“Terrible service, your clothes will smell afterwards but still worth checking out.”

Grizzly House Restaurant
Ranked #48 of 151 Restaurants in Banff
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Fondue, cooking done at table on hot stones. Absolutely the best interactive dining with great food. Exotic foods such as elk, bison, venison, alligator, rattlesnake--plus chicken and beef!
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My fiancee and I visited Grizzly House as we were recommended by a friend.
The exotic meat fondue was pretty cool even though they were out of rattlesnake.
It was a cool experience but the food wasn't great. Tiny portions at stupidly high prices.

Our waiter was awful. The service was terrible and he seemed like he hated his job. I didn't ask for the check but he knew I was impatiently looking to go after 2 hours from being seated so he just came over, said nothing and waved the card machine in my face. No thank you for visiting, have a nice a day...nothing.

As other reviews have stated, your clothes will stink after visiting here.
They really really need to modernise this place a little to have air conditioning or vents so that the smoke has somewhere to go from all the hot plates.
My fiancee has sensitive eyes and it looked like she was crying by the end of her meal. We were both squinting eating our food.
The next day both of our jackets costing over $1000 smelt like the restaurant. Safe to say we had to get them dry cleaned when we flew back to Ireland.

I absolutely loved Banff and plan to return but on my next visit I won't return to Grizzly House.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,884)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I LOVE this restaurant. I honestly can't get enough! We went for the Full 4 course Fondue dinner. The cheese fondue was delicious and the ”secret” ”cheese bacon”. The caesar I had is quite possibly the best I've ever eaten. Even the chicken soup my friend had was packed full of flavour.

We ordered the Exotic and hunters fondue on the hot stone for main. Again the sauces are delicious and so was the meat. The chocolate Toblerone Fondue to finish was also awesome (and I'm not much of a chocolate person).

Our waiter was great and very knowledgeable about everything he was serving. He quite honestly elevated the experience.

Grizzly House is one of my all time favourite places to eat and anyone who hasn't been should go! However booking is a must! Even as much as a week in advance at times.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I'm kind of mad at myself as I write this review because I went to Grizzly House against my better judgement. I read a slew of bad reviews beforehand , and upon consultation of the menu online, I was discouraged by the prices. Alas, we were having a family reunion in Banff and everyone wanted to go. Where to begin...the service was slow and the servers were not friendly or helpful in any way. The food was so bland and overpriced. The cheese fondue was 29$ and tasteless, served with cold, stale bread. I can't fathom how they get away charging that for it but then I remember that I bought it...an amateur tourist mistake on my part! The meat is also so overpriced and not a quality cut. Plus with the meat you get nothing else- the least they could do is throw a potato or a piece of broccoli at you to complete the meal. Had we not gotten the cheese fondue appetizer we would have literally only eaten a pile of meat. The sauces were pretty meh as well. There were one or 2 decent ones. And finally...the pièce de résistence: cooking your meat on a hot stone is NOT fondue!!!!!! We had to insist that they bring us the pot of oil and after 3 requests the server begrudgingly dropped off a pot of oil at room temperature and we got to wait another 15 minutes to eat so that we could wait for the oil to heat up. By that time the rest of the table was onto desert.
100$ for 2 of us...we should have just gone to the keg...

3  Thank Jesstrots
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Truly something from the 70's! They havent renovated since im sure, but it works! A cool atmosphere. I think late night would be great to sit around the fireplace, fondue and wine. We had the same, it was quiet around the 5pm we were there, but the food was delicious. Cheese fondue and the meat fondue was excellent. Sharing one for two people was more than enough. Service is very good also. You come out smelling like a smoke stack but its all good. Its an Iconic restaurant in Banff and worth visiting!!

1  Thank manium
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Showing my newlywed sister and husband around Banff and wanted to treat them to a nice dinner. The Service and food definitely did not nearly live up to our expectations. Our table was stuck in the corner beside a temporary wall which was constantly being knocked by servers and hitting into my sister. There was also a restaraunt phone behind my sisters left shoulder which was constantly ringing throughout our meal being very distracting when having conversations. Our server didn’t explain any of the specials to us on arrival which we heard other servers explain to all the tables around us. The food was very over cooked from what we asked for. Wishing we had a better experience considering what we had heard of other people’s experience of the Grizzly.

2  Thank Collywolly_23