“Fabulous view, challenging hike, and practically DEVOID OF TOURISTS :)”

Jinshanling Great Wall
Group Great Wall Hiking Tour from Jinshanling to Simatai West
US$59.00*
Jinshanling Great Wall Morning Hiking Tour
More attraction details
Owner description: Jinshanling Great Wall is located in Luanping County, Chengde, Hebei Province, 80 miles (130 kilometers) northeast of Beijing. It used to be a sound defensive system including barrier walls, battlement walls, watchtowers, gun emplacements, shooting holes, horse blocking walls, and branch cities. Today, it is renowned as the "Paradise of Photographers" and a popular tourist destination because of its magnificent appearance and intoxicating scenery.
Reviewed August 1, 2015 via mobile

After a lot of research I booked a private tour with John Chang of www.hereisbeijing.com. It was one of the best decisions of my Great Wall tour, because he was super informative and very fun to talk to! Very affordable, too. He made sure my mom and I were always comfortable and even caught up with us on the Wall using a "secret path" after the entrance people wouldn't let him in.

Everyone has already talked about the great view that Jinshanling has compared to the other sections of the Great Wall (Mutianyu and Badaling). From Jinshanling you can see the Wall winding up and down the mountains like a giant stone dragon. Amazing.

But just as important -- there are practically no other tourists here!! If you've been to the other (highly congested) tourist spots in China, you know how important this is. Went during July 2015 and saw only a few other groups.

Reviewed July 28, 2015

I visited this part of the Wall on a hot, blue-sky, sunny day. It was great. But I had some difficulties getting there even it is quite easy.

I read an old post on tripadvisor about a shuttle bus leaving from Dongzhimen directely to Jinshaling. This bus service does not longer exist!

You can take a direct tourist shuttle bus from Wangjing West (metro exit C and turn right, you will see the bus station at the other side of the road) to Jinshanling once a day. The bus departs at 8 AM and then you can take a shuttle bus back at 3 PM at the parking of the main entrance of the Jinshaling section (This bus left right on time but to be sure, be there in advance so you don't miss it).
Due to being at the wrong bus station, I missed the 8 AM bus and had to take a public bus going to Luanping. There were quite some people in the line for the bus and I had to wait until 9 before we left. This bus drops (32 RMB) you off at a service station on the highway. There it seems if you're in the middle of nowhere. From the moment you get from the bus, taxi drivers will try to take you to the wall. I just decided to ignore them, as they will probably overcharge you for a 2km walk. You just cross the highway and go left from the police station. Further you will see a sign: Jinshaling entrance 5km. Don't get discouraged becaused that is the main entrance. If you follow the road you will get at the East entrance after 2km. So if you don't mind the walk, you can easily go by foot. You will not get lost, just follow the road. Furthermore, the East entrance is far less crowded than the main entrance. But even then, the amount of people on the wall was quite ok (I was there on a Saturday). Due to limited time I walked between the East entrance and the main entrance so I expected to see some people. But if you turn left on the wall at the East entrance or right at the main entrance, you would have less people.

I enjoyed my visit to the wall, I can definitely recommend this place if you don't like crowds.

Cost of entrance: 60 RMB. I swiped my student card, but don't expect a discount.

Advice: bring a hat, water and sunscreen on hot days.

ENJOY!

5  Thank Faina P
Reviewed July 28, 2015

After countless research despite our cheapness, it really seemed too much hassle & not much money saved to attempt to bus etc ourselves. So we did a day tour via Downtown Backpackers, which simply involved being dropped off & picked up at the wall - no actual tour guide on the hike. This was EXACTLY what we wanted - just the confusion of getting there to be eliminated, and then be free to walk on our own on the wall.

I was pleasantly surprised at how few people were at Jinshanling - it was stunning and probably how most people envision the wall looking. It was June and the hills were bright green, and the walls quite intact and pleasantly empty. We saw about a dozen other tourists at the entrance but our group of ~20 were the only ones hiking (and all at our own pace). I don't usually recommend tours and we usually DIY our own visits, but honestly for the cost it just saved a major hassle especially if all you want is pick-up/drop off!

4  Thank thriftynomads
Reviewed July 22, 2015 via mobile

After reading not so positive reviews about guided visits to Jinshanling Great Wall, we went by ourselves and would definitely recommend to do that as well.

We took the 980 bus from Dongzhimen, which departs from the bus terminal at your left when exiting at B from the metro stop. Got off at Tai Yang Jia Yuan, this is the first stop when the bus leaves the highway at Miyun. There is a hurdle of drives eager to take you to Jinshanling. Only one guy spoke English and made the deals, probably the other drivers work for/with him. So you cannot really go 'shopping for a driver', negotiate with him. We paid 400RMB forth and back for 2 people, with half payment after the first drive and the other half after the second.

The driver brought us to Jinshanling East Gate, which got us confused as the wanted to start at Jinshanling Front Gate and walk from there to Simatai West. After a chat with the visiting center we found out that not only the eastern section after the reservoir is closed, but also at the west side of the reservoir, a few towers after Jinshanling East. This information made us believe that tour hikes from Jinshanling to Simatai West will probably not go much further than the Jinshanling East Gate, the part on the wall being called the East Tower of Jinshanling section.

Scenes were amazing and we encountered only a few other people. We would recommend to bring enough to drink and a picnic lunch as vendors are expensive and food wise only sell snacks, Parts of the track can be steep, not dangerous though. The humid weather made the walk quite a work-out, even for us as long distance runners.

From Jinshanling Front Gate you can also take a shuttlebus back at 13:30h and 15:00h, so if you're keeping a budget in mind you might want to only arrange a driver for the way forth. Our driver wanted us to pay the toll fare of 20 RMB extra, we could convince him this was included in the price. So be aware of this!

The last bus goes back at 18:00h from Miyun. The hike takes 3 to 4 hours, depending on your pace.

2  Thank Tessa L
Reviewed July 20, 2015 via mobile

Beside the long drive (approximately 3-4 hrs from Beijing) it's so much worth visiting Jinshanling instead of Badaling. There are almost no tourists and you can have a whole section for yourself, so just take a day trip and enjoyed the best views of the Great Wall. Currently 10 kilometers are open for public as the Simatai section is still under construction.