US$174
US$81
TripAdvisor
Village Inn(Nyanga)
Jumia Travel
All reviewszip liningwhite water raftingtable tennisputt putttea factoryswimming poolgolf coursehidden gemhornbill housebird watchinghis teamtucked awaybest kept secrettree canopy tourexpert guidestayed longerdelicious food
Reviewed 11 March 2018

Quite a long drive to get there but well worth it. A stunning part of Zimbabwe with so much to do. The rooms are lovely, food delicious homemade meals and service is excellent. We will definately be back to stay.

• Stayed: March 2018, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JaneWatson
ChristopherMCragg, General Manager at Aberfoyle Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2018

Dear Jane,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review Aberfoyle Lodge. It was a pleasure to meet you and have you stay with us. We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed yourselves and hope that we can accommodate you again in the near future. We promise that your next visit will be even better than the first.

Reviewed 6 March 2018

We had a fabulous trip with friends and their families over the long half term week end. Rooms are really beautiful and serviced to the highest standard, the meals superb (well done again Chef!) and the staff friendly and very willing.
Facilities kept everyone busy morning, noon and night! There is quiet to be found and space to enjoy this idyllic place in our beautiful country. Thoroughly recommend it to anyone and everyone.
My only criticism is the really poor WiFi reception - I understand the location is 'remote' however the satellite internet feed is not the issue, rather the wireless hot spot and WiFi reception is unreliable and frustrating. Cell phone signal is non existent so it means this facility really needs some attention please.
Will be back time and time again. Thank you to Chris and your wonderful staff.

Room Tip: They are all great!
  • Stayed: February 2018, traveled with friends

Dear Lxbruss,

Thank you very much for the review of Aberfoyle lodge. It was such a pleasure to have you and your family stay with us.

I am so happy to read your review and how much you enjoyed your stay. I must apologize about the wifi - I did try everything I possibly could to get it sorted whilst you were here but unfortunately the large storm that we have that first day meant that certain parts of the system were not responding the way that it should have. Being so far away from town means that we have to use satellite internet which is also affected by the weather. I am pleased to let you know that it is working well again.

I look forward top having you back soon.

Have a great week.

Reviewed 5 March 2018

Spent a family weekend at the very end of Honde Valley Road. Rainy season and hence a mission and a half to get there. But absolutely worth it. Very caring host and tasty food. Complements to the chef. The place is extremely lush and green and very tranquil. Take the location into consideration and be aware that getting supplies may be difficult at times. But do go there. And don’t miss the tea factory which confirms - among other things - that there is hope for Zimbabwe. What a lovely little country.

Stayed: March 2018, traveled with family

Dear Trendyfox,

Thank you so much for the wonderful review. We love reading reviews such as yours as we know that we are doing things right. We are always looking to better ourselves and promise that on your next visit you will see this.

Reviewed 5 March 2018

A group of 7 family's including ourselves made the trip to Aberfoyle over school half term in February 2018 for 4 nights. Honestly was the best 4 days away we have had for a long time. Lots of golf, snooker, swimming, zip lining, table tennis, squash, tennis & fishing. We even went bum sliding down the most amazing waterfall which was a huge hit with the kids. The food was absolutely delicious and the service brilliant. The wonderful chef there even made a beautiful birthday cake for one of our group who had his special day during our stay.
4 days was definitely not enough and we could have done with one more night. Chris Cragg does a fantastic job at managing Aberfoyle and we were all made to feel like family. We have all decided to make this an annual group trip so will be back in full force next year. Highly recommend this heavenly spot to all!!

Room Tip: Seedcracker was awesome but all the rooms are lovely
  • Stayed: February 2018, traveled with friends

Dear Gina,

As always it was such a pleasure to have you and your family stay with us. Thank you so so much for the very detailed and kind review.

Your family is an absolute pleasure to have at Aberfoyle and we always look forward to you arriving. I know that when potential guests read reviews such as yours they will getting the exact feeling of what we are trying to give every single guest that stays with us.

I look forward to having you here again soon.

Have a great week.

Reviewed 25 February 2018

The location is truly stupendous and the view from the large terrace is unmatched. The room itself is huge and spotless ... but it's furnished without too much thought, the furniture is bland and the buildings themselves are uninteresting, I was given a room with a large broken window, a stripped umbrella on the terrace, the wifi didn't work, the credit card machine didn't work (for my US or my UK card), but most of all ... the hotel is wildly overpriced. Just crazy expensive. I guess the thinking is that there's not much else in the area so folks won't have any choice, but if so, then it's a very short-term strategy. I won't come back. A real pity, as even the dinner was superb. (Breakfast was average.)

Room Tip: Seedcracker room is large with a large terrace.
  • Stayed: February 2018, traveled on business
ChristopherMCragg, General Manager at Aberfoyle Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2018

Dear MMMIIII,

Thank you for the review. I am very disappointed to read it though. Firstly and most importantly because it really upsets us when we have a dissapointed client. Secondly I do believe that it is an unfair review of Aberfoyle Lodge. Let me start by appologising for your dissapointment, but I must clarify a few things so that other readers of this review will know that Aberfoyle Lodge is an incredible Lodge and our team will go above and beyond to make their stay as amazing as possible.

I know that it was explained to you that we had just had a HUGE storm come through the area a few days prior to your visit. You would have seen first hand evidence of this due to the vast number of huge trees that had fallen around the area. This is what had broken that window pane on our executive room as it faces the golf course and took the brunt of the storm. This was also why the umbrella was stripped an broken. Unfortunately being so far from suppliers meant that I did not have a chance to get the pane and umbrella fixed before your arrival. I had in fact gone in to harare to get the relevant materials to fix this. You were offered another room by my team as an alternative though. Mother Nature does affect us every now and then and unfortunately there was very little that we could do. We are so sorry that we couldn’t fix this before your visit - there are however beautiful teak screens on each window which would have protected you from the elements and any insects.

As for your comments on the rooms themselves I am very surprised to hear this and is the first time anyone has ever said anything like this since our major renovation to the rooms. You may have missed that each room is named after a very special and rare bird that is found in the area. Each rooms interior is taken from the color of that beautiful bird. This is written in the room so I am sorry that you missed this. If you read the history you would have learnt that the lodge was built in the 1950’s as a club with bachelor flats for the managers of the tea estate. The buildings are beautiful and reflect the 1950’s. The history of Aberfoyle is a large part of why it is such a special place. We will be doing another major renovation of the large central areas in the coming months and will always maintain the importance of the History of the lodge through our interior and design.

I am very sorry that the card machine did not work as it should have been working. No excuses here.
The WIFI is satellite internet and is sometimes affected by clouds.

As for your comments on the price of Aberfoyle Lodge, you requested an executive room which is our highest priced room. Our rates are very competitive throughout Zimbabwe and include a beautiful three course dinner and Full English breakfast. Getting supplies to such a remote place and maintaining a very high standard of food, grounds, golf course and buildings is not an easy or cheap task when the prices of supplies are heavily inflated at the moment. Prices from $130 per person per night including dinner, bed, breakfast as well as unlimited access to tennis, squash, putt putt, swimming pool, snooker, darts and table tennis.

If you would like to discuss any of the above any further then please do email me directly and I will be happy to assist.
Once again I apologize for your dissapointment and do hope that you do one day come back to experience Aberfoyle Lodge again so that we can change your mind and give you the experience of a lifetime.