“Food only okay, inconsistent service”

Skip's Fish N Chips
Ranked #5 of 74 Restaurants in Summerside
Price range: US$4 - US$13
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Private Dining, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Things you need to know before you get here,,, - Don't wait for a maitre D in a 3 pc suit to seat you. Seat yourself - Don't ask for ice. Drinks are served in very cold cans and bottles with a wrapped straw. Why? Cans and bottles are recycled across the street while dirty glasses require the use of fossil fuels to heat dishwasher. Don't ask for a glass of ice water with a lemon either. Cold bottled water is $1.00 - There are no germ infested re used menus at the table. The menu is on the wall. - If the waiter seems to be ignoring you its because he didn't notice you as a new customer. Don't sit there and stew about it. Let him know you would like to order.
Reviewed September 3, 2017 via mobile

We visited Skips because it was listed as the number 2 restaurant in Summerside, and we love a good fish and chips! Well, the fish was good, but the chips were only so-so. The tartar sauce was a packaged. My MIL ordered a chicken sandwich, and they brought her a cheeseburger. When it was pointed out that the food was incorrect, it took another 15 minutes to get her the correct food. I guess that might be considered a good thing, because it means it was freshly prepared. In the end they charged her for the cheeseburger as well as the chicken sandwich and the server who was seemingly nice when we arrived became arrogant about us paying. An incorrectly placed order was not our fault.

2  Thank Tcit
peiskipper, Owner at Skip's Fish N Chips, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2017

So... three bad reviews from the same group over a chkn burger that was mistakenly cooked as a ch burger? Yes I made the mistake and I apologized for it. I of course did not charge you for the Ch burger that was sent back. If I did overcharge you I'm sorry for that too and would have made it right with you before you left. Please contact me regarding this.

Reviewed September 3, 2017 via mobile

my family had the fish & chips special and I got to say it was the best I have had on the island. it was fast the atmosphere was awesome and sundae at the end was amazing. I cannot wait to go back. job well done.

1  Thank Brian C
Reviewed September 1, 2017

....is the same as it has been for the last several years; I`ve been going there regularly since 2011.

Skips is reliable, well run, clean, inexpensive, and always good.

Best fish and chips on the Island, by a country kilometre!

It's the fish that does it, really; fresh, delicious, very generous portions, hot, and beautifully battered; the fries and cole slaw are OK, nothing special.

The belligerent activists who contribute these so-called "reviews" slamming the place are making stuff up; they're going to Skips just to pick a fight.

For that, they should all be deep fried.

Reviewed August 19, 2017

Ordered fish and chips. It came pretty quickly; a huge slab of fish and a nice pile of fries. The food was good, the staff friendly. The restaurant seems like an older building, with apartments? adjoining it. They had a steady flow of customers coming through, with only a few sitting down to eat. Again, nothing fancy at all, just good food.

Reviewed August 19, 2017

On the positive side, the food was generous and great. On the negative side, we were so disgusted at the attitude of the owner about drinking water and the PEI environment. First, he insisted that it would be more environmental to sell us bottled water, for $1 a bottle, then for him to have to wash our drinking glasses (which he claimed required hot water heated by an oil furnace). However, when we asked him to fill our refillable cups with water instead, he refused, insisting we buy water instead.

1  Thank Mary Ellen M
peiskipper, Owner at Skip's Fish N Chips, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2017

Very happy you enjoyed your meal. Please allow me to further explain our water policy.
One of the ways we have been able to give great value to our customers is by eliminating tap water. We decided upon this after we noticed that
1- most people waste it either because of the chlorine taste or out of habit
2- the labour cost to hand wash all the cups (in case of lipstick) was significant
3- the cost to then run hundreds of cups per day through our dishwasher was expensive - not just the hot water (heated by oil) but also the chemical, electrical and maintenance costs
4- with tap water also comes the added cost of making ice and lemon slices.

So we had 2 options... keep the tap water and serve smaller fish..or...leave the fish size alone and serve an ice cold spring water bottle for $1.00 that can be taken home, then recycled.
The latter made more sense to us and our local customers. We post our policy outside our door so that people who don't agree with it can choose to eat somewhere else or order take out. You on the other hand decided to come in and argue our policy forcing me to sound rude by my refusal to change our policy. Then you post a 1 star review because you didn't get your way. Nice.