“Very good half-day off-road bike trip from San Miguel”
Review of Bici-Burro

Bici-Burro
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Alberto is a pro! The bikes are terrific and great for off-road. We were picked up on time from our hotel. Water, sunscreen and granola bars were provided.
We drove in the van about 15 minutes outside San Miguel, parked at the La Gruta hot springs (we didn't go inside the springs because it was Easter weekend and very crowded) and then set off on our approximately 30km ride. We stopped in Atotonilco to see the beautiful church. Alberto (Beto) gave us a very comprehensive history of the town, the church and some history of Mexico around the time of the revolution.
We then pedaled on along the cobblestones, onto the dirt road and then wound through the Chaparral on donkey tracks and dirt roads. The scenery was really different and very interesting though there isn't much else to see. It was very refreshing to get outside the town of San Miguel for this half day of fresh air and countryside.
One thing I would say is that this is challenging riding for someone like me who likes to road bike! I had no idea what the terrain would be like until we began our ride. The tracks are rocky and, at times when you ride on the donkey trails, very sandy and narrow. There aren't any climbs but I still found the ride pretty difficult and wasn't very well prepared. The bikes provided were ideal for this type of riding and are in great shape.
Bring a fanny pack or backpack if you want to carry extra stuff.
An ideal way to see some of the area around SMA.

All reviews
"flora and fauna"
"high desert"
"great guide"
in 3 reviews
"would highly recommend this tour"
"san miguel"
in 12 reviews
"beto"
in 26 reviews

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I joined the Pozos bike tour #4. Beto had the bikes ready to go and provided helmets and gloves as well as snacks and water. He took us on a fantastic ride to see the mines - we even went into an abandoned mine! He is passionate about his country and very knowledgeable of the history which makes it fun and informative. I would highly recommend this tour - I can't wait to return to San Miguel and take another one of Beto's tours! Gracias!

Reviewed March 6, 2018 via mobile

Beto (Alberto Martinez) took over this biking and hiking business from his father and has developed a terrific way to see the countryside surrounding San Miguel de Allende. He leads great hiking day trips into the mountains along trails you could never find yourself, and you’ll be the only ones there except for the handful of shepherds you meet and greet along the way. Then, on another day, he’ll take you mountain biking using his up do date fleet of bikes along old dirt roads and single tracks out in the country that you simply won’t see any other way except perhaps on a horse. Top it off with a stop at the hot springs and you’ll have a fabulous day.
To top in off, he’s a great guy, and he’ll add in his own succinct but colorful and well informed histories of the area. Don’t miss this.

Reviewed September 2, 2017

Alberto picked us up at our hotel at 9 AM. our bikes were already perfectly fitted based on him seeing us the day before, albeit momentarily! We drove out to the north of town, edge of the adjacent high desert. Alberto gave us an awesome tour laced with his deep knowledge of the local history, botany, and nature in general. He was cordial, timely, accommodating and knowledgeable, all in one package. We highly recommend 3-5 hr excursion with him...

See more reviews
Reviewed August 27, 2017

I thoroughly enjoyed my ride with Beto (Alberto) and highly recommend Bici-Burro to anyone looking for an active tour. He is a wonderful and kind guide. The equipment is great. He provides a high-quality mountain bike, bottled water, granola bar, gloves, and helmet. The route we took was primarily on dirt roads but often included narrow paths through fields and over hills. The views were spectacular.

Note to road bike riders: I regularly ride 40-50 miles on my road bike 2-3 times per week, so I was disappointed to learn our route was "only" 29km (18 miles). Wow. I was happy that we did not do a longer ride! First, San Miguel is over 6000' in altitude, so you don't get a lot of oxygen with each breath. Second, road biking and mountain biking are not the same.