“Best Korean BBQ”

Cuisines: Sushi
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: South Granville
Reviewed 9 December 2017 via mobile

This is my second time to be here with friends for a dinner buffet and our experienced was fantastic. All the foods that we ordered and ate we’re very delicious. The restaurant is not that busy and service was great. Will definitely go back here.

Reviewed 24 September 2017

I had dinner with my entire family at Kyo last night...13 of us in total. We chose the "all you can eat" option, which was about $30 each. They give you a single sheet to write down your orders on...5 of this, 12 of that, etc. With 13 of us, the process to get our food ordered took us 30 minutes. Oh...BTW...you only get 1h 30m to eat here!! Then they want you out of there so they can ram another seating through. Several of the items on the menu we did not know what they were (e.g. what is "Ika Karaage"). And some of the things on the menu we were told they did not have. Despite ordering 8 pieces of Tempura Yam, it never arrived. But the meats were extremely disappointing. Virtually all the meats — pork, beef, lamb, chicken — were extremely low quality cuts, and loaded with fat and gristle. And quantities were small...if you ordered maybe 3 or 4 pieces of beef, you'd have 1 ounce. They sat the 13 of us at a long table with only 2 Korean BBQ grills, which isn't enough for 13 people. And service was relatively slow, further aggravating our 90 minute time window. The sushi was at best medium quality, with a very limited selection.

I will definitely not be returning to this restaurant. There are so many better options in Vancouver.

1  Thank Rod H
Reviewed 21 September 2017

If you're looking for an AYCE choice in Vancouver, Kyo is a good bet. Located at the second floor of Granville and 14th Street, my siblings and I were pleasantly surprised when we walked in to see the modern-ish interior and layout (definitely nicer than other AYCE places like Ninkanzu/Tomokazu).

Overall quality of their sushi and sashimi is generally good. Ordered tuna and salmon sashimi, Hamachi sushi (thankfully, no frozen fish here!), and some specialty rolls. An added bonus is the Korean BBQ choices, most of the tables have grills and you can cook copious amounts of lamb, beef, pork, and chicken. They served each and every piece we ordered (we check because other AYCE places usually serve only 70% of the sashimi pieces ordered. No biggie though, since we'd just order more =p )... A couple of times though, passing servers kept their eyes down and I had to resort to raising my voice several decibels to get their attention. Other than that, service is satisfactory. Oh, and I also like their mango pudding.

In short, for $23.99, you basically walk out looking like the Michelin Man, but it's all worth it! Highly recommended!

Reviewed 6 September 2017

Picture this......very busy restaurant with bbq pits in the middle of every table, people laughing and having a good time.
This was our first time at a Korean BBQ place, and our daughter insisted this all you can eat is the best way to go. You dont eat too much, but you can sample a lot of different things. The establishment jumps to it to try to accommodate all parties. This is a fun way to try things, and have a good time. Try it!

Reviewed 12 April 2017

I am torn as I write this review for Kyo. I waited a week--long enough for the initial anger to dissipate. I find reframing my experience helps: Do not consider this a normal restaurant that have waiters who "wait" on you and cater to your needs. No, view this as a "buffet" staffed entirely by busboys--people neither trained nor show any inclination to making you feel comfortable or welcomed, and who are clearly frazzled by their jobs. Then you won't be so disappointed.

The basics: the "all-you-can-eat" dinner buffet for $30 is not that bad a deal, especially if you enjoy eating. The food for the most part is pretty good quality. The deep-fried wontons and the chicken karaage were a miss. But more than edible.

Beyond the basics, expect very little. We had to ask multiple times for wasabi. We asked for water--they gave us a whole pitcher, but no glasses! Then the mango pudding came, but no spoons. After trying to flag someone down, they plunked down a couple of forks and said "That's all we have." Wft?? The clincher: I tried asking our "server" if he could take a snapshot for us. On my first try, he had an armful of plates and understandably could not help. Then on my second try when he held nothing but an empty tray, his only reaction was a grimace, a wave of the hand and then he walked away. Wtf?? I realize it's not a server's job to take your picture, but I've never had someone flat out refuse to help.

So to summarize: the basic service is there: food was brought, plates were cleared. But beyond that, you will likely get very annoyed, very miffed. I left leaving the smallest tip I've ever left at a restaurant. The only thing keeping it from being zero is that they brought our dishes quickly and cleared our plates.