“The Castle is nice, the product overpriced”

Graf von Faber-Castell'sches Schloss
Reviewed 20 July 2017

I love visiting this castle, for the xmas fair or to go and see the factory. The grounds and garden are well taken care of. But the products in the store are highly overpriced.
My daughter wanted a certain box set with water colors. She needed to pay it herself and found it on Amazon for 260€. Since we were in the neighborhood in June, I told her, let's go to the factory store and get it there. I assumed it would be at least a bit cheaper there, since it is directly next to the factory, and there are no middlemen like Amazon needing to earn on the deal as well. Well.... at the store it was costing 395! The exactly same box set! No golden rims, or so. I mean I would have given some money on top, if it would have been a bit more - just because we would have gotten in on location. But THAT much more? No. I asked the lady in the store how can that be and she came with "We have a store with people that need to earn money, Amazon has only shelves." Say what??? Amazon does have shelves, a lot, on multiple locations in Germany, and there are people working as well. But they are also a middle man who needs to earn something on the deal. Which the Faber-Castell-(Outlet-)Store does not. We left and ordered it on Amazon. Came the next day. That's how you drive people to online purchases.

1  Thank difelidi
"tour"
in 4 reviews
"museum"

Reviewed 29 May 2017

I used their color pencils when I was small so I have been longing to visit their factory. It is a benefit if you know German because the tour is conducted in German. Tour lasted for about 2 hours and we received a 15% off discount card. With that we could enjoy 15% off at the shop.

Reviewed 20 September 2016

Arrange for a tour of the pencil production (guides available for English, French, German & other languages) then the beautiful grounds, gift shop and the castle. Pencil production is a favorite of children. We saw several schools on tour.

Reviewed 21 December 2015 via mobile

The Faber-Castell residence was very nicely restored and it keeps years and years of history the only problem is that there was no way to find out about it as the tour and all signs are in German only.