Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort
Panama Jack Resort(Playa del Carmen)
US$241
US$235
Bookit.com
  • Pool
The Royal Playa del Carmen(Playa del Carmen)
US$450
US$269
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya(Playa del Secreto)(Great Value!)
US$1,638
US$334
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Playacar Palace(Playa del Carmen)
US$578
Bookit.com
US$656
US$437
BlueBay
Royal Hideaway Playacar(Playa del Carmen)
US$496
US$389
Barcelo.com
Mahekal Beach Resort(Playa del Carmen)
US$244
US$646
US$598
TripAdvisor
9,786 results
All reviewssports barfondueriviera sideplatinum sectiona la cartesmama miaplatinum loungesunset buffetlas olasplatinum packagedeluxe junior suitele fleurchill out barcooking showwater shoesprivate poolseafood
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Resort was mostly clean overall. Like many have mentioned, this place is huge, but not overly more than other multi complex properties. Seemed to be well kept for its age, but definitely showed in some areas. Many of the wooden bridge walkways had broken boards. The landscape and grounds were kept up nicely though. Saw employees regularly cleaning the pool. Speaking of pool, don’t pay attention to the the not saving chairs around pool notice, it’s just like the rest, get up early and put out your towels for your favorite spot.

The room was nice. Housekeeping didn’t seem to notice exactly what was used out of the refrigerator and replaced with double of other drinks. We did notice they seemed to clean them nicely. Bed seemed a bit on the firm side.

Food was just average at the buffets, and the a la carte was ok but portions smaller than you’d normally expect. Did have a great tasting specialty flank steak one evening.

Service overall was above average and all the staff was very polite. See Carlos at the Fantasy pool bar for quick service and good drinks.

Beach did have a lot of seaweed.

Altogether we had a great time. Nothing bad here, just average, maybe a little better than some for its age.

Stayed: March 2018, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rhrose0
Princess_RivieraMaya, Gerente at Grand Sunset Princess All Suites Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear Rhrose0,

Thank you very much for your kind review about our hotel.

We are glad that you had an overall good vacation in our company and that you enjoyed our grounds, staff and food.

We hope to see you again soon,

Warm regards,

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This was only the second trip we've taken to al all-inclusive, but it was a relaxing stay at a beautiful resort. The grounds and pools were very well kept and the staff was always friendly and eager to please. We enjoyed relaxing by the pools and seeing the iguanas, coatis, and monkeys strolling the grounds. The shops that were at the resort were also fun to walk through and the specialty restaurants were a delightful change from the nightly buffet. The price was extremely reasonable and the weather was exceptional. (Very hot sun. Bring your sunscreen!) We also took advantage of the shuttle into Playa del Carmen for a day of shopping. That, too, was a fun day and the shuttle was very convenient. All in all, I would highly recommend this resort to anyone considering traveling here and we wouldn't mind a return visit ourselves.
Although we didn't travel with children, we talked to a family from Canada with three kids and they said the children's program was fantastic. That's a nice bonus for parents who need a break.
The evening entertainment was a mix. The shows in the theatre were mostly lip-syncing to familiar shows using lots of fun choreography. In the plaza itself, we saw a troupe of Mexican folk dancers that were very good, a harpist that played beautifully, and a fire show that beat anything we'd ever seen in Hawaii! Don't mis it!
We walked down the beach (to the right) and got a very nice massage at the second Mexican flag. It was $30 for an hour. Although we were apprehensive at first, we enjoyed it so much we went back a second day. Other than that we didn't do any excursions because we've been there before and we went this time to relax.
There were staff photographers on site. Some of the set-ups were a bit corny (I didn't need a picture with a Mayan warrior), but some were very nice and well photographed. We ended up buying a package. It doesn't cost anything for them to take your photos, so go for it. You might be pleasantly surprised!
For all the good that this resort can boast, there are a few things that you should be aware of that will make your stay even more enjoyable;
-The center plaza is a huge open area that has lounge chairs and fountains. Some of the evening entertainment happens here. You need to be very careful, however, when you're walking around the perimeter of the plaza. At certain spots, there are steps down or up in the walkway. If you aren't paying attention, and it's easy to do with all there is to see, you may fall. We were traveling with a group and 6 of us took a tumble. We saw other visitors either fall because of the step down or trip because of the step up. Just be aware and watch where you're walking!!! I can't stress this enough.
-The Fantasy Pool is the party pool. If you're looking for quiet and relaxation make sure your room is far away from this pool. We loved where we were situated because it was a short walk to the nearest pool and far enough away from the Fantasy Pool that we didn't have to hear all the loud music and noise.
-We got a little tired of the buffet at dinner. It was OK and there was plenty of it, but we didn't think there was enough variety. That's why we'd suggest the specialty restaurants. We especially liked the Italian, Japanese, and the Steakhouse. Our least favorite was the Mediterranean. We also enjoy a dinner on the beach at Chill-Out, but you have to pay for that meal. It is not included, but we didn't care. The meal was delicious and we had a great time. You have to make reservations for the specialty restaurants in the lobby. Do it early in your stay so you don't miss out.
-The beach experience was much like the last time we were in the Riviera Maya. There's a lot of seaweed on the beach. This is not the fault of the resort. In face, they try to rake it up the best they can. It just is what it is. There were, however, plenty of pool chair and beach chairs. It wasn't necessary to run down first thing in the morning and claim your spot.
-As other reviewers have stated, this is a big resort! It is quite a walk from one end to the other. We didn't mind it, because we were never in a hurry and the weather was beautiful to soak in.
If you're traveling to this area, I'd recommend that you consider the Grand Sunset Princess. It was just what we needed for our vacation.

Stayed: March 2018
2  Thank WestMiSandMan

Dear WestMiSandMan,

Thank you very much for your review of our hotel. We are very happy to learn that you had a great time at our hotel and that you found lots of atractions and points of interest at Grand Sunset Princess.

We hope to see you again soon so that we can continue to be your relaxing choice for your vacations.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Was everything 100% perfect..no but what resort is? Everything is a personal opinion and don't sweat the small stuff folks! Over all the staff are polite, friendly and helpful. Even before we arrived the communications either thru email or facebook messenger was extremely helpful. Zulema Hernandez was amazing and went above and beyond answering my questions before we arrived and ensuring that are requests were met the best they could! I truly appreciated everything that was done for us prior to our arrival and the special touches to celebrate my 50th birthday just added to our stay. Now from reading other reviews I see some received little 'extras' for their birthday that I did not get...so what?! I am not that entitled to think that just because I paid the same money/stayed same section I should have that too. They didn't have to do anything but they did and I am grateful for that! Once there found everything to be on point. The resorts grounds are well maintained and clean especially for the number of people! Our housekeeper Ofelia was amazing and always so pleasant. We stayed in a jr. deluxe swim out and our poolside server Liliana was a true gem all week!! My husband and I had 5 different drinks we would switch around depending on what we felt like drinking that day and she would always greet us and ask us what type of day we were having and rattle off our personal choices. Given her huge serving area and the number of people she would of encountered daily to remember us and her attention to details just shows her level of professionalism, dedication to her job and what a true asset she is to the staff/resort. We mainly ate breakfast and lunch at the Riviera snack bar and the staff there was superb! The food was hot and fresh and my husband enjoyed the fully cooked bacon. lol They also made the best sombrero cocktail on the resort..and I tried them at pretty much every bar (lol) Sportsbar was the other spot that made a delicious sombrero. The main buffet and ala cart restaurants are just like any buffet or restaurant...sometimes you totally enjoy it and other times not everything is to your liking. But you can always find something to eat and you won't loose any weight while on vacation! If you are poolside and don't want to go for a sit down meal they have a burger/hotdog bbq cart and a taco cart that are worth checking out! The Chill Out Restaurant is absolutely gorgeous setting and worth the meal for the bonus feature to use the private beach area if you want access daily. We also felt totally safe travelling into Playa del Carmen to 5th Ave. The beach was not our favorite but the issues had nothing to to with the resort and anything they could control, that is all on Mother Nature. The beach bbq served great food! The pools I found to always be clean but in some areas could use a little maintenance (missing tiles) but again given the number of people who use the pools daily you would loose a tile or two too. Daily and Nightly entertainment was always entertaining. The disco was clean and staff cleaned sloppy liquor spills quickly and found the music to be current but did find it dark. Mary at the poolside fish spa was a true professional. I have had a fish pedi at other resorts were they just rinse your feet off. Mary uses soap and washes your feet! And the after foot massage and lotion leaves you feeling refreshed and your feet so soft! My only compliant(s) would be an additional shuttle should be added because usually as it reaches half way to the Riviera section rooms it is full and check out staff should remember they are the last contact you have with the staff/resort and should make sure you leave missing the place and not like you were bothering them. Over all the resort is a wonderful place with beautiful grounds and exceptional staff. Their efforts in reducing their footprint was also noticed.

Room Tip: Sunset swim outs have more daily shade compared to the Riviera swim outs.
  • Stayed: March 2018, traveled as a couple
3  Thank msHLS3
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

I know it’s a late review

So

The grounds

The grounds Are amazing the resort is massive. We were here for our wedding and some our guest made use of the trolleys that run down the sidewalks

Room

This was my first 5 star resort I have been to and when i walked into my room *oh my god it was amazing over exceeded my expectation for the room We had a family swim out room well worth it

Swimming pools

The resort has like 10 swimming pools there were a couple that were cold and a couple that were a decent temperature. The whirlpools in front of the rooms were our guests were staying didn’t work and the water was below what it should be at we had made a mention in one of the comment cards they pass around and it seemed like they had filled that pool up

Restaurants

The restaurants were all good I thought. ( I’m not picky ) also everyone in our group of 21 never went hungry

Bars

The nightclub was ok was the busiest I’ve seen at a resort nightclub

All the other bars were good the lobby bars were the best they had some different bottled apple cider which hit the spot also being in the family section our wristbands got us the top shelf liquor at no extra cost

Beach

We didn’t really spend time at the beach as we were super busy with the wedding and it was a little rocky I heard but all good

Wedding coordination

We had our wedding here and it was beautiful Araceli did us something great and turned our wedding into the day of our dreams she was awesome

* any one considering a wedding here I highly recommend.

All in all I would recommend this resort to others. We traveled with my step father who was against going anywhere and he had a great time and changed his mind about travelling

Stayed: January 2018, traveled with family
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We just came back from a 10 day stay from the Grand Sunset Princess. This is our second time there. It is such a beautiful and well maintained resort. We had a Laguna Villa suite. It is very nice, peaceful and kid free. Part of our perks were to have free breakfast at the Chillout restaurant, so that is where we ate most mornings. I specifically wanted to mention Diana Arcos and Rodrigo Chable. They were our servers at the Chillout restaurant. They gave us such outstanding service! They were very friendly and personable. They deserve to be recognized for their hard work.
I would also like to mention our concierge Connie. She was extremely helpful and nice. Marsela, the waitress in the Villa area was a good server and hard worker. I would recommend this resort to others.

• Stayed: March 2018, traveled as a couple

Dear jhend3080,

Thank you kindly for leaving us a review about your most recent stay at Grand Sunset Princess hotel.

We love seeing our staff member's names mentioned in our guests reviews and we are sure that both Diana and Rodrigo will be very happy to see you regonicing their hard work and dedication.

Look forward to welcome you again,

Kind regards,