All reviews stained glass main staircase privilege room car park mercure brand lovely hotel city centre central station close to shops comfortable bed multi storey bars and restaurants huge bed no air con disabled room reception staff limited parking
Reviewed 26 March 2018 via mobile

The football was awful but that's not the hotels fault!
Good points;
Nice room and bathroom.
Excellent and comfortable bed.
Good strong lighting.
Staff in reception friendly and efficient
Bar was busy later on but friendly.

Not so good.
Breakfast. Utter chaos. Lots of staff but tables not cleared in a timely manner.
Coffee ran out and staff had to be prompted.
Eggs looked like they had been lying around.
Didn't know you could order different things.
Not shown to a table.
With a bit of proper management this situation could have been avoided.
Not keen on the car park charges either when we spent over £100 per night for the room.
Overall pretty good

Trip type: Traveled as a couple
RougemontExeter, General Manager at Mercure Exeter Rougemont Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2018

Dear bertiefaversham

Thank you for your constructive feedback about your recent stay. It is great to see that you enjoyed our newly refurbished bedrooms and friendly service.

I am sorry that you were disappointed with the breakfast - I will discuss with the Food & Beverage team to ensure that this is not repeated.

I hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 21 March 2018

Check in was super speedy, the lady on reception was very friendly and polite making us feel at home. We easily found our room and it did not disappoint. Loved all the little touches we received that you would not normally get in similar priced hotels. There was an issue with bathrobes (there were none in our room) and despite us calling down to reception it was never resolved but did not affect our stay overall. Limited parking but there is a smaller pay & display around the corner so again not an issue.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
RougemontExeter, General Manager at Mercure Exeter Rougemont Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2018

Dear Charlie F

Thank you for your lovely feedback. It is great to see that the team were very friendly and polite and made you feel at home.

I hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 21 March 2018 via mobile

Visited this hotel alone on a work trip, firstly from the outside this hotel looks quite grand which is positive, however thats where it ends.

The rooms are very small and smell off damp. Which in turn makes the towels and bedding and carpet smell of dump.

Then in the morning the breakfast is just completely an unpleasant experience. Firstly the staff don’t show you to a table, you don’t really know what you can order or how to get things to order. People were waiting ages for coffee etc. Was quite embarrassing and it wasn’t even busy.

Then the food, well the scrambled eggs and beans look and taste like they have been left out for years.

The non cooked food is very open with people leaning over it. Jams etc are communal with people using there own spoons, very unhygienic.

The fruit has also seen better days, and the fruit cocktail in the glass had gone all brown by 7am.

Aside from this the location is perfect for Exeter city centre but I wouldn’t head back to this hotel anytime soon.

Trip type: Traveled on business

Dear Rachel K

Thank you for taking the time to provide constructive feedback. As a team we strive to provide great customer service so we are disappointed that on this occasion we did not meet your expectations.

As a Victorian Hotel we do have a variety of room sizes, with our smaller rooms being sold at a discount price which normally suits the leisure or business guest on a tight budget. We will of course look into your feedback as I can assure you that this is not the normal service that we provide, nor aim for at the Hotel.

I hope that we will have an opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 19 March 2018 via mobile

This was our 2nd visit.
We stayed in a privilege room on the first floor.
The bathroom was very compact. Everytime we used the shower the floor got very wet as the shower cubicle was narrow. Unfortunately the shower tray was dirty as well.
For a privilege room I don't think it was worth the extra money.
On a positive the hotel is in an excellent location for exploring the city and the staff are very helpful and friendly.

Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Dear Cecilia B

I am really sorry to see that you were disappointed with your recent stay at the Hotel, particularly as you have stayed with us before.

Whilst I will be honest to say that we do not normally get any negative feedback about the showers in our refurbished bedrooms, I am sorry that you were disappointed with the size. There is no excuse for any cleanliness issues and I will discuss with the Head Housekeeper to ensure that this does not happen again.

Our privilege rooms are normally popular for the extras that we place in the rooms such as the mini fridges, nespresso coffee machine, additional toiletries, bathrobes and also some with sofas to relax on. I will discuss with the team your feedback as they should always be memorable for the right reason.

Thank you for your constructive feedback and I hope that we can welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 18 March 2018

Well kept period building, splendid in many ways. Rooms are tastefully decorated.
Breakfast was fine, albeit there was no brown bread available. Wasn't too fussed on the herby sausage either.
My issue was withe the bedroom walls, they must be thin, I could hear both ends of a mobile phone conversation. I don't speak Italian so no idea what they were talking about. The noise between the two guests in the room continued until gone midnight. They were either exceptionally loud or like I say the walls between rooms must be made out of Rizla.

• Trip type: Traveled on business
1  Thank GuliverSantinni
RougemontExeter, General Manager at Mercure Exeter Rougemont Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2018

Dear GuliverSantinni
Thank you for your constructive feedback about your recent stay at the Hotel.

Whilst it is great to see that you enjoyed our lovely newly refurbished bedrooms, I am sorry that you were disturbed by guests on their mobile phone talking loudly.

I hope that we can welcome you back again soon.