“Good location shame about the rest.”
Review of Hotel Camila

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Pagadian City
Hotel Camila
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Pagadian City
Reviewed February 15, 2017

My girlfriend and I have lived in Manila for three years and have come to Pagadian for a vacation for Valentine"s and to visit her family.

Check in experience:
Fast, efficient, not especially friendly, no smiles from staff.

Room:

As we walked to the room along the corridors we noticed stained walls and peeling paint. We were getting worried. We had a deluxe room and as we got close it because apparent that we were staying in a recently refurbished part of the hotel.

The room was adequate in size, and felt roomy and airy.

Having had a good look around, it was obvious that there is a serious issue with the housekeeping staff here. They're only carrying out 'cosmetic cleaning' - easy to reach table tops etc. The black tiled bathroom had not been washed, just soaked with water. All over were dry water marks INCLUDING the drinking and toothbrush glass.

Toilet not flushing, had to use water from the shower.

The table was clean on top but it seems the last time someone had cleaned under the glass was somewhere around JC's last supper (picture attached.)

There were finger prints on the walls and other dirty marks (picture attached.)

The air conditioning worked fine and was powerful enough for the size of the room but it was ill-fitted and there was a substantial gap allowing direct sunlight into the room which kind of made the black-out curtains seem a waste of money.

The bed is comfortable enough with soft clean linen.

We ordered room service at 6:30pm and this is where things started to really go downhill.

We ordered:
1: Classic pizza sampler
2: Marinara pasta
3: Putanesca pasta
4: Black forest junior cake
5: Hershy's fudge chocolate cake.

One and five were off the menu, staff were unsure about three and said they'd call back. They did, and it was also unavailable.

We changed it to Milanese pasta. That was also unavailable. We asked which pasta dishes WERE available and we're told 'sorry, we have no pasta'. (tip to the staff: may have been a good idea to say that at the start?)

How a hotel can run out of such a basic ingredient as pasta with two supermarkets a five minute walk away beats me, ESPECIALLY when one of the things they sell in their delicatessen shop is...yep, pasta (picture attached.)

So, we changed the two pasta dishes to club sandwich and cheeseburger and had a different pizza.

The food arrived after 35 minutes, that's fine.

He put it down, we paid, he left.

I looked at the pizza and noticed that the grated cheese was not melted but still grated. I touched it, stone cold. Burger, fries, everything stone cold.

We called room service and explained. No apology was offered, we were told they'd come get the food and reheat it.

I refused to accept this and told them to come and collect the food and bring our money back. The room service staff also insisted that the food could be reheated.

Have you ever tasted a reheated pizza? You'll know the texture if you've ever eaten an old leather boot. For a burger to be cold means it's been sitting for awhile meaning it's already over cooked (it continues to cook in it's own heat) meaning that if it were reheated it would probably resemble a black casino chip.

Note to management: I do NOT appreciate being told by someone half my age that reheating food in a hotel is OK.
It is NOT OK.

We ended up getting our money back and went out to get a McDonald's. We took it back to the room and it was warm, even after 5 minutes travelling in a trike.

The Internet was fine and fast except that at midnight I suddenly lost connection. I'll just explain that although I live in the Philippines I still have business and clients in the UK and was in the middle of editing a client's website at the time. I never sleep before end of UK office hours in case a client emails me with an issue so that I can deal with it immediately. We called front desk and asked if they knew what the problem was and, get this, they turn off the Internet between midnight and 5am. WHY would a hotel do this? I've stayed in hundreds of hotels from small family run guest houses to five star resorts all over the world and have NEVER experienced this. Perhaps it's to save electric? I mean, we all know how costly those big, bad, electric guzzling, flashing router LED lights are.

Unfortunately, when we woke in the morning I felt unwell and we decided to stay another night instead of heading back to my girlfriend's parent's house. They had already booked our room so and told us that they'd have to move us to a downgraded standard room on the third floor. We were fine with this, it was short notice and wasn't their fault.

WiFi in this room non existent, no hot water and AGAIN the toilet didn't work. Looking at other reviews there is a LONG history of the toilets not working in the hotel and they obviously deem this as too insignificant to fix.

The attached pictures tell the remaining story about this room.

We went to sit by the pool so that I could have a smoke as all rooms are non-smoking. We ordered a beer. I asked for an ashtray and we're bought something that hasn't been cleaned in months and also had an old butt from a previous smoker. (picture attached.) it certainly wasn't from us; my girlfriend doesn't smoke and I smoke Winston - different coloured butts.

My girlfriend noticed that during our 48 hour stay, we were not once greeted with a smile or the traditional Filipino 'hello Ma'am, hello sir.' you can't even go and buy a drink in the 7 Eleven in the Philippines without even the security staff greeting you in this way.

I'll finish this review by saying that after having lived in the Philippines for three years, I've stayed in many many hotels in various provinces and resorts. Where there's been a problem I'm always mindful of my thoughts as I know that here, those working in the hospitality industry work so hard for, often, little reward.

I've had problems in the past, small problems, but I've never stayed somewhere where the staff tell me to eat reheated food, and generally don't care.

Stayed: February 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Stu22031972
Jeff A, Manager at Hotel Camila, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2017

Dear Sir,

Thank you for staying at Hotel Camila Pagadian! Your exacting review is truly appreciated and is what we need in order to improve. We appreciate that you pointed out that the fact that your being in the Philippines for three years has familiarized you with the diversity of cultures and standards across the country and we can only be glad that your short stay with us have informed you even more. Perhaps we can address some of the issues you mentioned.

1. Confusion with the menu. The time you arrived was actually the day we came out with a revised menu and what you must have seen was the older print, causing you to order some items that we were no longer offering: Marinara, Putanesca, etc. Your pic shows the pasta and indeed we retail it but as mentioned, we no longer keep inventory of the ingredients for dishes that we had PHASED OUT. We apologize that this caused you undue stress.

2. Reheating of Food. We apologize that you received your orders cold. Pizza normally takes half an hour to prepare and cook (mentioned in the menu) so having your orders at 35 minutes after was actually within the ballpark. Perhaps it was the extra 5 minutes that rendered it really cold. Had you allowed us to reheat them, we would have seen to it that the food would still be of high quality before serving it back to you. We do understand that you disliked this idea. You will be satisfied to know that the erring staff has kindly volunteered to be charged for this experience.

3. WIFI. Those hours mentioned are needed for our system to refresh. This is vital in keeping our WIFI FREE & reasonably fast during the hours that our beneficial to 99% of the users. Please remember that we do not cap the data among our guests nor restrict the number of devices. In contrast, our ISP has very strict data cap policies and if breached, will render our free WIFI unusable for everybody. For sure, you would call us out again when this happens.

4. Maintenance & housekeeping. We do take periodic maintenance work. It was unfortunate that your toilet was not functioning properly. Our standby maintenance would have been only too eager to sort it out for you. As for housekeeping, we have informed them of your concerns. They sincerely apologize for their shortcomings.

5. Lacking in attention. We find this a little hard to fathom as our staff have often been lauded as the most attentive and courteous among the local establishments. It is true that this week had been very hectic for all of us but coldness or rudeness from our people is almost unheard of. Anyway, we do sincerely apologize that you and your wife had not received the care and attention that you yearned for. We will try harder next time if you give us another chance.

We hope that you and your lovely wife had a beautiful Valentines in Pagadian! We hope that you would visit our city more often. We cannot wait to greet you “Hello” again.

Reviewed February 4, 2017

Hotel crew assisst us in the selection of room and pool is free to all guest. Staff and front desk crew answer needs. Rooms are clean and maintain. Location is very accessible to the public since it is located in the heart of the city.

Room Tip: New rooms are best.
  • Stayed: February 2017, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 18, 2017

Pagadian city is a small provincial city in the Zamboanga area of Philippines, with few hotels or restaurants aimed at visiting tourists or business people. The process of getting around town or out to the airport via the local tricycles is usually sufficient.
The hotel Camila has a good central street location, but the hotel rooms are small and basic with small hard beds, limited door/window security, weak aircon, very slow wifi and old tired furniture. The safety box safe is an essential item in any Philippines hotel room and it did not work and it took hours for management to wake up and attempt to fix it properly. There was limited available food and beverages necessitating wandering around dark streets of the town trying to find the 1 decent restaurant that was open. Not recommended as a place for any type of extended business trip.

Room Tip: check room security
  • Stayed: November 2016, traveled on business
Reviewed January 18, 2017 via mobile

Good for the price.
Clean nice room looking down over the pool.
Nice eating by the pool restaurant area.
It's not 5 star.
Wasn't expecting perfection.
Staff were helpful with requests.
Kitchen has problems delivering items on the menu. But lots to pick from.

Stayed: January 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 30, 2016

As a first timer in Pagadian, I had no idea where to stay. I initially viewed 3 others hotels within the city and ended up with Hotel Camila. First, it was in the center of the city. Just a few meters away from the government-owned shopping mall, C3 and of course, Gaisano Mall. The hotel is perfectly situated near Mercury drugstore, South Star drug and Banks making access a breeze.

I have to commend the front desk officers (Cydel, Loren and Hamz) who were really kind and professional. They responded quite well with my questions and requests. The room was good for its price. It is newly renovated, clean and decent. More than the place itself, I was impressed with the hardworking staff and I can say that it made my 4-day trip all memorable and worth it.

Will I stay in Hotel Camila again? Yes.
Will I recommend this place to my friends? Yes.
Take it from me, it's affordable, decent, stable Wifi connection, hot shower, fair ambiance for its class, has a clean, working elevator, swimming pool (though needs constant cleaning, didn't try it during my 4-night stay), professional staff, a cafe and 2 restaurants. Who could ask for anything more?

Room Tip: 3rd floor renovated room is a must! It's like your typical Deluxe budget-hotel room in Manila. A...
  • Stayed: November 2016, traveled on business
0.7 km away
GV Hotel Pagadian City
GV Hotel Pagadian City
#5 of 12 in Pagadian City

Been to Hotel Camila? Share your experiences!