First - this is NOT the resort where you can't flush TP - so I assume all those people posted their comments under the wrong hotel and I also assume any negative reviews about this resort are under the wrong hotel!!!
From the moment we got there till the moment we left the ENTIRE staff couldn't do enough for you. I hate listing anyone's name because it would make it seem like everyone didn't go over the top to make you happy.
The preferred service upgrade was definitely worth the $35 p/p a day. Access to the preferred lounge alone would be worth it but you also get in room mini bar, 23 hours room service, and the preferred concierges to take care of everything you need. These concierges are wonderful, sweet, and always check on you to make sure you don't need anything and everything has been taken care of properly.
Rooms are spotless and spacious. For those complaining about a lack of hot water - turn the faucet so the red dot faces up (it's counter-intuitive - you turn away from the direction of the water you want and then let it run a bit). The trick to the espresso machine in the room is you press 1 button to heat the water then once its heated press the button to brew the coffee (another couple on the beach figured this out for me :-) ). We didn't have a pillow problem - there were 6 perfect pillows on our bed,
We were never approached by time share people so I have no commentary to that.
The gym is adequate - if you search images it is the gym with the black flooring - 2 ellipticals, 2 bikes, 2 treadmills, free weights, some cable machines (but as is the case with most hotels they are a bit of a rough pull and don't adjust to smaller people).
All the food was wonderful! There was always plenty of authentic Mexican dishes on the buffet. They have a full infused oil and vinegar bar, every type of steak sauce, all sorts of seasonings, pico de gallos and fresh Mexican hot sauces/vegetables to top your dishes, anything you can think of they had. There was always a full bread bar (to answer the stale comments - if you find stale bread it is because it has been sitting out sliced for a while - just slice a new loaf!). Ice cream bar with all the toppings and to go cups if you wanted to take some with you. full salad bars, cold cut bars (which included fish carpaccio and lox). Plenty of veggie dishes for vegetarians, fish usually 7 to 12 ways for pescatarians. Something for everyone and it was DELICIOUS!
At Blue Moon get the coffee flambé - the show is great and the coffee AMAZING! We didn't have one bad thing at any of the a la carte restaurants. At privilege lounge you can order off their dinner menu or the Italian menu (La Dolce Vita) so you can dine in AC. The Japanese place serves you what they serve you - some sushi and a hibachi dinner - but very tasty.
We had incredible massages (book with the spa concierge on the beach - they'll give you a great deal!) 80 min hot stone and aromatherapy - amazing! Make sure you get there early - the relaxation room is EXACTLY that - its so wild - there is this amazing breeze in the room and the loungers so comfy! My spouse fell asleep within 5 minutes of sitting in the lounge chair.
The foam party was cool and funny! I didn't do a whole lot of the organized activities but everyone who did was having fun. Word to the wise - be careful of the "poppers" - its a tequila shot - stick to one or two - all the people that were in the pool the day of our arrival were doing them and almost no one made it to dinner that night (regardless of age or size)!
The prices for souvenirs in the gift shop/pool area were actually pretty good - remember almost all of it is hand made and they had some pretty pieces. If you aren't going to go into town to do shopping do NOT wait till the airport - prices are double and the selection is non-existent - much better off with the hotel. They also have vendors who come in once a week and set up around the fountain.
Can't comment on late night stuff as we are early birds - bed by 9:30 up to the gym each morning but the couples we met raved about the shows. The live music before the shows and the sax player at breakfast are amazing!
Animals are everywhere and the grounds are meticulous. You can walk quite a ways on the beach and the lagoon a 10 minute walk is beautiful and worth a dip.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- All-inclusive luxury in an intimate Caribbean setting, in the heart of the Riviera Maya. Ocean Maya Royale is a luxury all-inclusive beachfront resort in Riviera Maya, in the heart of the Mexican Caribbean. Offering intimate settings and lush tropical landscapes, this Caribbean gem is very close to Playa del Carmen, Tulum, Cozumel and Cancun. Relax and enjoy our Despacio Spa, two swimming pools, exclusive south beach section featuring Balinese sun beds, Dive It! Watersports center and our a la carte restaurants, where you can taste the best International cuisine, including our new beachfront La Dolce Vita restaurant. Ocean Maya Royale is exclusively an Adults Only resort, a perfect retreat for couples, honeymooners and any one over the age of 18 looking for a more relaxing and sofisticated Caribbean experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Agoda and Booking.com so you can book your Ocean Maya Royale reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ocean Maya Royale Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Ocean Maya Hotel
- Ocean Maya Playa Del Carmen
- Hacienda Maya