“Impressive fortification”

La Citadelle de Quebec
Ranked #23 of 228 things to do in Quebec City
More attraction details
Owner description: The Citadelle is an active military garrison and a National Historic Site located on Cap Diamant. Its construction began in 1820. Its walls enclose 300 years of military history spanning the French, British and Canadian periods. Guided tours of the site and the Musee Royal 22e Regiment are open year-round. Ceremonies of the Changing of the Guard and Beating of the Retreat are presented in summer and included in the entrance fee. Night tours in summer and fall seasons. Permanent exhibition "Je me souviens" relates the 100-year-long history of the Royal 22e Regiment, the Canadian Forces' sole French-language regular force infantry regiment. Learn about the lives of soldiers who have served in its ranks from 1914 to the missions in Afghanistan. Audiences will also enjoy a special exhibition every year and have access to an interactive experience exploring the built heritage of the fortress and the regiment's history through interviews, video archives, and interactive maps of battles.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 4 April 2018

La Citadelle de Quebec is located high atop the Cap Diamant and affords incredibly beautiful views of the river below and the lower city and beyond. Fun to watch the ferry boats fighting the river currents to bring passengers and cars across the river. The citadel is huge and star shaped and there are a series of 350 plus stairs leading to the top from Dufferin Terrace. It is quite a hike but worth it for the views. The citadel has tours, but we just did not have the time to do one of them. Still, walk around and explore.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,150)
All reviews
"goat"
in 174 reviews
"an active military base"
in 141 reviews
"small museum"
"plains of abraham"
in 79 reviews

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

Spent a good part of our day at the citadel. Visited the second residence of the Canadian governal general. Learned some history in a fun way. Watched the changing of the guard.
Highly recommend this attraction... go early ... not to be missed is the changing of the guard. And your ticket is valid all day.

Reviewed 1 April 2018

My partner and I did a tour of La Citadelle in January. Beautiful grounds with awesome views of the Fairmont and QC. The tour itself was pretty boring and we were literally counting the minutes til it was over. I would totally recommend if Canadian history is your thing but overall we found it pretty dull.

1  Thank brothertapdc
Reviewed 31 March 2018

I went in the middle of a bitterly cold winter. Every time I took my gloves off to take a photo, I felt numbing pain in my hands. But all the pain in the world would not have stopped me enjoying the guided tour of the Citadelle and the views are majestic. The tour is the critically important component of a visit - -you MUST take the tour.

The indoor stops along the way allowed a reprieve from the bitter winter cold and were informative, they complemented the walking tour. There were French and English options available. My French is not brilliant, so I took the tour with an English-speaking guide.

Along the way, there is plenty of evidence that this is a working military base. The various sub-stories are interesting. Effectively, there are three parts to the story that unfolds as you progress through the tour: the story of the regiment, the history and role of the fortress and the multiple exhibits in the museum. The 300 years of military history is enthralling. To the French citizens of Quebec I say this: Vous avez une belle histoire et la Citadelle de Québec est superbe.

A final note:anybody who reviews this place without taking the tour is being significantly unfair.

See more reviews
Reviewed 31 March 2018

My husband, our 11 year old son and I all really enjoyed the half day that we spent here. We were early so we toured the museum before the guided tour. The museum is organized according to the different wars showing uniforms, food rations, weapons and equipment and even interactive displays. We found the movies particularly informative and interesting.

After a thorough tour of the museum, we joined a guided tour for families. The main tour guide (in period costume) led us through the museum where we were greeted by other guides dressed in costume, acting out a role. We went on a very cold day but despite this, found the visit very worthwhile and entertaining.