“must visit”

The View Winery and Vineyard
Ranked #40 of 139 things to do in Kelowna
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Fun, Flirty, Historic. Set in a vintage 1922 apple packing house, The View Winery offers an authentic Okanagan experience. Featuring aromatic fresh, crisp whites, fruit-forward, spicy reds and handcrafted apple ciders. Nestled amid rolling orchards and vines, minutes from downtown Kelowna. Look for the Red Shoe! April - October 30 11:30-6:30 October 31-April 1 Tuesday - Saturday noon-5pm
Reviewed 21 September 2017

love the location and very impressed with how knowledgeable, informative and fun the wine tasting experience was.
Wendy made this visit a highlight of our trip to Kelowna.
Small picnic area provided us with the opportunity to purchase a bottle of wine and cheese/crackers and enjoy the coming and goings of visitors and staff.

All reviews
"wineries"
in 15 reviews
"okanagan"

Reviewed 31 August 2017 via mobile

If you are in the Kelowna area and want to visit a winery, this one comes highly recommended. Not only do they produce lovely wines but cider too. The other nice thing about visiting this winery, apart from the welcome, is that their tasting room is in some of their older buildings.
Nice and easy to find just off Ward Road, The View is referred to as one of the 'Fab Five'.

Reviewed 26 June 2017

A shoe symbol, haven’t seen that before.

Okay, I have, though with The View, it actually makes sense—a pleasing romantic tale permitting The View to claim that icon and outplay the others. And it is romantic, almost saccharine—the type of scene that if in a movie, you’d want to punch the leads in the face and walk out of the theater. But in real life, you tilt your head like a curious puppy and cry “Awwwwww” until just before running out of breath. So, they get a pass on the shoe, but not on the name. I mean, The View, is it owned by four women who spend their time away from the winery discussing social, political, and pop culture topics with a tendency to ignore observable evidence? The location doesn’t benefit from a particularly great view. The View is a member of the Fab Five, shared with SpierHead, Vibrant Vine, Camelot, and House of Rose, and they all sport superior vistas.

But The View is not inferior in any way as a contrast. It’s just unfortunate that both Vibrant Vine and Camelot all enjoy better themes in better-looking locations, and thus are more desirable to visit. The View I would argue may be the better winery. The tasting flight is cheaper. The hosts are knowledgeable. There’s a lot of variety to choose from including dessert wines. And to saddle that selection with ciders is positively inspired.

The location is roomy with the shoe theme carrying across the entire location. It’s a little peculiar the building is effectively split in half, with one side divided by a sliding door, leading to a rustic, more sanitary area featuring another tasting area and raw, unfiltered production equipment. I walked into that area twice, worrying it was off limits, but no one stopped me. On both visits, this colossal space was empty. The main store is also narrow, with not a lot of room around the tasting area for larger groups.

As for the wine, as I said, it’s vast, over twenty offerings with many unique to this winery. On our first trip, we picked up a 2012 Distraction Frizzante, their sparkling wine, a surprise given my opinion of those (it’s low). It was on that trip where my girlfriend and I had hit up 60 wineries over a week, bringing back 120 bottles. But we loved the location so much, that when we lead our friends on a similar journey only a few weeks back, we visited The View again, this time snagging a truly distinctive fortified white wine. I never even knew there was such a thing a white wine port/fortified.

I like what The View offers. It’s adorable in its theme, admirable in its selection. I can’t speak for the cider, as I’m not generally a fan, but it’s a cool alternate reason to visit. The View is the reason you hit up all members of the Fab Five. There’s no one location that missteps. I may find two others better, but The View is the one where I may respect their history and their owners more. I haven’t met them, don’t know them, but after visiting and drinking, I kind of think I do, which only this winery has been able to do.

2  Thank PrinceGastronome
Management response:Responded 28 June 2017

Hello Chris – Thanks very much for visiting us at The View. That does seem like a strange name for our winery doesn’t it. Please allow me to explain. When we first decided to start the winery on my family’s fifth generation property, the plan was to build a fancy new building on the view site (which is at the top of the property where our Riesling vines grow). My father and I imagined people saying to their friends, “Have you seen The View”? A bit cheesy, I’ll admit but I was proud of the beautiful view I had grown up with. So I registered our company name The View Winery Inc. I don’t really watch television so I didn’t even think about the coffee talk show, The View. Oops

And now about the packing house…

Our packing house was built in 1922 by my Great Grandfather Ward and serviced all of the apple orchardists in the area. He settled our property in 1918 and planted the original apple trees (hence the naming of our Wards Apple Cider products) Great Grandfather built Wards Apple Packinghouse at the very bottom of our property because in those days the fruit was transported on horse drawn wagons. It was much easier for the horses to go up the hill with empty wagons and come down the hill fully loaded.

Annnyhow, call me crazy, but I wanted to get a few vintages under our belts before we committed to building a new site and getting into a huge amount of debt. So we quietly started making wine in our beloved old apple packinghouse which is actually relatively well suited for producing and cellaring wine. I purposely didn’t let people know where we were located for those first few vintages. But then our Gewurztraminer and Pinotage started winning medals and suddenly people were seeking us out. A few heard about our secret location, others put two and two together when they saw me outside on the crush pad in my red rubber boots. As much as I loved it, I remember being embarrassed of our funny old building when people first started stopping in. But inevitably , the response from visitors was, “Wow, what a cool old building. So unique, such a charming historic setting”. I had never seen the building in that way – to me it was just the old building that Great Granddad had built. It took seeing it through other peoples’ eyes for me to realize that our family’s fifth generation building was actually a gem. I could have spent 3-5 million dollars on a new building up on the hill and still not be half as special as most of the wineries in our area. So we decided to stick with our unique, authentically historic setting. When people ask where the view is, I invite them to take a drive or a walk up to the Riesling block. Indeed, our grapes get to enjoy the beautiful view.

We pride ourselves on our authenticity. Our wines and ciders are made only with fruit grown on our property. As well, our wine shop/tasting room adjoins our active cellar and in the late autumn and winter months guests can actually observe winemakers at work. We are able to pull larger groups into the cellar tasting area and barrel room if needed and find that guests generally love to see and touch the stainless tanks and oak barrels.

I’d love to take you on a bit of a tour on your next visit. Maybe we can walk up to the view! I really appreciate you taking the time to write about The View Chris and hope I get to meet you one day.

Very warm regards,

Jennifer Molgat
President
The View Winery

Reviewed 4 June 2017

Living on the West side I usually stick to the wineries close by - until now. I had the pleasure of visiting The View earlier this year for their "Fondue Friday" and it was fabulous! Very friendly staff, amazing wine and I was pleasantly surprised with the Ward's Apple Cider - I am not one to like these drinks as they tend to be too sweet. This definitely will be a 'go to' this summer for a refreshing change. I enjoyed myself so much I had to join their wine club. Nice place to bring my tourist friends visiting the Okanagan!

Management response:Responded 28 June 2017

Thank you SnowWearyAlberta for your lovely review of our quaint winery/cidery. We love that you love our ciders, and you are sooo right, our ciders are medium dry and definitely do offer a bit of a change from the sweeter brands on the market. Here at The View Winery & Wards Cidery, we are always looking for that "something different" kind of appeal to the marketplace to go along with our tried and true award-winning wines. Just recently, our Ginger cider won a silver medal at the PIIC Awards in Portland, so now our ciders are also ranking right up there among the best! Thank you so much for stopping in and we hope to see you (often!) this summer :)