All reviews dive resort the reefs internet connection mango float sea breeze shrimp metro manila lion fish chill house boat eels dove banana paradise balconies resources
Selected filters
Reviewed 8 July 2019

Great experience. Good communication from the staff. Got in two nice dives. The property looks like it belongs in the area and was super clean. The food was pretty decent with the pizza's being the highlight. The staff was polite and attentive to our needs.

Date of stay: July 2019
Reviewed 5 June 2019

Just a day trip for us this time, just to have a couple of dives and a nice lunch. as usual the crew there are outstanding and very helpful. The local reef is a nice gentle dive to finish off a wonderful day

Date of stay: June 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed 28 February 2019

The main goal was to get the kids PADI certified and to refresh my own skills. But wow did I get so much more. While this is certainly a diver's paradise resort (great set up for gear and camera care) it was just as valuable and enjoyable for the non-diver in our group. Snorkling at the house reef and opportunities to use other water -related fun equipment (though, in fairness, no one did during our 3 days - too busy being non busy reading, lounging, napping).

The best was the care we received from the staff. The dive staff were helpful and knowledgeable. Elmer was a fantastic spotter, even of tiny creatures like nudi brancs and skeleton shrimp. Daisy helped us with every concern. All meals offered a good selection that all of us could enjoy. The best were the shakes we could order (extra cost but worth it). I loved the omelette to order for breakfast and the kids were very happy with the French toast and waffles. Those took a little long to wait for since the hotel was at max capacity and they were one short in the kitchen.

If I could complain about anything, it would be about the dismal water pressure in the showers. But, that's a small inconvenience on the grand scale. My son took full advantage of the hammocks for naps between dives/lessons.

A word of caution if your guests have accessibility limitations. On and off the boats and the staircases would have been prohibitive for my elderly mom.

And a cautionary note...WAZE has a listing for the resort that is not accurate. The only access is by boat, so be sure to aim for their parking lot/boat pier listing on WAZE.

Room tip: All rooms have sea view!
Date of stay: February 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
diveaddiction, Owner at Portulano Dive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2019

Thank you for your response, we are glad you enjoyed your stay. Thank you also for understanding the limitations of being in a secluded area, water pressure being one of them. In our area getting & ensuring a good supply of water is complicated enough logistically and is top priority and part of conserving the water supply not just for ourselves but the villages nearby affects water pressure.

Reviewed 10 February 2019 via mobile

I came to Portulano with a group of friends from Manila. I have been to quite a few dive resorts along the coast in Anilao/Batangas and was expected Portulano to be similar. How wrong I was! Portulano is beautiful for divers and people looking for a retreat from the busy city. The rooms, common spaces and pool are decorated beautifully with comfortable chairs and hammocks dotted around to relax and chill on! The staff are friendly, helpful and on hand to help with any needs. Diving is beautiful in this area and on their house reef we saw many interesting corals and fish (including an electric clam!) I would highly recommend this resort, I cannot wait to return

Date of stay: February 2019
Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed 18 December 2018

I booked a last minute getaway from Manila, literally last minute, like I was already on the 3 hr bus ride who U sttarted contacting dive resorts. Portulano respondd promptly. The resort is vertically bult into a hill so there is a lot of up and down steps, especially being on the top floor. But the room was a great value for te money and the view was stunning. The service was gracious and my dive guide Toi was well-versed wit the dive sites.

I only was there 2 nights and the meals were fine, but they really never inched into delicious threshold. If I had to stay there much beyong a couple of nights, I think I would have been a bit stifled by the lack of menu choices, and the only other option being a boat ridde to the village. So, to be clear, the food was more than satiisfactory but not worty oof all the oter 5 star aspects of the resort.

Date of stay: November 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled solo

Thank you for your review, we're glad you enjoyed your stay. With regards to our food, many of our guests give us very good reviews on the food we serve. Perhaps the comparison to a 5 star hotel spread causes disappointment in terms of menu choices or even menu style. Our food style is not commercialised at all.

DELICIOUS is also subjective, we do not make our food very savory, nor salty but use minimal seasoning and avoid MSG altogether. We have freshly baked wheat bread, homemade jams, brick oven baked & roasted porquettas, chicken, pasta and more, we only use fresh tomatoes for our sauces, no canned products and also use fresh herbs straight from our herb garden. We believe healthy choices, using fresh ingredients and bringing out the flavor of the meats and seafood we use. We find that savory, tasty meals wear us and our guests out and where food is too seasoned and flavored, the tendency is to get tired of it. Mild natural flavors, fresh and healthy is our style.

We are also constantly looking to add to our menu, and from this feedback we will look again into which selections we can change for the better. But our spread is simple featuring: salads, seafood, poulty, meat, soup, pasta/rice and dessert, we also cater to vegetarians and gluten free requests. Giving a wider spread will have to increase prices beyond what guests normally find comfortable specially for long stays. Presenting extra choices at extra cost is an option.

The lack of menu choices is also tied into the price range. The price you pay for a larger spread is at least 3 times what you pay in our place, our buffet meals cost only USD 13, just a little more of what you would pay for in an IN and OUT burger place so with the kind of fresh and handmade selection you get, it is very good. Comparing it to a 5 star hotel spread which costs about at least 30-40USD would be quite unfair in that sense, same thing with a good sumptuous dinner in the Makati area which costs about the same on a plated meal.