“Just like Japan”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Centre-Ville (Downtown)
Reviewed 28 September 2015

I've lived in a Japan for over a decade, so I think I can attest to what Japanese food is/should be. Having just moved to Montreal, my mission was to find authentic Japanese food. This place passes the test!
I ordered several dishes which I've had in Japan: daikon/radish salad, yakitori/grilled chicken on skewers (sauce was not like in Japan which uses shio or tare, but still very tasty), edamame (hard to mess that up), fried gobo/burdock (excellent), omusoba (never seen that in Japan, but tasted like yakisoba should), grilled miso fish (excellent). What I like about this place is that they served some simple Japanese dishes and not all of this fushion-type food which hides the true Japanese flavours.
I went at lunchtime, so it was quite tame. The waitstaff are not Japanese, but they still greeted you with "Irashaimase' and ended with 'Arigatou gozaimashita' like in Japanese izakayas. I would definitely go again.

1  Thank NagoyaGirl

Reviewed 20 September 2015 via mobile

Must try once if you haven't- the staff is amazing- the food is ok- the drink are really originals- ask for a SAKE BOMB! You won't regret it! Perfect place to go for a second- third + date ;)

Reviewed 14 September 2015

It's always busy, so we thought it must be good, and it is. It's a fun place, with all the shouting and drumming on the table you'd expect from a serious Japanese place. Staff gave us good suggestions from the menu; the black cod grill was great, the salad with a surprise was very good too, the surprise is salmon sashimi marinated in a delicious sauce.

Reviewed 12 September 2015

this is a really fun place to eat and drink. it has a real bar feel but with all the good Japanese tapas to go with it. You have to try a sake rainbow bomb when you go it's so much fun and the whole bar joins in.

Reviewed 9 September 2015

Food was generally good, but the flavor was too rich compared with authentic Japanese izakaya in my opinion. We went on a Sunday night and the place was very noisy. We had to literally shout at each other with the loud music.