• Breakfast included
Blue Emocean(Moyo Island)
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsfishaman resortsdive mastermy partnersea planeprivate beachall kindsmany timeslocal villagebeautiful islandair conditioningevery mealwaterfall tripworld classstayed nightsmagical placebeautiful location
Reviewed 30 October 2017

My boyfriend and I stayed at Amanwana for three wonderful nights and really wish we could have stayed longer! It's really the unique accommodation that sets the place apart - beautifully designed and ageless - with stunning views out onto the sea. Great food, particularly the Indonesian fare; lots of places to sit and relax; gorgeous wildlife; friendly and prompt service, along with a warm welcome; and excellent snorkeling...definitely ask to go with the dancing octopus (one of the most incredible things we've ever seen!). The live aboard boats are stunning and definitely on our must do list if ever we can. Thoroughly recommend.

Stayed: October 2017
2  Thank Natasha G
Reviewed 27 September 2017

We had a great time at Amanwana. We had an ocean tent. It was directly on the beach about 15-20 meters away from the other tents. Our welcome experience was great. got off the seaplane right on the dock, was greeted with a cold towel and a drink while someone took our bags to our room. Check in process was in the room. Our air conditioning worked fine. The hotel room has two air conditioners, so its hard for me to believe Martin L, the other reviewer, who said they had a bad welcoming experience. To be fair, the air conditioning does not cool the room to refrigeration temperatures, but it cools it to a comfortable sleeping temp. (cooler at night than the day) We were actually at this hotel when that large family arrived. Moreover, we saw the hotel prepare a large table in the restaurant for them and wait on their every need, just as they did for us and every other guest there.

The people that work at this hotel are overly gracious. They anticipate your need and do everything possible to cater to all of your needs.

I made the mistake of feeding the monkeys when we got there. DO NOT FEED THE MONKEYS. There was fruit in the room when we got there and we didn't want to eat it. However the monkeys got a little aggressive with us after i fed them. they came by the same time everyone afternoon jumped on our tent and stared into our windows looking to be fed again. the girls that worked at the restaurant taught me that i can simply pick up some rocks and show them to the monkeys and they will back up and run away. The monkeys are around the property every morning and afternoon, eating grass and playing in the trees and on the beach. if you leave them alone they will leave you alone. In the restaurant, two girls stand guard with a sling slot to encourage the monkeys, not go into the restaurant. it is effective. We did see one monkey run top speed through the restaurant and steal a lunch roll however.

In addition, there are a couple of resident "wild" deer that were there. You can hand feed them. It was really nice.

The diving was a little disappointing. I dove four reefs all in the same general area. Angel Reef and Labuan Aji. I did enjoy the diving as the dive operation is well run. the rental equipment is very nice, the dive staff is very talented and accommodating. All of the diving is private diving as you and your guide are the only ones on the boat. However it was disappointing to see how beat up the reefs are. Lots of spots of broken coral. I assume this was done over the years due to bottom fishing, however it is possible that they were damaged by storms. i dont know. If you are an avid diver, and coming to Indonesia to dive, i would recommend that you find additional locations in Indonesia to dive beyond Moyo island. Although the coral reefs were relatively beat up, there were some nice spots. the highlight of the diving was more about floating along the reef and looking into the blue as opposed to looking at the reef. lots of big fish here and lots of huge schools of fish that were 1000+ fish swimming in unison. Saw some sharks, giant travalley, big tuna, huge bump head wrasse, trigger fish wahoo, baracuda...

Food here is great too. For a full board hotel, the food choices are extensive and the chef is great. Everything we ate was great. Including awesome fresh fish, gigantic prawns, and wagyu ribeye. breakfast doughnuts (beignets). Also, the lamb curry is a must. the best i have ever had.

we hiked the ridge trail out to crocodile point one morning. This was a nice one hour walk.

While the waterfall trip was fun. the waterfall itself isn't the highlight. they are relatively small waterfalls (to be fair, this could be since we were there at the end of the dry season, hadn't rained in a long time) but it refreshing to swim in the river and tour guides are great. it was educational to see the local village, and ride in the 50 year old Toyota Jeep on a so called "road". we also saw a few buffalo about 10 meters away. this was exhilarating. they are very big animals.

The highlight of the trip was chartering the Aman outrigger for 4.5 hours for a private snorkeling trip / lunch to Tanjung Pasir. Packed the cooler with Bintang for me and a white burgundy for my wife. Sadik in the restaurant also customized our lunch order for a nice steak sandwhich for me and a tofu BLT for my wife as well as fresh baked chocolate chip cookies. As always fresh fruit skewers were included as they are on every Aman water excursion we went on.

The snorkeling at Tanjung Pasir was the best snorkeling we ever did. we had a day with >30M+ visibility. We saw an incredible amount of different types of fish and corals. Also some large (1000+) school of fish. The service on the boat was extraordinary. I highly reccommend this tour. Herry did a great job for us. Just as every employee at Amanawan did.

again the local workers at this hotel are awesome people and make Amanwana a great place. always taking care of us with any requests including some small things and always consistent. for example one night we were having a cocktail before dinner. they brought out some nuts as they always do, and my wife said to me that it would be nice to have potato chips. in about 5 minutes without asking, we had a bowl of fresh home made potato chips. simple but really nice.

Room Tip: all tents have ocean view, the ocean tents are beachfront with private lounge chairs others must walk over to the common beach area
  • Stayed: September 2017, traveled as a couple
4  Thank thefuzzy
Reviewed 20 September 2017 via mobile

We visit Amanwana with the whole big family, a group of 6 adults and 5 children in 4 tents.
Our first experience entering the room/tent was dirty with broken air con in the middle of very warm weather. I asked the butler about the situation and he said he will send engineering team right away.
After about half an hour the aircon hasn't fixed yet, since I am so tired after early morning flight and hours of flying then I try to call the front desk but nobody answer the calls after many times.
Good welcoming experience with Aman

Stayed: September 2017, traveled with family
5  Thank Martin L
Aman_PR_Team, General Manager at Amanwana, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2017

Dear Martin L,

We are very grateful for the time taken to share your feedback on Tripadvisor. We are pleased that we were able to rectify these concerns during your stay at Amanwana. We look forward to welcoming you back to your Moyo Island home in the future.

With kind regards,
Andrew Cullen
General Manager, Amanwana

Reviewed 1 September 2017 via mobile

Certainly this place is amazing
A place to desconet and relax 100%
Go to the waterfall it's incredible
Snorkeling is impressive. The food is good
And the stuff super nice. How ever if you had even in another Aman resorts Do not expect the same standards Its lacking the sensitivity and the refinement of others Aman
For example. Cheap shampoo
No tropical fruits ( you are in Indonesia a fruits paradise ). Just small details ..

Stayed: September 2017, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Fercho9
Reviewed 29 August 2017

I love everything Aman Hotels so my reviews will be all Aman . So, we flew here from Bali by a seaplane to this beautiful island off the coast of Indonesia and then, at the airport, we were picked up by a speedboat and we went to this something I can't imagine- luxury tents. From the moment I stepped foot on this resort, everything was above and beyond my expectations. The rooms are beautiful and the beach, the resort, the food and if you're a scuba diver, do take advantage of scuba diving in this resort. Every single day of our 5 days, I went scuba diving and and this is heaven above and under water!

• Stayed: July 2017, traveled as a couple