“Amazing diving,fantastic crew , Good food 7d6n trip 11/2 -2018”
Review of Mikumba Diving

Mikumba Diving
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Welcome to Mikumba Diving. We offer affordable diving trips in Komodo National Park and Raja Ampat area. We strive to provide an unforgettable overall experience for our guests on our diving trips in these legendary regions. With a focus on safety, service and good times we look forward to show you the wonders of Indonesia aboard our traditional wooden phinisi boats.
Useful Information: Stroller parking, Stairs / elevator, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase, Lockers / storage
Reviewed 10 March 2018

First of all I want to thank the crew, fellow passengers and Mikumba Diving for an awsome trip. Me and my girlfriend and two friends went for a 7d6n trip in Raja Ampat in the middle of February.

Here is how my trip with Mikumba was;

Diving; Rating: 5+
Absolutely amazing. I am not the most experienced diver but this is without question the best diving experience I have come across. Plenty of marine life all the way from nudibranches to huge manta rays, nice reefs covered in corals etc. Great DMs which was helpful, experienced, and really good at finding cool stuff to look at. A special thanks to Andy which was our DM during this trip.

Food; Rating: 4
I was a bit worried before this trip that the food wouldn't be the best but man was I wrong. It is not luxury dining but the variety and taste were good.

The boat; Rating 3
This boat is not a luxury boat but it does the job. The boat is somewhat smaller than the other vessels we saw during our trip, we got assigned to the lower 4-bed cabin which was cozy and plenty of space for our backpacks. We had some engine troubles during our trip but these problems were solved while we were diving.

Crew: Rating 5
The best! Helpful, friendly and experienced.

Summary;
If you are on a budget and wants to experience some of the best diving in the world and meet new friends at the same time I can recommend you to go for a trip with Mikumba Diving onboard the Ratu Laute! Now I need to get back to work so I can start saving for the next trip! Cheers

1  Thank Martin L
Hugo M, Manager at Mikumba Diving, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2018

Hi Martin!
Thank you for your review, we're very pleased to hear you're happy with your time with us! Hopefully we will meet again.

Kind regards, Hugo

in 4 reviews
"marine life"
"amazing dive sites"

Reviewed 25 February 2018

I’ve dived all over the world and this was quite simply my best ever diving experience!

We completed more than the planned number of dives, each of which were awesome ... I’ve never experienced anything which comes even close! We changed route for safety reasons, which wasn’t a problem.

The crew were absolutely fantastic, nothing was too much trouble and any issues were sorted as quickly as possible. A great team, friendly, obliging, professional ... they actually made the trip the very best it could be.

On board food and drink was varied and plentiful ... they always asked if anyone needed any more and cooked this if needed. I’m a bit choosy in the food department ... so if I’m happy, most likely other folk will be too.

This is not a luxury vessel, as advised on the website ... it’s simply the best diving, on a liveaboard which has good food, fantastic staff and which is very good value for money. So much so, I’ve booked again for next year, I suppose that’s the best endorsement I can give.

I look forward to welcoming in the new year 2019 aboard the mikumba ... there was a fantastic atmosphere onboard for the whole trip and I’m sure it will be just as special next time.

3  Thank shl123
Reviewed 15 February 2018

I did a 7d/6n live aboard with Mikumba and loved every second of it! Really wish we had just booked the longer trip!

The Crew:
During our stay all members of the crew - not just the dive guides - were fantastic and friendly, which is so important. They were knowledgeable about the dive sites and passionate about the marine live that they must have spent so much time with. The dive crew gave great briefings, and they led a fantastic trip. Making sure everyone saw the best marine life possible. The boat crew were also great. A special shout out the Erik who drove our speed boat - great hair, big smile and so polite (ladies first!).
The atmosphere on the boat was great. Relaxed and friendly, but also professional. Max was a great guide, who could talk about marine life all night and had great eyes for spotting those weird macro critters.

Diving:
I won't talk about the diving too much, but it was INCREDIBLE!! Such beautiful diversity, from majestic manta rays to wee little pygmy seahorses (3 different species!!). We experienced very little current, the dives were relaxing and exciting all at the same time! We saw devil rays, turtles, nudibranchs, mantas, stunning corals, barracuda, eels, trevallys and so much more! The diving is famous for a reason.

Food & Accommodation:
The food was DELICIOUS! Everyone knows that diving makes you hungry, and we got more than enough food. A light breakfast before the first dive (cereal, toast), a larger breakfast (eggs, sausages, fried rice, fried noodles) after. I'm vegetarian and I was given a separate option on each meal (I felt a little guilty about the extra work for the chef, but it was so tasty!) Lunch after the second dive, snack after the third, then dinner later on.

It's Indonesia, so expect Indonesian food (After all, it's what the chefs will know best!), but half way through the trip we did have a pasta / pizza night that we all loved!
The cabins are comfortable and clean, with a/c (we did spend one night sleeping on the roof because the sky was so clear we could see ALL THE STARS!) there are hot water showers (amazing after the night dive where we saw the awesome walking shark!)

We also had a presentation on manta rays from Barefoot (a manta ray conservation organisation) - great to dive with a dive centre that care about the marine life they see!

All in all, it was a great trip, and we're already looking to book to dive around Misool with Mikunmba!

Hugo M, Manager at Mikumba Diving, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2018

Thank you, Lydia.
We're happy you enjoyed your time with us in Raja Ampat! We had a great time with you and you're more than welcome back!

Reviewed 8 February 2018 via mobile

Had a first class experience from start to finish with Mikumba Diving! Fred the owner was very professional and helpful in helping me to plan and organise the trip. The crew on the boat, led by instructor Max were really helpful and friendly for the week I spent on their liveaboard, Ratu Laut. Finally, the diving in Raja Ampat is out of this world with an amazing selection of sea life and probably the best and healthiest coral you will see anywhere in the world! Would thoroughly recommend Mikumba Diving!

Thank you for joining us on a diving trip in Raja Ampat, Mark!
We're happy to hear you had a good time and you're always welcome back anytime.

See more reviews
Reviewed 4 February 2018 via mobile

We did the New Years tour with mikumba diving and it was an unforgettable trip:)!

The diving in raja was exceptionally good! For me it's the best diving area on the planet the coral triangle! Sites we visited like Melissa's garden , eagle rock, the passage , cape Kri and many more are most beautiful and no where else you can find this biodiversity on our planet I love the diving in those 100% healthy stunning reefs there a lot but -
The diving with the guides of mikumba makes that place even better! Their knowledge about raja and the divesites is very good! And fun fun fun! We had loads of it! Don't forget the extraordinary landscape of raja! -we visited view points like piaynemo wich let me still have goosebumps when I think about....

In the beginning we had some troubles with bad weather (first night heavy like worlds ending storm/rain and cause of that water leaking in some cabins-happened once but there where thunderstorms every day..) and some broken parts on the boat (generator-kompressor) , those problems kept us heading back to waisai the first two nights , but the problems where solved as quick as possible. The crew the guides the owner did everything that we got the trip what we deserved. The problems we had could happen on a vessel almost in the middle of nowhere raja is still very remote. I had some kind of those problems before on Maldives (broken generator or problems with compressors) as well the point is how the crew/owner managed those things.

So, from day number 3 on that trip it was perfect! I celebrated my birthday on 31th and it was memorable! Will never forget:)) being at the local island village jetty of arborek at midnight , having funny party with all guests of the island in a clear full moon night and totally calm sea watching fireworks and going for a nude swim;)

The food on board is basic but ok, in the morning bacon , eggs , noodles etc. bread or toast even Nutella if u like, Papaya and melon was standard , for lunch and dinner you get no fish on board! Chicken pork beef, in the beginning it was not that delicious for me but it get better and better day by day and finally it was very good stuff;)? afternoon snacks before night dive or just for sunset was also provided some days, like baked bananas with Nutella yummy

Mikumba ratu laut is a budget boat yes, but that's good so! For people who wanna have fun and very cool diving with awesome people and don't mind that it's not that luxury should join mikumba diving! I met a lot of nice people that trip and planning already to come back 2018 so as 2019.

Thanks for that memorable trip again to all of u - crew guides and owner! Cu again bintang time cheeers:)!

1  Thank Kevin G

Hi Kevin! Thank you for your review. The new years-trip is a trip we won't forget in some time... both because the good party, amazing diving, but also the unexpected problems we struggled with. However, we worked hard to find all solutions and we are very happy to hear that you are satisfied with everything and that you will come back one day to dive with us again! We are delighted to hear that you got to have an unforgettable birthday with us on the boat and on Arborek island with our friends from Barefoot conservation.

all the best,