“Gourmet Burgers, not quite!”
Review of Derby Lodge

Derby Lodge
Ranked #2 of 13 Restaurants in Huyton
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We go to the Derby Lodge occasionally only because it is handy (about 5 minutes walk away). We went there last week and I ordered a 'Gourmet' double burger.

Now imagine the scenario if you were the chef or should I say cook at the Derby Lodge:

you have the burgers on the grill and you burn them black on one side, you have three options:

1. throw them in the bin and start again

2. flip them over, keep an eye on them and make sure they are not burnt on the other side and send them out in the hope that the customer will not notice

3. flip them over, burn them black on the other side as well and then send them out in the hope that the customer will not notice

Guess what I got? Yes, option 3, these 'delicious' quarter pounders were black, hard, wafer thin and shriveled.

I find it incomprehensible that the person in the kitchen had the nerve to actually send something like this out to a paying customer. Honestly, if i worked in that kitchen I would have been too ashamed and embarrassed to send them out.

On occasion we have had some good meals from here. However, it is so hit and miss that you just don't know what you are going to get. Perhaps this is due to different cooks being on at different times but I think that at the end of the day it is down to the management to ensure that they employ people who are competent in what they do. I mean at the end of the day it wasn't as if we were going there expecting a fine dining experience but come on, a trained chimp could flip a burger without burning it, why cant they?

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We had lunch on a cold spring day in the Derby Lodge. We sat in the conservatory, which was lovely and warm and afforded extensive views across the Bowring Park Golf Course. The menu was standard chain pub fare, with a few vegetarian options, and I chose a very tasty sweet potato & feta lasagne. The service was very friendly and efficient. There is good disabled access, but be aware that it is a long walk from the main entrance to the dining area.

1  Thank deverestackpole
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I've visited before and the food has been lovely. On this visit I ordered the 10oz steak. After cutting into it, I found it extrememly fatty to the point where I couldnt cut it with a steak knife. It didn't look appetising at all and even my friend at the table commented on it. I called over our server and I told her I wasn't happy with my steak. Instead of apologising and resolving the problem, she was trying to convince me that the steak is meant to be like that. I had to argue because I've have a 10oz steak many times before and its never been that fatty to the point where I want to send it back. I argued that it should be tender and easy to cut. It visually looked awful. After trying to convince our server that the steak was not edible, I asked for a different meal. I then ordered the salmon which was delicious. Our server could have been a little bit more friendly about the situation. It felt like we were bothering her and even when we polietly asked for more drinks and pepper for the table, it felt like she wasn't approachable. Overall, I did enjoy my visit but I think our lady server should have made it her duty to offer more professional customer service.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I went here with my friend and our 5 year olds. The kids meal was lovely and just the right size. We got a mixture of starters which we really enjoyed. Service was good and despite being busy was quick. We will be back

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We stay regularly at this Premier Inn which is a great Premier Inn. However, it is let down by the onsite restaurant. We opted for the meal deal, £23.99 for an evening meal, two course meal plus drink plus breakfast next day. Great value. The breakfast was fine. However, it was very busy in the restaurant on the Friday evening so things were not as smooth as they should have been The bar area is really poor; seats well worn and ripped; tables piled with empty glasses and plates. More staff needed. Service in the restaurant was ok but again mistakes made ie starters served after our main courses? It’s convenient if staying the Premier Inn but not a great place to eat or drink in the evening in terms of food and service.