“Must visit place on your list if you trip to Qinghai ”
Review of Ta'er Monastery

Ta'er Monastery
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed 2 October 2017 via mobile

The place is not too far away from Xining downtown , if you are in a road trip , it’s about 25 minuets drive from city to monastery temple , if not , also you can take a bus from Xinning ( if nothing wrong with my memory ) bus station, 6rmb for one trip .
The ticket is 80 rmb each , if you are a fan of Buddhist or want to know more about, it’s also a best place to visit and learn something about. I don’t think there has best season to visit the temple, but , around Chinese New Year and 6th June in Chinese calendar, they do some special events there, it’s kind of Tibetan culture.
It’s more quiet in the morning, peaceful like the spirit of Buddhist. the temple was built in Ming dynasty (1733) , in temples , have different sculptures of Buddha , looks more solemn. Also can see lots of Tibetan praying. More shocked to watch them praying. Kneeling down and then whole body touch the ground.
The door sill of each temple is little bit high, people says need step over it directly, meant you will through the obstacles in your life easily as well.
Hope next time when I visit this place, can take my boyfriend to go with me. As We been planed that since September in 2016.

All reviews
"ground"
"china"
"km"

Reviewed 11 September 2017 via mobile

We came here as a last stop after 2 days trip to Qianghai Lake and Chaka salt lake. I had only seen a few photos and read a little about it but I was not sure what to expect. For me I have travels and seen a lot of temples in China however it was the second time in a Tibetan monastery and I was surprised of how beautiful it was. Some building looks super new and some are the actual deal.
We came just one hour before closing time so we had to rush through the main buildings. This monastery is huge. This is an active temple with probably around 1000 monks living here, and we could see them everywhere. From what I was told these monks are allowed to get married and have work.
One of the buildings have the roof covered in gold.
There is also an hall with statues made of butter. You do not get an actual feeling that it is made of butter because they have painted it and covered it with something to keep it in shape.
You are not allowed to take photos in the Buddhist areas which is understandable but also a pity as I saw so many nice things that I wanted to photograph.
The entrance ticket was 80 rmb. Worth a visit.
A bit strange is the monks walking around with IPhone plus, making calls and playing video games.

Reviewed 6 August 2017

This is one of the 'must see' places near Xining. One can see some remaining traditions of Tibetan Buddhism. From the parking area, you have to take escalators to reach the commercial area. From there, you need to take a shuttle bus to the temple. Although one can choose to walk, there is practically nothing to see on the way, and it is quite a distance. The temple was extremely crowded when we visited on Sunday afternoon. To enter any of the famous buildings, we had to line up with a big crowd. For those who have not seen a Tibetan temple, this would be a nice introduction, but a good guide would be needed.

Reviewed 5 August 2017 via mobile

I enjoyed seeing this attractive, popular monastery. There is an entrance charge. I was wearing mid-thigh shorts and advised I should have my knees and shoulders covered out of respect although it was too late then to change and I was still allowed in. However, better to wear longer trousers or skirt if you can. The monastery has many buildings to look around with a route marked on the back of the ticket. It is still an active monastery and we saw many monks. You can take photos outside the temples but not in them. This was clearly marked.

To get there we took a public minibus from xining Road bus again that took about an hour and cost about 14RMB. A note on the return - the first place the bus stops for the return journey is in the centre of the town, not where the bus drops you off. Go to the first stop or you will find the buses are all full and it will be hard to get back to xining. It's walking distance from the monastery in the other direction from where the bus dropped us off. You might need to ask directions.

See more reviews
Reviewed 22 July 2017 via mobile

If you go to other monasteries in Tibet, I think you can avoid this one. It is a monastery for tourists. There are a dozen small buildings/temples inside but it lacks authenticity. You can see a few tibetans coming to pray, but you'll especially hear the Chinese guides yelling to their group. No pictures are allowed inside the buildings (which is usual in every bouddhist temple). We visited it in about two and a half hour, visiting every building available.
If you wish to go there, no need for a taxi. There are tourist buses that come from the center of Xining, it's very easy, just ask your hotel. I have added the picture of the back of the bus so you can recognize the sign. It costs 3 yuan and takes about an hour.
When the bus drops you, no need for a rickshaw, just walk 5 minutes, up the street.

1  Thank Flo1986