“Their food ranges from very competent to highly creative”
Review of Biiru

Biiru
Ranked #365 of 6,516 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Japanese, Bar
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Ville-Marie
Reviewed 30 August 2018

We loved the experience of dining on the patio of Biiru Izakaya. We started with their hotei cocktail, which was quite tasty as they replaced the muddled grapes with passionfruit - what a treat. We tried a number of small plates, although I wish there had been more of us so we could have tried even more. Going from good to great....

The karaage well done, not special, but exactly what you'd want. They also have very nice takoyaki, as good as the best I had in Osaka. Moving into the more creativel dishes, we had a delicious ramen sarada, a perfect ramen salad with a great mix of textures from noodles,crunchty fried edamame and nori bits, delicious veg and light dressing. Their okonomiyaki was a big hit with a plethora of different mushrooms and the heavenly umami of truffle oil. We finished with a mild matcha cake with passion fruit infused whipped cream delivering lovely flavor and presentation.

The price seemed low for what we got.

Date of visit: August 2018
1  Thank sablatt

Reviewed 18 August 2018 via mobile

We were very impressed with everything at Biiru. Atmosphere was very nice (especially outside); wait staff very accommodating; tapas style food plates were perfect to enjoy multiple items. Visited with a vegan and vegetarian and both had plenty of items to choose from. Highly recommend the Glazed Pork Robs, Ramen, Edamame and desserts were also outstanding. Highly recommend!

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed 11 July 2018

I am Japanese so I know what the real Japanese cuisine. This place is hip, relaxed, fun, and cozy restaurant a middle of downtown Montreal. It's called Izakaya ( Japanese bistro) and nice which is not quite Japanese but they try to get close to it so I accepted :)

Date of visit: June 2018
1  Thank Yumi H
Reviewed 19 May 2018

Excellent food..some of the plates are very small, so sharing several dishes is a good bet. Tomato salad and short ribs were standouts. The waiter was helpful and pleasant, although he forgot one of our dishes and by the time he remembered it, we had to leave. No reservations at lunch for parties of fewer than six, essentially because it,s a popular place and ...they don,t have to! The woman who "greeted" me, and I use the word advisedly, was unsmiling, unhelpful And, when I asked to take a look at the terrasse because the weather was rather cool, retorted dismissively "if it,s too cold for you outside , it,s too cold for you on the patio". If I had not been waiting for friends, I would have left. Good food but maybe...too cool for school!. Suggestion: hire someone with a pleasant and helpful attitude to take care of the initial contact with the public . There are lots of other options in town!

Date of visit: May 2018
1  Thank montreal7565
Reviewed 3 March 2018 via mobile

THE best Japanese bistro in Mtl and i ain't afraid to say it. Service and food where excellent. No bad choices on the menu. Book ahead, it gets busy

Date of visit: March 2018