“A special family lunch”

Al Gatto Nero Da Ruggero
Ranked #1 of 33 Restaurants in Burano
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 5 November 2018

We booked for a special celebratory lunch for 8 of us never having been before but researched the restaurant . We arrived a little earlier and were given a complimentary glass of presseco. We had a table inside with other Italian families. The atmosphere was relaxed and friendly. We opted for their large sharing platters of fish, one raw fish platter and some of charcuterie. The pay were all great and the cooked fish platter was beautifully cooked. We selected different options from the menu, including the fish soup, I had tagliatelle with spider crab and some had grilled monkfish- everyone loved the food and my pasta was the best I have had for a very long time. Staff were prompt and interested in our wine choices - giving us some chances to try various wines. We had a lovely time. We asked about a drink that was offered at the end and were promptly offered this gorgeous liquorice mix with ice cream and vodka! Perfect for our event and a really lovely Italian experience. The wines were reasonably priced too. It is a little noisy in the restaurant but reflected the Italian style and family atmosphere.

Date of visit: November 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (1,834)

Reviewed 23 October 2018 via mobile

We had an amazing lunch here on Sunday. The food was incredible, the hospitality was first class and the setting was so beautiful. Massi the Manager looked after us so well and we will always remember the amazing afternoon we spent here. We had the mixed seafood starter which was so delicious, followed by the very simple but perfect seafood risotto. My husband had the mixed fried fish main which amazing and we then shared the tiramisu which was the best i have tasted. We were also kindly brought a glass each of sgroppino which was lemoncello, vodka and sorbet blended together which we absolutely loved! Thanks to all the staff, we hope to return again one day!

1  Thank JP7778
Reviewed 22 October 2018 via mobile

A little bit of Edinburgh on the Venice lagoon. We were looked after superbly in this lovely family restaurant in the heart of Burano and had sublime food, suggested and delivered by Massimiliano, the owner, whose accent is part Venetian, part Lothian. The kitchen is run by his parents and they create amazing seafood delights... the mixed seafood antipasti was beyond all expectations, my Sea Bream was delicious and served with the tastiest vegetables ever, my daughter had Monkfish and Langoustines and my wife (not a fish fan) had the best Calamari. Don't forget to try the Sgroppino (vodka, lemon sorbet and prosecco dink) to leave you feeling mellow.
Above all the genuine attention and care were so much appreciated and made it a great experience.
OK it's not a cheap night out but it seemed well worth every cent for a full and memorable evening.

3  Thank Ali T
Reviewed 22 October 2018

I've reviewed this restaurant before and can only say... WOW!

Massi is still impossibly charming and an excellent restauranteur. I have rarely tasted seafood this fresh. Case in point... my family and I bear witness that he has the fish delivered live throughout the day for the next service. We were there for lunch. My boys, read 7 and 3, loved it and they were even permitted to board the fishing launch and see the live fish.

The restaurant is perpetually sold out and its up for a Michelin star. But don't let that sway you... go for the food and let THAT sway you. Simply exquisite... Go and enjoy!

Reviewed 16 October 2018

I was recommended to 'the Black Cat' by two good friends (almost on successive days) whom had eaten here, I was warned that it was difficult to get in and so booked well ahead of our visit to Venice. I am so glad we did. A warm greeting from Max with two glasses of a very good Prosecco. Whilst waiting for our table, literally every waiter walking passed greeted us with a big smile and 'buongiourno'. Max was at university in Edinburgh, (a fact I had prior knowledge of), when I mentioned this, the Italian accent flowed into a Scottish brogue! Max is a true professional and has clearly trained his staff brilliantly. On to the food and our waiter, who by coincidence was also called Max. We put ourselves in his more than capable hands. After a tasting of a couple of wines we settled on an Angelo Scaroni Viaggio. A fabulous decision. We were steered on to beautiful tender razor clams and scallops as a starter and then shared a pasta of spider crab and cherry tomatoes, both excellent, especially the pasta dish. For our main course we shared a huge Turbot with baked vegetables and small potatoes. Sublime, is really all I can say. This is without a shadow of doubt one my favourite restaurants in Venice, well....near Venice, and on a beautiful island packed with vibrant brightly coloured houses.