“Very tasty, good service, comfy vibe”
Review of The Sprout

The Sprout
Ranked #35 of 391 Restaurants in St. John's
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Cozy restaurant in the heart of downtown offering a variety of healthy choices. An oasis of amazing dishes for vegetarians and vegans.
Reviewed 27 September 2017

Very nice vegetarian restaurant, reasonably priced, with a decent enough selection of main course options. I had the chickpea curry which was excellent (particularly the chutney they add to it), and presented quite nicely. My wife and I shared the soup of the day (cajun tomoato) which was also very good. The desserts were tempting but we managed to resist! Definitely a nice option for a healthy and tasty meal, especially since Newfoundland fare (from my limited experience) tends to be heavier on the meat, fish, starch (and some root vegetables), and light on greens.

Reviewed 21 September 2017

My family went there yesterday, waited for 20 minutes to get served, close to an hour to get the food, then to top it all off brought out what was supposed to be gluten free bread was actually regular bread. What a disappointing experience, will not go back.

Reviewed 17 September 2017

My daughter and I were in town for a week and this lovely little restaurant was a real gem. The staff were happy, professional and the food was excellent. Large portions of deliciousness.

Reviewed 15 September 2017

What distinguishes between a good restaurant and great restaurant?

The answer “Details”.

Let’s start with something good. I went along with one of my friends to this place to find out if this positive anomaly of a place justifies its place in this horrific culinary desert.

To start with we had a server who seems genuinely happy to be where she was and it reflected in her disposition but that was the last of the positive factor and it was all downhill from there.

The place.

The vibrancy with which it invites you from outside just vanishes from within. Seem’s like the place was put up in hurry without any thoughts given to the aesthetics, layout or design. Yes it seems spacious but cold, we stepped in from a foggy St. John’s streets to find in ourselves in a ‘Charles Dicken’s’ run-down tavern.

When you are stand alone of your type, you need to set the bar so high that anyone who dares to come up to your completion should shudder with meeting the standards you set for your food. My sympathies are with the chef who is catering to palates of folks whose greatest culinary undertaking stops at ketchup, no wonder you see positive reviews out here. These people don’t know any better; but that's where you as a chef come in.

Stop putting a million things on the menu and getting every single thing wrong, instead put 7-8 things but make it outstanding. Vegetarian food which you need not be bland, boring and outright disgusting, if you find the vegetarian dishes from the Indian sub-continent too exotic then that a page from ‘Palestine’ and ‘Morroco’.

What we had..
Apple Burger… Dry and uninspiring
Pad Thai – An insult to culinary high post of ‘Thailand’

When you know your serving room is cold, you don’t serve food on cold plates and especially ‘French Fries’. Educate your staff so that they know what are you putting in your food, that’s where the cut from pages of offering down to selected few comes handy, let your server taste every single thing on offer to make them have an opinion of what you make. It’s a bad sign when she stands there scratching her head and makes a statement “I don’t know what is gone in it but I heard it is good”…. REALLY????

Look, I commend you folks for setting up this for people who want good choices but you need to pick your game up. Make your food exciting, flavourful and a celebration of life as it should be, turn the place to make it a home away from home.

What makes me the authority to write this post ???

Let’s just say, I have been to more countries than all the number of dishes you have on your menu card and I have tasted quite a great food to know what qualifies and what does not.

1  Thank DomSan
Reviewed 15 August 2017

Our meals were good. We had Pad Thai and a cashew burger. No complaints there. The decor wouldn't suit all. The building materials and furniture seem to have been repurposed. Our server had short-term memory issues. She came back to check that she had our order right then she got it wrong anyway. The washroom I used was 6/10 and the paper towel dispenser was empty. I would probably eat there again.