All reviews instituto allende excellent location necessary amenities within easy walking distance breakfast buffet is pleasant stay nice hotel san miguel street noise first floor clean rooms plenty of hot water central mexico three nights would stay here again fresh fruit tennis
Reviewed 12 December 2016 via mobile

The hotel is clean but dated... really dated. I understand the charm of rustic decor etcetera but the place is hyper religious and rustic. It looks like an old seminary/church and has a very solemn feel to it. The decor as I mentioned is super religious and not comfortable. The hallway carpets haven't been replaced in decades. The restaurant has lackluster food and closes at 3 pm and there are no vending machines or anything for sale to drink or eat on the premises. The inside staff was less than amicable and welcoming however the grounds staff was extremely helpful and cheerful. We left a day early because my husband felt creeped out the entire time

Stayed: December 2016, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Luisa J
Reviewed 25 November 2016

Check in went fairly smoothly - though there was some issue with their credit card machine that required us to ring our card through some 4 or 5 times before it worked.

The rooms are reasonably large but everything about the room is 'coarse'. The floors were very squeaky - prefinished bamboo that was installed incorrectly - the sheets and pillowcase were about a 12 thread count so that was less than ideal. In the afternoon we had plenty of hot water but when we went to shower the next morning there was very little - we showered mostly in cold water.

They seem to host a fair few receptions and gatherings so the hotel is quite noisy.

I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2016, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MarkfromtheIsland
Reviewed 3 November 2016

I stayed at this posada for 6 nights recently. Very close to the center of town, it sits on manicured grounds which include v. large topiaries. Unusual. This place has the feel of "an older Mexico" with pretty hand-painted tiles throughout, stone interior walls, and a covered courtyard containing a fountain. Rooms were v. adequate and v. clean. Bottled water provided in the room. Good water pressure and lots of hot water for the shower. Beds exceedingly firm as well as the pillows. Neither affected my sleep. Very fast turnaround laundry service.

All the staff were pleasant and accommodating throughout my stay. Some English spoken.

Breakfast which was served buffet style always included fresh fruit, cereal, eggs, bacon/beef fajitas, and pancakes/French toast. Bread rolls, tortillas or corn muffins came to the table.Service during meals was attentive.

The (-)'s: Internet: I occupied a room in a "dead spot" with barely wifi signal on mobile phone; and none on my ipad. So variable was the signal that it dropped often. No hairdryer.

Room Tip: Avoid Room 111 if you need wifi.
  • Stayed: October 2016, traveled solo
1  Thank jafb1055
Reviewed 30 October 2016

From the second the shuttle van arrived at the hotel, the service was terrific. I was there to take a photography workshop. From what I understand they had renovated the hotel a few years ago. My room was terrific and comfortable with a newly remodeled bathroom. The breakfast and lunch buffets were filling and delicious. My fellow participants raved about this place as well and it is in a great location and you can walk to most anywhere in town. Overall I would give this hotel two thumbs up...

• Stayed: October 2016, traveled on business
Reviewed 30 October 2016

Stayed here for a week as part of a program. The hotel is well kept, including the grounds and exterior environment. The rooms are spacious, but haven't been updated for many years including the bathroom. Had dinner at the hotel one night. It was just ok, along with the lunches and breakfasts that we had. Overall, the hotel staff is very nice and helpful. Wifi didn't work in the rooms on two of the seven nights. One day, there was very little hot water. There are no safes in the room. A lock box is offered at the Front Desk.

• Stayed: October 2016, traveled solo