“Always excellent”

Price range: US$13 - US$46
Cuisines: Contemporary, British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Description: Renown locally for a comprehensive selection of carefully prepared Vegetarian, Fish and Meat dishes. Cooked to order using only fresh, quality produce sourced locally whenever possible, giving the menus a truly "Modern British" character.
Reviewed 15 March 2017 via mobile

For me, this is the best restaurant in the area. We have spent many a wonderful lunchtime and evening here, most recently we came for the valentines set dinner menu. The service is always great and the atmosphere is lovely but the food is to die for. Every dish we have ordered has been outstanding, from a not-so-simple fish finger sandwich to freshly made pies, lamb shank, and mouth watering steaks. The portions are generous, I think the dishes are good value but not cheap. It's not an everyday restaurant, at least not for us, but it is our go to for a special occasion, or just a treat! My final comment has to be dedicated to the gardens, they do such a good job of keeping them looking beautiful all year round, in the summer they are so very picturesque but we've also sat out in them in autumn and winter with the dog and they're still wonderful. This restaurant should be at the number one spot for Telford, and certainly for Wellington!

1  Thank Abbicadabra

Reviewed 28 February 2017

Decided to try the Old Orleton as somewhere a little different and my partner and I were not disappointed. The restaurant is an interesting mix of both contemporary and old, but it works; even the 'crackling log fire' displayed on a flat-screen TV in the fireplace. I guess this reflects the fact that the establishment is privately run and not part of a homogenous chain restaurant that tend to dominate much of Telford.

On arrival, we were seated in the bar whilst our table was prepared. It was great to find that the place sold decent cask conditioned (real) ale. I can never understand why fine dining establishments so often serve fizzy, boring beer totally at odds to their good food.

It wasn't long before we were shown to our table by one of the members of staff. They were both friendly and efficient throughout the evening and some of the issues raised in other tripadvisor reviews of the Orleton had clearly been addressed.

The menu was quite extensive with a good selection of contemporary British food. I started with the chicken liver and single malt whisky pate; home-made and delicious. My partner had the salmon starter which she thoroughly enjoyed. I then had double-cooked brisket with bubble 'n' squeak whilst my partner had the wild boar loin. Both dishes were imaginative, tasty and with decent portions. We had ours served with potatoes and fresh vegetables, although chips (homemade judging by those on a nearby diners plate) and salad was also available. Somehow, we also squeezed in dessert too, although I stuck to a single portion of cheese sourced from a local maker.

We enjoyed a bottle of good red wine with the meal from the interesting and decently priced wine menu and we were also bought a carafe of water to accompany the meal.

Our dinner at the Old Orleton was great and the price was reasonable, at around £30 per head plus drinks, given its excellent quality. If you want decent British cuisine in comfortable surroundings with good service, then this place is worthy of serious consideration. We will certainly return.

Reviewed 26 February 2017

My Wife and I had a meal on Friday 24th February. We were welcomed on arrival and had a drink in the very pleasant surroundings, before being shown to our table. There is a very wide ranging menu. I opted for a beef salad and my Wife the cod and chips. The salad was very generous in size (I am not complaining!) and the beef was delicious. I tried some of my Wife's cod and it the batter was to die for. The fish was a very good size, served with very tasty chunky chips. We were both very peckish and really enjoyed our meals. There was nothing left! My daughter had given me a voucher for the meal and she could not have given me a better present. The staff were very friendly and attentive. I could not fault anything - we both had a lovely evening.

1  Thank DavidFrasier
Reviewed 29 January 2017

looked lovely, on arrival was waiting at the bar , gentleman said, i guess you have a booking , told to sit down with our drink, shown to the table by a very polite member of staff , food was ok , was a little disapointed, had a fab meal at the buckatree hotel the night before that was superior in my opinion with nice variety of veg etc and was cheaper, the person at the bar i think was owner or manager lacked warmth with his greeting and on departure

2  Thank janeNorhWales
Reviewed 20 January 2017

Visited on Monday 16th January as a party of five for a birthday treat.As usual the food was excellent and the staff were pleasant and professional.I would recommend this restaurant to anyone who likes top food in a quiet child free atmosphere.It is a true gem of a place.

1  Thank Moss W