“HOMELY ATMOSPHERE WITH TRADITIONAL MAURITIAN FOOD ”

Domaine La Gaulette
Ranked #9 of 10 Restaurants in La Gaulette
Price range: US$6 - US$45
Cuisines: Seafood, International, Bar
Reviewed 26 May 2017 via mobile

On my way to Le Morne in the Black River district on the 25th of May I ran into this pretty village restaurant Eldorade , in La Gaulette , presumably renamed.
I happened to be the only client at lunch this afternoon.
I was greeted by the waitress with a broad smile and shown to a table for two.
I decided to have a local dish , Fish curry with aubergine in a thick sauce with salad and rice.
The dish was extremely tasty, and was prepared by the owner of the restaurant, who was also doing the cooking herself.
I did really enjoy the meal . The proprietor
came to me personally and asked if I enjoyed the food, which I was very happy to say yes.
She took time to sit and chat with me and gave me a little bit of her background and how she started together with her husband ,whom I also met during the course of my conversation.
She also mentioned that most people staying in the vicinity come at dinner time, when she is kept really busy.
She was very glad that she was able to spend time with me.
The prices are very reasonable for the quality of the meal offered.
I will make it a point to visit them again on my next visit to Mauritus.
If you happen to be in the Black River area do not hesitate to visit this very homely Mauritian restaurant.
It's well worth a visit.
Thanks once again for your hospitality.
Warm regards
Randolph Perera

Date of visit: May 2017

Reviewed 28 February 2017

Driving from La Morne to the Black River Gorges National Park we were looking for a place to have lunch around La Gaullete and came across this restaurant which is now called Eldorade. It turned out to be a bad choice. The place has zero ambiance and poor service. We selected the fried calamari and chips for starters. The calamari was hard and chewy and the chips were undercooked. As mains we skipped the usual grilled fish and steak but wanted to have a more local experience so chose fish curry and the salted fish curry. Both were served with steamed rice. The fish curry was average. On the other hand, the salted fish curry did not have any richness of taste to balance the saltiness of the fish so the result was a curry which just tasted overwhelmingly salty. It came with a separate tiny bowl of tasteless lentil soup which did not contribute to the experience. The mains portions were small but the food was quite pricey in comparison to what was offered. In the end we did not feel like we got a good deal and regretted having tried this place.

Date of visit: February 2017
Reviewed 31 January 2017

Now called Sugar, was Sirokan, etc., BTW: Fantastic fish - curried, or grilled dorado and nice rum drinks with fresh herbs. Good house wine as well, at bargain basement prices! A gem relative to to nearby hotel ripoffs and a fantastic little authentic Mauritian gift shop just nearby across the road, by the supermarket (also gifts and great bargains).

Date of visit: January 2017
1  Thank Don C
Reviewed 30 October 2016 via mobile

Came here for Divali and the restaurant was nicely lit for the celebration. They had a 3 courses special menu for 600Rp. Food was OK, nothing amazing but it was nice and I find the price not expensive.

Date of visit: October 2016
Reviewed 24 October 2016 via mobile

We found this restaurant as we were staying close by. Our car wouldnt start so we called in for a drink, to figure out what to do.
We had experienced some very shoddy customer service and general attitude issues in Grand Bay, so when we walked in to the bar out faith in Mauritian people was restired.
The owner, Vish, lent us his phone, spoke to the rental company and then called the apartment owners to tell them where we were.
After heading back to the apartment for a quick change, we decided that we would head back to eat, as the tables were beautifully laid.
The food didn't disappoint, it was stunning.
Chef Paul certainly excelled, the service was amazing, and the evening culminated in Vish, his brother Sam, parents Dave and Fifi, chef Paul and us dancing and drinking the night away until the early hours...

An amazing night with fantastic food and the best hosts.

Date of visit: September 2016