“vegan and vegetarian food that is worth going out for!”
Review of Zen Gardens

Zen Gardens
Ranked #38 of 1,116 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Central London
Reviewed 28 November 2016

i was at the zen gardens, London, twice last week and have to tell you that you really do have to eat here. the staff is fantastic the food wonderful and it is well worth going to this restaurant!

1  Thank John N

Reviewed 26 November 2016

My wife and daughter are vegetarians (sometime vegans). My son and I still eat meat. Zen Garden is the kind of place you can go that satisfies vegetarian/vegans but others will enjoy the food too. My favourite in Kung pao combo.

Reviewed 23 October 2016

I was rushing from a conference to teaching a class in my hotel room on a rainy night - discovered this small vegetarian restaurant a half block from the hotel - great food, reasonable price, friendly staff. I would definitely go back!

Reviewed 5 October 2016

I live in London, Ontario and Zen Gardens is my go-to restaurant for anything from quick take-out (call ahead and my order is ready in fifteen minutes) to dining in with friends or family (vegetarians or meat-eaters, small groups or larger groups). The space is peaceful, pleasant, and clean. The servers are all wonderful, especially Mandy and her son. They have a diverse menu so it's hard to zero in on one thing that's the best. It depends what you feel like. Here are some of my favourites that I order all the time:
Appetizers
- wonton soup, which you can get as either a small (an ample portion for one person) or a large (for sharing). It's a clear broth with fresh veggies and lots of veggie wontons.
-crystal rolls are fresh rice-paper rolls stuffed full with vermicelli noodles, tofu, veggies, and a sweet clear sauce on the side. You get two of them and if you need to share them between more than two people you can ask them to cut them in half for four pieces.
-avocado sushi hand roll is simple and delicious
Entrees
-enoki mushroom balls are kind of breaded (but not crunchy) and wrapped in seaweed with a velvety, tasty sauce -- hard to describe but the texture and taste is totally amazing
-sweet and sour lappa is burdock root with veggies in a sweet and sour sauce. First timers and non-vegetarians love this dish.
-kung po "chicken" is a mix of tofu and soy chicken bites in a spicy sauce with veggies. I always ask for purple rice on the side and it comes with some crunchy soy bits sprinkled on top.

You can also get lunch or dinner combos where they include rice, salad, appetizers and your choice of the main entree (you get a bunch of choices), all served in a bento box with tea. The dinner size comes with dessert. They have excellent vegan date squares.

Other nice touches -- if there are a few people, they will bring everyone their own little thing of sauce for the dipping things (like dumplings or sushi). They have an excellent tea menu and other drinks like smoothies and bubble tea. If it's a special occasion they have never minded if we bring our own birthday cake. If you need a fork and knife, just ask (they usually only put out chop sticks).

It's definitely a place worth trying even if you're not a vegan or vegetarian.

1  Thank Tracy I
Reviewed 4 September 2016

We've been several times, including take out. The host and waitstaff are incredibly nice and gracious. The food is delicious, with clear marking for the presence of egg (our daughter is allergic). We will go back again and again.