Open today: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Review Highlights
Holly Tibetan Buddhist temples & shrines

Ta'er Monastery (aka, Kumbum Monastery and Ta'er Temple) is an ancient Tibetan gompa founded in... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
KodoDrummer
Yekaterinburg, Russia
Get to know more about Tibetan Buddhism.

If you are interested to know more about the Tibetan Buddhism, it is definitely worth to hire an... read more

Reviewed 16 October 2018
Tan_WeeKee
Singapore, Singapore

All reviews first stop tibetan buddhism three hours take pictures entrance ticket bus station buddha monastery architecture photos yuan tourists sculptures taxi butter china body
Reviewed 5 May 2018

We flew from Beijing to Xining in the morning and checked in our hotel by lunch time. We caught a taxi to Ta'er Monastery and got there in early afternoon. Ta'er Monastery is huge and situated on a slope. Three hours in the afternoon seemed too short for us to check out all temples. The architecture of the temples are beautiful and particularly the Golden Temple. In one courtyard we saw a large group of young monks happily practicing debating, which is always wonderful to see. Although the altitude is only around 2300 meters, we were short of breath and light-headed as walking up the slopes. So, spare more time if you plan to see all temples at Ta'er Monastery.

Date of experience: September 2017
Reviewed 24 December 2017

My first visit here. I came with my local friend, we didn't get local bus, as it would take a hour to get here. we joined the rickshaw, 4 people in a car, so that each of us spent 15 RMB, we tried to save more time, as we got off the car in front of the entry of this temple. It was free of charge for my friend as he is Tibetan, it costs me 80 RMB to get in. we didn't get in so many temples inside as my friend not worth it. We saw so many group of people have their own paid tour guide to explain to them. some of them are misleading we found that. Me and my friend walked around this monastery, some of the Tibetan doing their own ritual along side the road. I don't doubt about Buddhism but this monastery become more commercials now, perhaps it's getting famous my friend said.

Date of experience: November 2017
Reviewed 20 December 2017

We were very impressed by the monastery. Our tour guide was very professional, friendly and funny. we truly enjoyed the tour. i have very little exposure to the Tibetan cultures, so, this experience is very interesting to me. i wished the tour guide next to us didn't use a loudspeaker tho. This place is to sacred for loudspeakers...

Date of experience: October 2017
1  Thank moumou199
Reviewed 31 October 2017

This temple was for the teacher of Dalai and Banchan Lamar. He created the Huang Jiao, one kind of Tibetan Buddhism. There are many Tibetan people praying there.

Date of experience: September 2017
Reviewed 2 October 2017 via mobile

The place is not too far away from Xining downtown , if you are in a road trip , it’s about 25 minuets drive from city to monastery temple , if not , also you can take a bus from Xinning ( if nothing wrong with my memory ) bus station, 6rmb for one trip .
The ticket is 80 rmb each , if you are a fan of Buddhist or want to know more about, it’s also a best place to visit and learn something about. I don’t think there has best season to visit the temple, but , around Chinese New Year and 6th June in Chinese calendar, they do some special events there, it’s kind of Tibetan culture.
It’s more quiet in the morning, peaceful like the spirit of Buddhist. the temple was built in Ming dynasty (1733) , in temples , have different sculptures of Buddha , looks more solemn. Also can see lots of Tibetan praying. More shocked to watch them praying. Kneeling down and then whole body touch the ground.
The door sill of each temple is little bit high, people says need step over it directly, meant you will through the obstacles in your life easily as well.
Hope next time when I visit this place, can take my boyfriend to go with me. As We been planed that since September in 2016.

Date of experience: October 2017