“Good Pub Food”
Review of The Bell Inn

The Bell Inn
Ranked #2 of 3 Restaurants in Broadheath
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Bell Inn is the quintessential village pub. It is in the heart of the village in so many ways, from serving local foods and ales to our regulars,to catering for weddings, presentation evenings, skittles nights, then there are our many annual events from beer festival,sports days, Santa's visit and fireworks night. However the thing we are most proud of is our food and the service that goes with it. We have two excellent chefs who produce some of the finest food you will eat in the county and all this is at extremely good value for money with wonderful service in a most relaxing atmosphere.Don't miss out try us soon, and look out for our "Pensioners Perks" or our "Early Diners Special"
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Visited here about 2 years ago for pre Christmas carvery and although ok wasn't overly impressed so I wasn't that keen when booked in for another family meal Easter Monday. This time we ordered from the full menu which had a reasonable selection. We all selected a different dish ranging from rump steak, fish and chips, chicken fajitas, butternut squash pie and steak and ale pie. When it arrived it was piping hot and tasty and everyone enjoyed their meal. Prices were fare although we did think 70p for a dash of lime was a bit steep! Overall a very enjoyable meal.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Well what can I say, apart from fantastic
All our meals were perfect, I had pork belly and I can honestly say it was one of if not the best meal I’ve ever had in a pub.
The restaurant was very busy ( good Friday ) but still everything was perfect, food, drinks, waitresses, bill.
We were that impressed we came back the following night and all had different meals again fabulous.
I personally would highly recommend this place and if we were ever in the area again we would definitely return to the bell inn.
A bonus for my 8 year old he found a fiver on the way out

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I never leave reviews, but I really had to get my thoughts on my visit to The Bell earlier today. I'll start at the beginning...

We walked in and it wasn't clear where we had to go. We had to flag a waitress down to get seated. We were seated quickly and handed menus.

The menus were quite dirty with various old food splattered on them and even a corner missing from my girlfriends. Not a good start but they were legible so I got over this quickly.

We'd arrived about 20 minutes before the rest of our party so we waited for the waitress to come over and take a drinks order...and waited...and waited. 10 minutes go by and nobody has come over to us. There's only 3 other tables in the room, but it's fine we got up and went to the bar to order our drinks to which we were told to go back to our table and someone would come over.

After a couple of minutes had passed and our waitress appeared ready to take a drinks order. I order a bottle of cider and a glass of water. At the same time, while we were waiting for the rest of our group, we ordered some bread and olives.

The drinks took another 10 minutes (as well as the waitress forgetting my water, which even after reminding her I never received). My cider came with a tiny amount of ice in a very obviously old scratched glass which to be honest looked disgusting. The bread and olives seemed to take forever.

While we were waiting for the bread and olives we were informed the kitchen would be closing at 5 (it was about 16:40 at the time and we were still waiting on 3 members of our party to arrive). I thought this was quite rude as we'd waited at least 10 minutes for just some bread and olives - surely you'd have these ready to go?

The bread and olives, when they arrived, were very nice and once we ordered our mains promptly before the 5pm cut off.

The food didn't take that long to come which was good. I had a burger. It was fine. Someone else in the group had the fish dish and commented that it was very bland and flavourless. 3 members of my group had "The Bell Inn Special".

All 3 had cold vegetables on their plate (no so special after all) and after the waitress was notified she offered to get another portion of broccoli for the table which we thanked her for. By the time it came everyone had finished their food, so it was too little too late. This is where the service became excruciatingly slow.

It took 4 trips for our waitress to clear our plates (there were 7 of us on the table) to which in total took at least 5 minutes if not longer to clear. This might not be too bad usually but we were no more than than a dozen steps away from the kitchen so it really shouldn't of taken so long.

We ordered desserts and they started to come out fairly promptly....to begin with.

It was clear that our waitress had forgotten to put through one of the ice creams for the table and blamed it on "a mix up with the checks". A little tip for the waitress - just tell the truth. It makes for better customer service.

Once the dessert that had been missed was put through to the kitchen (a single scoop of chocolate ice cream) it took a full 12 minutes between the first dessert getting to the table and the last. At this point there was only 2 tables in the restaurant including us so why it took so long to simply scoop some ice cream into a glass dish is confusing to say the least. Also seeing chefs walking around clearing the Carvery that been out that day was annoying as surely our food should've been prioritised over cleaning down? Just a thought.

The dishes were cleared (slowly yet again) and we asked for the bill, paid, and left fairly swiftly.

From a customer point of view it was clear the waitress had not received a lot of training and there was definitely a lack of management throughout our entire visit (2 and half hours).

I really don't want to hand out a 1/5 but I just can't see any positives from my visit. I won't be recommending to friends and family.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Good food and excellent value. Not outstanding, but good food. Service very good. Pub a little cold if I’m being honest.

Reviewed March 3, 2018

Visited for lunch good pensioners menu and a varied main menu on offer.

Service was friendly but not as good as it could have been in other places visited.

It was extremely cold however in both tbe restaurant and the bar. Which marred our visit slightly. But wouldn’t out me off visiting again to try other dishes. The ploughman’s looked exceptionally good. The brocolli and Stilton soup was delicious.