoyed our spacious bedroom with the sofa bed, Most of our guest agree with you on how comfort and spacious our bedrooms are.

My sincere apology for the housekeeping side in letting you down with the cleanliness standard, Just to let you know we always aim high in terms of our cleanliness standards. I have now thoroughly investigated and taken up you feedback to my housekeeping team to avoid any future recurrence.
In terms of the sound proof as you understand we are a historic converted property, we do have challenges in few parts of our hotel. Our designers have tried their best to keep the disruption to a minimal level whilst restoring the history of the building.

As you said, we are really privileged and proud about our main Grand Stairs and our stained glass window. This again came with a great historic background. Our stained glass window, situated at the top of the central staircase, depicts an incident in connection with the visit of Richard III to the city. Shakespeare dramatized it - the Mayor with the keys in hand showing Richard round the castle, the inscription reads: 'After hearing the place was called Rougemont he was slain at Basteworthy'
This turned out to be true. During the war the window was carefully removed and stored in the cellars wrapped in paper and installed back in place after the war. Hope you appreciate the story behind it.

I very much looking forward to welcome you back at the Rougemont when ever your travel brings you back to Exeter.

Wish You a Sparkling Day!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Nice hotel, great location in the middle of Exeter. I had a spacious room, nice clean bathroom. The restaurant was closed but they served food to us in the bar, which was fine.
The staff were very friendly and helpful, breakfast was fine.
The only thing that let it down was the room's soundproofing. It was non-existent - next door's tv sounded as if it was in my room. I would have asked for a move but I was only there one night with an early start. And I wasn't sure the other rooms would be any better

• Stayed: March 2018, traveled on business
RougemontExeter, General Manager at Mercure Exeter Rougemont Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Stephen MB,

Many thanks for sharing your experience following your recent stay with us.
Great to hear about the friendliness and the helpfulness of our team which we are always pride about. Really sorry to hear that the soundproofing in your room wasn't the greatest. As you would have experienced we have converted a historic building and tried our best to restore the features to the best we can. Hence we have challenges in few part of our bedroom floor and shame to hear that you didn't had the time to request for a room move.

Next time please let us know well in advance and we will make sure to allocate yourself to a better soundproofed room.

Just to let you know we are launching our new Rougemont restaurant menu as of tonight and we have crafted this menu with lot of local culinary influences and I am sure you will enjoy on your next stay.

Hope your travel brings you back to Exeter shortly and I look forward in welcome you back in the hotel.

Wish you a sparkling day,