“OK for breakfast, but we wouldn't have dinner again”

The Brasserie at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel
Ranked #321 of 592 Restaurants in Chester
Reviewed 4 April 2018

Rather austere ambience for a 'brasserie', just tables and chairs, no frills. More canteen than restaurant
Our food really wasn't very good. Dried-out fishcakes and very undercooked 'poached' eggs, and a veg curry which had a strange acid taste, with leathery nan bread.
Service was very slow although there were few diners.
But the ice cream was OK :-)
I don't think we'd eat there again in the evening, but the breakfasts weren't bad.

Reviewed 15 February 2018

I decided with a colleague to have breakfast before the Conservative conference that was being held at this hotel. We were each charged £15.95 for a breakfast that was no better, and in some respects, worse than Premier who charge only £9.00 for a breakfast with much more selection. The fruit salad was particularly poor: only sliced water melon, sliced pineapple and a few dried apricots that looked as if they'd been there for days. I asked for some scrambled egg which turned up like a sliced up omelette! Obviously the cook does NOT know how to make proper scrambled egg-which he should do at the prices being charged.
I did not stay at the hotel on this occasion. Last time was about 2 years ago. I thought the rooms adequate but in need of updating. The stand on which the speakers stood at the conference was a disgrace, I thought, with a tatty black covering-hardly the sort of thing you want when the main speaker is the Home Secretary. I further understand from my colleague that the lunchtime buffet soup was very watery, the sort of thing you get from packet soups. The sandwiches and coffee were adequate..

Reviewed 24 January 2018

We had a three course meal as part of our stay for 1 night along with breakfast. Firstly we had to be very careful not to put too much pressure when cutting our food as the tale was all over the place. The food was cooked ok but everything was the same colour. We have stay over treat's at hotel's quite a lot, and it's the first time even my husband has agreed with me over the food looking really drap and not very appealing. He just likes to get started. We had cheese and crackers to finish and there was a good supply of cheese, but only 3 small cracker/biscuits. My husbands face was a picture. The staff in the restaurant were friendly though. To be honest we didn't have high hopes after the room we had been given. We booked through a deal with Secret escapes and we were definitely treated like we had paid less than the going rate overall.

Reviewed 25 December 2017

Stayed here one night it was on a deal which included a m evening meal and breakfast.
The evening meal was on par with a low Budget cafe
The chef should go back to catering college could not fault the buffet breakfast
Tables in bar where not cleaned as people vacated them all in all
Would not stay here again overated,
Hotel rooms where ok

Reviewed 7 September 2017

I'll start by saying that we had a fantastic experience. We were greeted by a member of the staff who was very knowledgeable and friendly. Having plenty of choice by looking at the menu, I have decided to try the rib-eye steak which was matured for 28 days. I personally had one of the best steaks ever, which was cooked exactly how I've asked for: medium-rare. Also enjoyed the sticky toffee pudding with ice-cream that I had for dessert. Will definitely go back!!

2  Thank Tibi S