“Must visit, impressive monastery ”
Review of Ta'er Monastery

Ta'er Monastery
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

It was the first stop of our Silk Road tour, and we came away impressed by this beautiful hundred years old Buddhist temple. We learned about Tibetan culture as well.
This place is definitely popular tourist destination.

P.S. Restrooms are clean and well maintained.

All reviews
"ground"
"china"
"km"

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Covering a huge area, the monastery is an example of Tibetan Buddhist temple. It'll take a whole day of walking to see everything. Especially unique is the way they bow in praying whereby the whole body goes down onto the ground repeating it every few step of the way going around the buildings.

Reviewed 5 May 2018

We flew from Beijing to Xining in the morning and checked in our hotel by lunch time. We caught a taxi to Ta'er Monastery and got there in early afternoon. Ta'er Monastery is huge and situated on a slope. Three hours in the afternoon seemed too short for us to check out all temples. The architecture of the temples are beautiful and particularly the Golden Temple. In one courtyard we saw a large group of young monks happily practicing debating, which is always wonderful to see. Although the altitude is only around 2300 meters, we were short of breath and light-headed as walking up the slopes. So, spare more time if you plan to see all temples at Ta'er Monastery.

Reviewed 24 December 2017

My first visit here. I came with my local friend, we didn't get local bus, as it would take a hour to get here. we joined the rickshaw, 4 people in a car, so that each of us spent 15 RMB, we tried to save more time, as we got off the car in front of the entry of this temple. It was free of charge for my friend as he is Tibetan, it costs me 80 RMB to get in. we didn't get in so many temples inside as my friend not worth it. We saw so many group of people have their own paid tour guide to explain to them. some of them are misleading we found that. Me and my friend walked around this monastery, some of the Tibetan doing their own ritual along side the road. I don't doubt about Buddhism but this monastery become more commercials now, perhaps it's getting famous my friend said.