“Superb location, friendly staff & delicious food.”
Review of Port William Inn

Port William Inn
Ranked #8 of 31 Restaurants in Tintagel
Price range: US$8 - US$21
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Port William Inn at Trebarwith Strand, near Tintagel, is a wonderful pub and restaurant on the North Cornwall coast, renowned for excellent pub food and a comfortable welcoming bar. There is also 4 star accommodation, with all 8 hotel rooms having a very high standard of finish and superb sea views, down to the sea and the dramatic cliffs. Magnificently situated, The Port William Inn nestles into the cliffs overlooking the dramatic Trebarwith Strand on the North Cornwall coast. When out, the tide reveals a mile of golden sand which can be viewed from the bar, the conservatory dining area and from the inn's eight luxurious en suite hotel bedrooms. Once you have visited we are sure you will agree there is no other inn in Cornwall with a location to match that of the Port William. You are also welcome to enjoy the inn's excellent food and drink from the bar and restaurant, while enjoying the superb views from our outside terrace. The Port William lies on the famous Cornwall coast path and is a very popular stop off point for walkers. Trebarwith Strand also offers a surf school and has Life Guards during the summer months. A short drive takes you to local golf courses and tennis courts while the world famous Tintagel Castle and Island are just a short walk along the coast path.
Reviewed 4 April 2018

A beautiful dog friendly Inn located right next to a stunning cove. The Inn itself is really cosy and welcoming. The staff were very friendly and the food was fantastic.

PWGM, General Manager at Port William Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2018

Hi Cassandra G and thank you for your review.
I'm glad your enjoyed your visit and hope you can return again to our stunning cove location soon.

Reviewed 3 April 2018

Yes it's a great location with nice views - yes the service is friendly - yes the loos are nice and modern - yes it's cosy inside and a big YES they allow dogs (even sandy ones)

But the food really wasn't up to scratch - first visit was Saturday lunchtime, Fish Goujon sandwich mostly consisted of batter, hardly any fish. The batter was so puffy it was impossible to eat the sandwich as a sandwich - also being on a biroche style bun the whole thing ended up being overly greasy - I put it down to poor luck.

Enquired about bookings for Sunday and was told they weren't taking any so we thought we would arrive early 11.45 I easily secured a table (there were loads) and placed order at noon. Finally by 12.30 our starters arrived, the ham hock and pea terrine crumbled apart at the first cut and certainly couldn't spread it on the sour dough bread - for £8 it was very overpriced.

Another long wait until 1pm for our mains to arrive my main of roast beef was standard pub roast beef, I expected something a bit more polished. The beef wasn't that tough, the potatoes weren't that soggy but was only served with carrots and some rather bland red cabbage on the side expected another veg to be honest. The yorkshire pudding was one redeeming feature.

Partners steak he said was tough and tasteless, in his words a cheap piece of meat. Came with greasy chips and a greasy mushroom, the prawn skewer (£4) this was 4 defrosted plain king prawns on a wooden stick and the addition of pepper sauce (£3) made this a very expensive experience.

It's a shame as I would love to go back for the location - most pubs who serve a roast on Sunday put more effort into this and offer a reduced alternative main course menu I would suggest this is a far more sensible option.

1  Thank Vanessa_Bristol

Hi Vanessa_Bristol and thank you for your review.
I'm glad you enjoyed our location and the newly refurbished toilets.
I will be passing your comments on to the head chef and I'm sure he will also speak to the food team at head office to investigate.
Our kitchen opens at 12 noon and we aim for 20 minutes for the starters to be with the guest and I apologise that on this occasion it seemed to take a little longer. We also aim for our mains to get to the guest 20 minutes after the starter is returned to the kitchen - I'm sorry if on this occasion it didn't happen.
I hope you enjoyed the rest of your cornwall experience.

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Visited the Port William while walking a few years ago and so knew it was a stunning location overlooking the cove and Gull Rock. We visited three times on our recent stay in a cottage up the road in Trewarmett including once for a meal. All of the staff who served us were exceptionally friendly and accommodating. It’s a very dog friendly pub which suits us well as we had our Golden Retriever with us. The food was very good, not exceptional but solid, higher end pub food with both standard St Austell menu and specials available. Good range of gins, wine list and a couple of St Austell ales on tap. Would recommended

PWGM, General Manager at Port William Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2018

Hi Thomas H and thank you for your review.
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay at Trewarmett and the visit to our awesome location.
I hope you can return again soon.
Regards, Mike - GM

Reviewed 31 March 2018

Dined in the bar on Good Friday evening. Super menu choice - lots of variety. Great tasting food - well presented and served by friendly staff.

Hi 1Bobbie and thank you for your review.
I'm glad you enjoyed your visit and hope you can return again soon.

Reviewed 30 March 2018

We have been to the Port William over the years, and have generally found it to serve pretty good food. On our visit over the Easter weekend, we probably should have turned round when we saw the sign on the door announcing that due to no gas supply, a limited menu was available. We both decided to order from the specials board, and despite only being 8pm, only one sea bass was available. I decided to order the char grilled pork chop instead.
The food arrived quite promptly, the sea bass was fine, however the single fatty pork chop (which was certainly not char grilled) was served with a small puddle of skimmed milk like sauce of no taste whatsoever, and did not bear any resemblance to its description of a "cream and brandy sauce".
Whilst we were there, we were not once asked how our food was, puddings were equally poor, a sticky toffee pudding was unavailable (after we had ordered it) so a sickly chocolate cake was in its place.
Will we return....no I think not, which is a shame as it was good in the past.

PWGM, General Manager at Port William Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2018

Hi mrbub and thank you for your review.
I'm sorry you didn't experience our normal service, as you can imagine it was an emergency situation. We chose to try and provide something for our guests rather than shut completely.
I will however be passing on your comments to the head chef regarding the Pork Chop special and request that he revises the dish.
I hope that you do visit us again so we can prove that during a 'normal' day we are still 'pretty good'.