“Bus depot surprise”

Taka Sushi House
Ranked #131 of 300 Restaurants in Newmarket
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 26 October 2015 via mobile

What a pleasant surprise after a long day of travel. We had an hour and a half to kill before our night bus pulled into the Newmarket GO station, so we clamored over a few curbs and through a parking lot to a plaza sporting a non-descript sushi restaurant. We were dog tired and cold so I started with some energizing - and tasty - miso soup. Next we ordered a sushimi (seafood) bento box which proved to be equally delicious. The server was perfect -prompt and efficient with no hovering. One might be tempted to say that we were hungry, and thus the good review, but 2 Japanese tourists on the way to Barrie for a skating tournament enjoyed the food as well. We got back to our bus in lots of time, feeling well looked after. Would recommend this hole-in-the-wall whether traveling or not.

1  Thank Chris V

Reviewed 4 October 2015

The food was great, service was average and overall we went to eat and we ate good sushi. Will probably end up going back.

Reviewed 2 September 2015

Oh let me start by saying. Sushi Itto in aurora way better than this place for food!! That's number one.

Unfortunately, I had a sushi craving today and sushi Itto isn't open on Sundays. So I ventured out to this place. My family and I use to come here every other weekend but we got a little ticked off by the service just rude in general so we decided to stop coming hence how we found sushi Itto.

I decided to come here anyways try it out again. The food isn't bad, nothing to write home about but that wouldn't make me give it a one star. What does deserve a one star is Pompous jerk that was serving us.

He had the nerve to come to me and said we were wasting food! Never have I ever had someone say this to me because I NEVER waste. There was one time at masa in Toronto where I couldn't finish and went to the cash and offered to pay to bring the food home. Thy charged me $8 and I was happy to pay and tipped VERY well on that. Anyways, this horrible waiter said he took many plates with food, not sure if he's old or just blind or mixing up tables because all my plates were done. So sorry I didn't know I had to eat every bean sprout on the plate and the shrimp tail for you to believe that it's done. The only thing I returned was their general Tao chicken which was literally sweet deep fried soggy bread with no hints of recognizable chicken.

So after he comes to tell me this, I am pissed beyond belief and can't finish my meal, I get up to the cash ask him to come see me when he's done serving his tray. I tell him to bill me whatever he wants but I'm never coming back. Where he says "whatever". Good way to keep your customers!!! He charge me $5 and an extra $1 on each persons meal. Think I didn't catch that, please.... Revenge is a dish best served cold and here's mine!!!

Bill come to $41 and I don't tip. Anyone want to venture why???

I know my stuff guys, customer service is the most important and I've never had such bad treatment in my life at any sushi restaurant, it was utterly disrespectful.

Reviewed 23 May 2015

for an all you can eat this is great quality. they are hard working people and you can tell they care. dont expect a super fancy place because this is not fine dining but if you want pretty darn good quality sushi and all you can eat treat, you will not go wrong in this place. I really enjoyed my dinner and the service was quite good considering the waiters had to make countless food runs. I give them credit for good food quality and consistent acceptable service.

Reviewed 22 December 2014

I was surprised to see that Taka sushi didn't get amazing reviews... This is actually a really good sushi place!! I have been to quite a few different ones in the area and I am always disappointed by them where as this place is always excellent and always consistent! The rolls are always tight and don't fall apart on you, all of the fish tastes very fresh (all the other places I have gone to the fish tastes like fridge.) A few of my favorites are the spicy salmon rolls, California rolls, green dragon roll. Their tempura is always a good texture. The staff is friendly. They are busy on Friday and Saturday nights but the service is still pretty good during that time. A few times I left extra sushi on the plate and they have never charged me extra. Price is good for AYCE sushi!