Review Highlights
Incredible shark diving and cenote dives

Spent several days diving in cenotes, which was a unique experience. The shark feeding (while a bit... read more

Reviewed 27 September 2016
Jschafer90
London, United Kingdom
address payment plans first

Overall I had a great experience. My guide was Andrea, a free lance employee who I met as a guide... read more

Reviewed 7 July 2016

from US$85.00
from US$98.00
from US$59.00
More Info
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed 21 November 2014

Everything was amazing, from the non-pushy sales guys to the safety training to the gear fitting, boat ride, and the dive itself. I would definitely recommend going out with theses guys, they didn't waste time but we still felt extremely safe in their hands.

Date of experience: November 2014
1  Thank BenjaminAMal
Reviewed 20 November 2014

I was referred to Luis for my first Cenote dive. When the day of the dive arrived, he had fallen ill and couldn't dive. I was SO LUCKY to get Carlos as my replacement. I've done the "Discover Scuba" dive before at two other locations. Carlos offered more information than any of the others. He is such an experienced diver and loves to share his knowledge.

I made the reservation onilne, emailing with Luis and paying a deposit with PayPal. On the day of the dive, Carlos picked me up in his truck. We went to the dive shop, I paid my balance in pesos and I got fitted for my BCD, regulator, fins and mask. We loaded up and were out for our hour drive to Tulum and Casa Cenote. I was the only 'student' for this dive and the personalized attention was quite extraordinary.

Once at the cenote, Carlos explained each piece of equipment to me, how to attach it, to check it for safety and use it once in the water. He explained safety standards, basic diving principles and special rules for cenotes. He worked with me on balancing the tank and weight belt, making sure I was comfortable.

We reviewed the route we'd be taking, hand signals and the techniques we'd be testing. Once in the water, we performed the 5 basic beginner dive techniques and he even added a few more, as I had completed the 5 basic during a few previous dives. The water was calm, cool and clear. The cenote was surrounded by green mangroves and the sky was a perfect blue with fluffy white clouds. After running the techniques, we embarked on our cenote adventure.

We saw a few crabs, lots of fish, mangrove roots and interesting cave formations. There were snorkelers overhead and I smiled when i saw them, knowing that in the past that would have been me. The sun shone down through the water, making everything clearly visible. I was very comfortable diving with Carlos and he checked on me often, the OK hand signal passing back and forth every few minutes. I eventually noticed that the bottom of his fins had the words "FOLLOW ME" painted on. I laughed under water :) We completed the dive in 59 minutes, even traversing a short tunnel which was a little different (dark) and exciting.

I cannot rave enough about Carlos, He is passionate about his homeland, diving, the environment, keeping the streets, cenotes and oceans clean. I enjoyed every minute of his company and learned so much. It was a spectacular experience and I cannot wait to dive with them again during my next visit to the Yucatan Peninsula.

Date of experience: November 2014
1  Thank jmk171
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We liked it very much! We visited Mexico and wanted to swim with the whale sharks and dive just in the ocean at Cozumel, but then the owner of the hotel, where we were staying, introduced us to Luis. He arranged everything for the whale sharks and for the dives at Cozumel. The boat located the whale sharks and we had a chance to swim with three, it is amazing to see this massive giant fish, hard to describe with the words. We were not, however, particularly lucky with the number of boats on that area, we were actually surprised of the crowd around, we did not expect that… Cozumel was beautiful!
When Luis was talking about the cenotes, he was so enthusiastic about it, that we simply said – OK, let's try this. This was our first diving in the cenotes and it was an awsome experience, so different and excited that we decided to do one more dive in the cenotes, not the ocean. Luis explained the information about diving in cenotes thoroughly in shortest time. We were very satisfied with his guidance and he took us to the most attractable and diverse cenotes, as we were able to realise after. He also took us for some real mexican tacos between the two dives.
He was always on time. He shared some local stories from Playa del Carmen and the Quintana Roo with us, very interesting. We were happy to hear that Luis (Underwater Expeditions) is part of the research project on the behaviour identification of the whale sharks. He gave us T-shirts with the 'Save the ocean' logo and also a brochoure of all cenotes in the Quintana Roo area that are eligible for diving.
It was a very diverse and unforgettable experience and we were very satisfied with Luis services.

Date of experience: July 2014
1  Thank Tadeja D
Reviewed 23 July 2014

My wife and I had an incredible time on our snorkel trip with Luis. He was actually one of the original "discoverers" of whale sharks in Isla Mujeres and has been doing these trips longer than any other operators. We did a fair amount of research and settled on Luis after speaking with him on the phone. Luis and his crew provided an awesome experience from start to finish. The boat was comfortable, lunch excellent, and complementary drinks and beers was a plus. Most importantly, a swim with these beautiful fish is unsurpassed, we've been traveling around the world for 7 months and this is a top 5 experience for us so if you are debating just do it! And you can't got wrong with Luis, he is a great guy and even helped us plan some dives in Honduras through a contact of his. Can't say better things about Underwater Expeditions.

Date of experience: July 2014
Reviewed 4 January 2014

My partner and I dove the cenotes with Luis and it was the highlight of our trip! He picked us up right from the ferry dock in Playa del Carmen and drove us there (picking up lunch for us on the way). Brought all the gear for us, helped us gear up and even change tanks in the water. He was knowledgeable, super friendly and just an all-round great guy. It was the best 2 dives we've had so far (and we have about 80 dives combined between the 2 of us). Seriously can't recommend this company enough.

Date of experience: December 2013