“Stunning dood”

Price range: US$10 - US$55
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

Lovely little cafe with great decor and plants everywhere. The coffee and food was amazing - definitely recommend the huevos rancheros!

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

Found on google by chance. Reviews were spot in. This is a fantastic tucked away little cafe with so many attributes. Sitting at the forefront of a quaint indoor market it served tasty cakes, big breakfasts and the most delicious hot chocolates with marshmellows and flakes!! Toilets were clean and cosy. Seating was comfy and the staff were generous and helpful.

Highly recommend over mainstream cafes on the high street!!

Reviewed 28 March 2018

Nice and popular with a good selection of food and drinks on offer. Good location but plenty of other cafes around. Shame you can't customise breakfast more.

1  Thank Em C
Reviewed 15 March 2018 via mobile

I have been coming to the primrose for many years with my husband, we came in the evening mostly and were sad to see that stop.

Today (Wednesday 14/3/18 around 13:30) I thought I’d take my 1 year old for lunch at an old favourite, but the kind, welcoming spirt has very much left the building.

I asked if there was room for the two of us before entering as I know it’s tight with a buggy. The woman we asked looked and said there was only a 4 person table, she said rather brusquely that if we were eating (which we were) we could have the table.

As we entered and asked for a high chair, the woman bringing a high chair asked me to please fold my buggy, which I replied I would, of course, once my son was actually out of it.

Then once I had got us sitting down I was approached by the woman who have given us the table, ‘I have a table of four who need this table, I’m going to see if there is a table for two upstairs for you’ I said that was fine and we would happily move if there was another table for us. The woman returned downstairs and said ‘there is a table for two upstairs but I think it will be to difficult for you to go there with all your things’ I said I’d happily move upstairs and leave our buggy downstairs by the coat rack (it folds very small and would easily fit out of the way) ‘no the table of four are leaving now anyway’ I said I’d be happy to move anyway so the table would still be available, she said no she’d lost the table of of four so never mind. ‘It’s much better set up across the road (indicating East Village Cafe) for children anyway, they have baby change and more space’.

Despite this I proceeded to check the menu and go to order with my son in my arms at the counter. Having seen no kids menu and this being the first time I’ve taken him to the primrose and also being told ‘they weren’t really set up for children’ I just assumed I was going to have to pick an adult meal and let him eat what he wanted from it. I ordered the fish finger sandwich and the Korean chicken burger without issue.

When it arrived the waitress asked me why I hadn’t asked for a small portion for my son. I responded that it hadn’t been offered nor did it say anything about this in the menu. She responded ‘ah well we can give you a doggy bag if you want’. A few moment later the woman that showed me to my table came and exclaimed ‘I can’t believe he (pointing to my son) will eat all of that!’ I responded that of course he would not but that I was never offered a reduced portion to which she proffered the same offer of a doggy bag if required.

The chicken in my burger was a little gristly, but my son enjoyed some of the fish fingers.

I then was told that an old woman needed to join me at my table as there was nowhere for her to sit. The waitress took away the folded buggy (sitting under the table) and seated the woman without me really having a chance to respond. Not really a problem as she was perfectly pleasant, but it just added to my feeling that my son and I were taking up a table that other people could be using and that we were therefore not welcome. I focussed on trying to finish as quickly as we possibly could so we could go and stop being such an imposition.

Having loved the primrose for more than 10 years and been regular customers I will not be returning having had such a horrible experience.

2  Thank Emma H
Reviewed 7 March 2018 via mobile

Came to Primrose for Sunday brunch on a cold February, after reading all the rave reviews of the place and as its at Clifton Village close to the Suspension Bridge which I was visiting after the cafe.
As soon as I got there, I was greeted by the crowds already sat outside and as you walk through the front door you immediately know its a busy place. Theyve got upstairs seating and outdoors but every table was occupied inside so I had to settle for outside which I can see being lovely in the summer but not very pleasant during winter although they do have blankets on the outdoor tables for customers to use. The other side of the outdoor seating has some outdoor heating directed to the customers too which I thought was a good thing to have.

To order you have to go up to the counter which can be challenging as the place is quite small especially when packed, I would suggest to find a table then go up and order.
The menu is extensive offering your usual breakfast and brunch stuff like full english or 'full monty' as they call it, eggs forentine, royal, etc, waffles and so much more.

I opted for the eggs royale which came out not even 10 mins from ordering, so service is very prompt. The food itself was good, decent amount of salmon and lovely hollandaise.

I would recommend the place but try and visit early to get a table!