4 people are viewing this hotel
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
$204
View deal
Priceline$227
Agoda.com$227
Hotels.com
Orbitz.com
Travelocity
All reviews bunk beds coron island the owner house boat fish unique experience barracuda lake magical place twin lagoon paddle boards air conditioning once in a lifetime kayangan lake an hour bamboo suite private deck local community
Selected filters
Reviewed May 12, 2022

There simply aren’t enough stars to give to Paolyn Houseboats and their team. What Paolo, April, Tribe Tagbanua, and their team built is a once-in-a-lifetime ecotourism experience. They have several houseboats in the main lagoon close to their restaurant. They have one houseboat in a smaller, more secluded lagoon. We stayed at both. The location is otherworldly and extraordinary. If your definition of luxury is an unforgettable natural beauty, remoteness, fresh food, outstanding service, and amazing people. This location rivals some of my favorite destinations: Ko Lanta (Thailand), Kalau Beach (Kauai), and Corcovado National Park (Costa Rica).

* Location: There is a bit of clarification for those who are not familiar with Coron Island. Busuanga Island is there you fly to. The airport is located in northern Busuanga Island. Coron town is in the southern part of Busuanga Island. Coron Island is a 15-minute boat ride from Coron town port. Coron Island is wholly owned since 1990 by the indigenous Tribe Tagbanua.
* Local Economy: I deeply respected Paolo and April, who built their team primarily of Tribe Tagbanua. Their boat tours are operated by the Tribe Tagbanua whose knowledge of these islands is incomparable. One of my favorite people was Captain Jeffrey who had a thorough knowledge of the island and where to take us. While the tourists of Coron Island visit Kayangan Lake, Barracuda Lake…and other sites start at 9:00 AM with many people and other tours. Captain Jeffrey started our tour at 7:00 AM. We were the only people on Kayangan Lake and Barracuda Lake. If that is not what true luxury is, I don’t know what is. It also is great that the boat tour profits support the local Tribe Tagbanua. The chefs, the maids, waitresses, and guides - the majority of them are Tribe Tagbanua.
* Ecotourism: Paolyn Houseboats practices “Leave No Trace” to preserve the lagoons and Coron Island. It is also 100% off the grid with the electricity generated by solar. If these houseboats were to leave, they would leave the lagoons in their natural state. Therefore, there is a way of life that has to be honored. All waste (black water and gray water) is collected daily. There is very little refrigeration. All the electricity is generated by state-of-the-art solar systems. I do advise those to travel here to understand what that is so you set your expectations.
* Food: They have a terrific menu that is Asian, American, and Italian which is shopped daily in the market and then cooked for you. However, if you are looking for a gourmet meal, perhaps a city experience is the best. I highly recommend the fish and veggie route. The chicken Adobo is a must. Their pasta dishes are decent. A tip: The team shops daily for your food. Therefore, I highly advise you to use Notes on your phone and WhatsApp it to them by 7:00 PM. Also, their lunch and dinner portions are very big. For the two of us, we tend to order 1 order of fresh fish and 1 order of veggies. Both come with rice. I ordered two meals for us and it was always too much. In terms of wine, Paolo is Italian and his selection of wine is very good. I recommend any of the Italian whites. Finally, they will boat your meal to your boathouse, set the dining place, and take everything away. It’s Michelin-level service.
* Lodging: We stayed at the Bamboo Suite and East Lagoon Houseboat. Being houseboats, they are luxurious with multiple lounging areas, full bathrooms, and full beds. The Bamboo Suite is very private and has 2 main beds as well as 2 bunk beds. We stayed here because it was the only one that met our dates. It was awesome. It does have air conditioning at an extra charge at night. Remember that it takes a sophisticated electrical solar system to do this, I can appreciate this because we are attempting to build it for a converter van. Trust me - their system is state of the art. It’s a miracle that you can charge your phone. Ladies - leave your hair dryers and hair tools at home. I have very long, heavy hair. Styling and getting dressed up will be the last thing on your mind here. Soak up the extraordinary experience instead. You can swim right off your dock after dinner. Go snorkeling in the morning and see the coral reefs and fishes. Take out the kayaks to see up close the stunning limestone cliffs and tiny lagoons.
* Incredible Team: I want to give you two examples of how amazing and kind Paolo and April are. We were in Siargao before Coron Island. We had no idea what an S-Pass was. Paolo walked us through it. Then our flight was 2 hours delayed from Siargao to Manila to Busuanga. Then we made it anyway. Throughout the entire ordeal of Philippine Airlines, they walked us through all of it and still had a van waiting for us outside the airport. April was waiting for us when we go there and set us up in our suite. The second example was an unforeseen event. My husband doused the deck with fresh water to cool it down. Unbeknownst to us, bees are very attracted to fresh water. They come from the island by boat because there is no fresh water on Coron Island. I am allergic to bees. Even though I insisted that I will be fine (I had Epi-pens with me), April insisted on upgrading us to the East Houseboat at no charge. My husband was deeply anxious about the situation and was deeply grateful. The East Houseboat is AMAZING. We ended up being the only people here until our departure.

To sum it up, Paolyn Houseboat is a once-in-a-lifetime experience for those seeking luxury ecotourism at its finest. I highly recommend it.

Room tip: Houseboat in your own private lagoon on Coron Island. Must do the East Houseboat.
Date of stay: May 2022
Reviewed May 11, 2022

Many things have already been mentioned in previous reviews so it seems silly to repeat everything, but I would just like to emphasize how unique this place is.
It is so much more than just a place to sleep. I would say it is more like being one with the nature, but in a very comfortable bed. :) We took only one night for the experience, and as many others, felt sorry for not staying longer. We even received an upgrade to a deluxe villa I believe, which was very kind of them, the view was so relaxing and peaceful.
Paolyn Houseboat should most certainly be praised for their contribution within the local community. We have heard many amazing things about both the owners, Paolo and Lyn, and their common project from people either working for them or simply living in Coron town. There should be more places and people like them in the world :)
The staff working there is extremely well trained, their service approach is top-notch and they all seem like genuinely very nice people. They say and seem to be happy to be working there and that also says a lot about the place and in our humble opinion, it should be supported. The views are spectacular, photographs that we took do not even do it justice.
The place even has 2 pet cats they take care of, we spent hours playing and petting the youngest one, so cute!
"Welcome to paradise" are the words we were greeted with as we arrived, and indeed, if the paradise does exist, I sure hope it looks like Paolyn Houseboats! ❤️

Date of stay: March 2022
Reviewed April 24, 2022 via mobile

Had a fantastic 5 days and 4 nights in Paolyn last November. We finally got to push through after 2 previous cancellations due to Covid surges. Paolo was very easy to talk to and we had no problems rebooking our trip. Upon arrival, Paolo met us and helped us move into our house boat.
We were informed about the use of the toilet, (which some other guests seemed to have complained about in other reviews) and we had no problem with it (just follow the instructions and don’t throw tissue into the bowl).
As we were still in a bubble at the time, we were the only ones allowed to visit the locations nearby and we had it almost all to ourselves. You had free use of the kayaks and paddle boards during y our whole stay. It was fun ordering drinks via radio and see the waiter/waitress, in a boat, come to your house boat with your orders. There is an option for air conditioning but we opted to just use the fans as there was a very nice breeze.
The staff were friendly and attentive to our needs. The food was delicious. Do be informed that you will have no other place to order food as you will be in a lagoon, away from the town.
We saw how Paolo engaged with the local tribe and how he took care of them. He treated them with respect and with care. If you have an opportunity to bring some vitamins or some over the counter medicines that he can give to the tribesmen , please do so.
We have already booked another stay in a few months and can’t wait to be back.

Room tip: Order the carbonara and pizza. Hummus was great! Be prepared to paddle a lot 😁
Date of stay: November 2021
Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed April 20, 2022

Paolo, his staffs, and the entire team of Paolyn Houseboats were amazing. They were all very accommodating. I need a med for my motion sickness, his staff was kind to give me some. Then, they offered to buy me more in the town and also tampons because I suddenly had a period that time. That truly amaze me because they made sure that none can stop me and my friends in enjoying their place.

There are restrictions in the place like no diving and many more but we truly understand it. This is a national park, marine reserve, and a UNESCO site and as filipinos, we understand it. Of course we also need to help in protecting the place while enjoying it.

Overall, we enjoyed the place. WE DON'T WANT TO LEAVE IT. But we'll surely come back. Special shoutout to jackie, she was very accommodating to us. We will surely request her again when we come back.

Also, Lyn, Paolo's partner, she really entertained us in the restaurant and answered our questions. She was very kind.

Lastly, try their squid ink pasta (I forgot the name on the menu) IT'S THE BEST!

See you again soon, PAOLYN HOUSEBOATS!

Date of stay: April 2022
Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed March 31, 2022 via mobile

Wow- what an amazing experience we had at Paolyn House Boats.

Before we arrived, they were incredibly helpful answering any and all of our questions via Whattsapp- especially concerning the S Pass and any documents we needed.

All our transfer to the floating house boat was arranged before and, even though we were late, they waited and picked us up! On arrival, we were greeted by everyone with a welcome drink. Everyone helped us organise our trips and find the best spots around the island to visit.

The house boat itself is amazing! We had our own dining area and 5 sun loungers on the veranda. Attached to our house was a kayak, paddle board and peddalo so we could explore the area ourselves. The views around our house boat were incredible!

On our tour the next day, we were picked up at 7 and our breakfast was delivered to our house at 6:30 so we had enough time to enjoy it before we left. As our tour guide, Jeffrey, was a part of the tribe from Coron Island we were allowed early entrance to all of the beautiful locations on Coron Island so, for the majority of the tour, we had them all to ourselves .

The food and drink we had during our stay was amazing! We were able to choose if we ate on our own boat or in the restaurant and everyone was very accommodating to us. If we chose the house boat, our food and drinks were delivered to us.

I honestly can not recommend Paolyn house boats more! Paolo and April Lyn clearly care about everyone who works with them, the local tribe who live in the island and anyone who comes to stay!

Room tip: Message then before you arrive as you can arrange a night with the local tribe to learn about them and their traditions.
Date of stay: March 2022