“A little different ”

Ranked #2,090 of 9,071 Restaurants in Toronto
Neighborhood: East York
Neighborhood: East York
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Dropped in for a late lunch and ordered one of the sushi combos: 6 sushi 6 rolls.

They first delivered a small noodle ball soup. Interesting and tasty. Then came the salad which was also different since it had greens like spinach instead of just iceberg lettuce.

The sushi and rolls were good.

Reviewed August 20, 2017

The Kintako menu is very enticing. However, what I have tasted unfortunately missed the mark. We tried the following rolls: Kintako, spicy salmon, dynamite, and California. As well as the miso soup and their standard salad. The soup was absolutely dreadful; as if it was boiled so long that the pot itself affected the taste. The rolls were a little different in their appearance and in some with a different components added; I suppose it's the interpretation of the chefs. Yet, the taste just missed the mark for me; some rolls were a bit too bland (lacking in flavour) others were heavy on the rice, which adds to the blandness. Overall, the flavour profile was not the greatest.
The decor appears worn out and dark. The washroom is small and not well supplied (they ran out of the paper towel/had no dryer). On positive note, the place appears to be very kids friendly. There is a change table in the washroom, and they have high chairs. Oh yes, they also have a kids menu.
It is hard for me to judge the service as I see some great feedback here, on Trip Advisor. However, I have to be honest about my experience; the service was poor. The waitress was all by herself during a busy lunch service with a full house. Yes, there were people still waiting to be seated, and the waitress had to play the role of the hostess as well. Needless to say, everything came slow and the "check out" was even slower. There were questions that I had about the menu but decided not to bother because the server was already overwhelmed.
Not sure whether we will visit again.

Reviewed July 19, 2017

Excellent people serving excellent food. Our wait staff was very courteous and helpful. The food was amazing. It was the first time our 8-year old tried sushi and he loved it (Volcano Roll). We had non-sushi eaters and they found plenty to eat. We hesitated to go here because of the location on a busy-ish street and the looks of the building from the outside. I am so glad we decided to go in! If we are ever in the area again we would go back.

Reviewed May 10, 2017

The food quality and taste are very good. Sashimi was good quality and the ultimate test was passed with the delicious uni. Udon and teriyaki were both tasty. No disappointments. Service and decor were adequate. Most authentic in this area.

Reviewed May 3, 2017

the service was terrible. after they tried to over price me the hostess rudely threw the menu over into the pile. i have never been treated so terribly