“Not enough negative words...”
Review of June's Food Court

June's Food Court
Ranked #84 of 88 Quick Bites in Chester
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Absolutely, jaw-droppingly appalling. Totally inedible; when the kids won't even eat the sausage rolls you know it's pretty bad. My pie appeared to be filled with the scrapings from the floor of the tapir enclosure. Without doubt the worst food I have ever had the misfortune to have in front of me.

Date of visit: August 2021
Write a reviewReviews (29)

Reviewed 15 August 2021 via mobile

Perhaps one of the worst places I have ever been on this planet. And I've been present for a couple of revolutions in developing countries.

Most of the staff were actually reasonably pleasant considering how understaffed they seemed to be. But clearly poorly trained, they seemed to have to do everything in a sequential fashion when, while waiting for orders to arrive, they clearly could have been serving two or three more people.

1.5 hours queuing for overpriced inedible food in cramped conditions (during an epidemic). My leak and mushroom pie wasn't cooked. I don't mean undercooked, it literally wasn't cooked. Plus my wifes vegan burger turned out to be meat. It had tasted bad enough that I was confident it wasn't. I was wrong. When we tried to go back to ask for a cooked pie we initially got told off for jumping the queue. Honestly, you couldn't make it up.

Date of visit: August 2021
1  Thank JosephWaller
Reviewed 29 June 2021

While Covid regulations were in place (which I must compliment the zoo on its efficiency, less so its visitors), it was no surprise that the queue appeared to be long, the wait seemed reasonable (about 20-25 mins.). When the food was brought in a cardboard box to my table and I opened it, my look of disappointment would have been worth a picture. We had all ordered Fish, Chips and Mushy Peas, but there was no mushy peas, as my wife had seen what passed for this vegetable and decided that it did not look edible. Well, I'm afraid that went for the chips with all 3 of us. In fact, none of us finished them. The chips tasted as bad as they looked with them appearing to have been fried to death with little hint of a fluffy potato and more of a hint of repeated layers of fat which nearly cracked my teeth as I bit into the first one. The only redeeming feature was the battered haddock with both a decent portion size and a well cooked meat. The batter may have not been to everybody's taste, but it was crunchy. I had had thought beforehand as to whether we should have brought our own packed lunch (length of time to be served being one criteria with Covid restrictions in place). I should have gone with my, er, gut instinct. While one could dine inside though with limits on the no. of tables, there were plenty of outdoor tables all under huge umbrellas.

Date of visit: June 2021
Reviewed 22 June 2021 via mobile

Decided to stop and eat at June’s while visiting Chester Zoo, while we were waiting in line a worker who wasn’t wearing a mask (exempt) told us to all keep 2m apart, ironically telling us this whilst stood within 2m of us. She obviously doesn’t listen to the rules she is giving out, even if you are exempt from wearing a mask surely you need to be 2m apart or not be greeting visitors. At the till one of the men working leant over me and they all brush past you while you’re eating! Before telling customers the rules, make sure the staff are aware of them first. Awful place. Food was awful too.

Date of visit: May 2021
Reviewed 27 May 2021

We did not have an auspiciously good start. We had to queue for over 20 minutes, (and this was well afrer peak lunch time), all the while able to see that less than one quarter of the seating area was being used. The young man at the door was officious in his demand that I put on a face covering - even though I had barely stepped over the threshhold and had it in my hand to ready put on. Our order was placed at the counter - and we were told that it would be a 10 minute wait for the pie to be heated up. Then we were told to sit 'anywhere we liked' - but directed to a particular table. So why were all the diners put into one area taking up a quarter of the floor space? After waiting 25 minutes, we alerted one of the staff that our meal had still not arrived as promised. Our hot drinks were now lukewarm - which matched the food which then finally arrived. I found my fishcake warmish, but the accompanying chips had clearly been fried and then left to dry out under the heat lamp for too long, so had become inedible. For a zoo that prides itself on sustainabilty, why then was the milk (UHT) served in those little plasic pods that go straight to landfill? All in all, a rather unfortunate, not to be repeated experience and which lets down the zoo, which was very good. I think June Mottershead would be embarrassed to have her name put to this eating establishment and I hope the animals are better catered for. If we come again, it will be with our own sandwiches...

Date of visit: May 2021