“Lovely birthday lunch”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 22 August 2016

My partner and I took her mum for a birthday lunch. The food was lovely, the service attentive and the setting was great. No complaints at all and we can't wait to go back.

vernonstanwick, Owner at Old School, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2016

Thank you so much for your kind words! Folk are often quick to pick fault and your review means so much to the team !

Reviewed 12 August 2016

Today - at 10am, we arrived at the Old School - having booked a table for four, using two Groupon vouchers for breakfast. The venue is very welcoming being a schoolhouse built in the 1830's - in the pretty village of Stanwick Northamptonshire.
We were shown to a reserved table, and our drinks order was taken - tea and coffee. The drinks arrived after 10 minutes - and our meal order was then taken - 4 main breakfast. We then waited - and waited - and waited. I appreciate very much that the breakfast is cooked to order - as it should be in this type of establishment. Honestly it was a minute before 11am by my watch when it arrived - a 49 minute wait. In addition the drinks (£8.50) were drunk in the first ten minutes. No one came to us and said they were sorry for the wait (it was busy, but not fully occupied) - and I feel there must be room for improvement here - maybe a maximum aim of 30 minutes - which most establishments cooking from scratch seem - in my experience - to achieve.
May I also suggest that either a free drinks top up be offered - or at the very least a 50% discount on a second cup. I think that £17 on tea and coffee if we had ordered a second cup is too high - considering we were only having breakfast here.
I hope the Old School is able to take this review on board - its a delightful place - the breakfast was most enjoyable - and portions were generous. It was just a much longer wait than we had experienced elsewhere.

2  Thank Roger S
vernonstanwick, Owner at Old School, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2016

Many thanks for the review, I will work with our kitchen team to see why there was a long wait, you are correct that our meals are cooked to order. Please accept our apologies. We cannot offer reduce drinks on an already super priced Groupon breakfast of only £4. We are running a business that needs to pay staff! We feel our drinks are priced competitively.

Reviewed 31 July 2016 via mobile

2nd time we have used the Groupon deal for breakfast and as good as the first time. Excellent value for money. I love the fact they offer vegetarian sausages. Eggs are cooked to perfection and I love the chunky thick bread.
My husband would have liked black pudding but he is fussy....
Lovely setting too. I love this place

Reviewed 28 July 2016

We went to the Old schoolhouse Stanwick for tbreakfast,we chose a full English breakfast from the brekkie menu. Our breakfast consisted of 2x bacon,sausages,eggs,mushrooms,tomatoes,and a dish of beans and a slice of very thick toast,very filling,hot and Cooked fresh.there was a breakfast for smaller appetite,and had I seen mine before I had it ,that is what I would have ordered.there was a good variety on the menu,which was served from 9am to 11.30am.we booked our table before but I don't think you need to,although I think at weekends they get full.it is worth a visit. The staff were friendly and helpful.

Reviewed 27 July 2016 via mobile

Came across tho Old School whilst house hunting
Myself and wife both had the special
Mackerel salad
I must say it was very nice indeed one of the freshest salads ive eaten out
I hope they are as good when we next visit
We absolutely loved the place