“2nd time was better than the first, with 2 exceptions”

Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Ranked #21 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This was our second time at the Paradisus, and the service was even better than the first time we were there. Stayed in the Royal Service area and our room was one down from the room we had last year. We requested the same butler we had last year, Napoleon, and he remembered us and provided outstanding service. He went way above even though we don't ask for much. All the staff from the restaurants, pool service, Alfredo, to the beach servers were outstanding.

Entertainment was ok, but there were way to many kids running around or laying on the floor, which made if difficult for the performers to work around. Having said that here are the things that were negatives of this trip.

There must have been a smoking conference going on as every time we turned around somebody was lighting a cigarette or vaping. At the pools, the beach, I even saw a few smoking in the returaunts which is supposed to be smoke free. We went to lunch one day by the adults only pool and as I looked around I was amazed at the number of people smoking. Thankfully the Royal Service pool wasn't as bad.

Next was the amount of kids. When we were there last Spring there werent as many kids, but this time it appeared as if they were catering to families. They opened several areas for kids camps and kids play rooms. One day we saw about 20 kids in red t-shirts for the kids camp. This place is for adults to get away from kids. If you want to take kids on vacation there are hundreds of other places to go. At certain restaurants they actually had stroller parking lines and mats laid out to leave your stroller. It was ridicules. That would be a main reason for not returning as it appears the resort is changing their focus to capture the families and not the adults.

Room Tip: All the rooms in the Royal Service area are excellent.
2  Thank A498NAthomasg
QD_Paradisus, Gerente at Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear A498NAthomasg,

We are glad that we once again met all your expectations, it is very rewarding to know that you have enjoyed every moment of your vacation at Paradisus Playa del Carmen.

We appreciate your kind words directed to our devoted staff. Without any doubt, all of them were a significant part of your experience with their special attention to details and their tailored service. Please be sure that your notes will be transferred to them as they deserve to know their daily effort is well appreciated by our guests.

We will take all your comments into consideration as we work on enhancing our guest experience.

We appreciate your loyalty to our Paradisus, we will be waiting for you to come back to Paradisus Playa del Carmen the following year.

Best regards.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

This all inclusive resort gets a 9.7 out of 10 stars in my book and I have travelled to many AI's so I know a great resort when I Stay at one.

I will get to the many great aspects of the La Perla but let's get the 1 negative out of the way and the reason I gave it a 9.7 and not a 10. The shows at the resort are the worst that I have ever seen at all of the resorts that I have been too. They were so bad they were laughable and we would leave after 5 minutes and go grab a drink at one of the many bars at the resort.

Now let's get to the many great things about the La Perla and they knock it out of the park in the all important areas to me when I go to an AI.

As soon as you get out of your van and see the entrance to the hotel you know it's a really nice hotel. Alfredo greeted us and was very professional and friendly to us after our long travel day. He took care of our bags. Alfredo also helped us get a taxi driver ( Carlos ) who for a $100 took us to 3 excursions ( plus entrance fees $135 ). Which saved us %50 vs. Booking thru the hotel. We basically had a private tour guide who drove us to Akumal to swim with the turtles/stingrays, must do. To a Cenote which was really cool and to the ruins in Tulum which is a must see attraction when in Playa. It is Very beautiful there and I would rather go to Tulum vs. Chitchinizta which is in the jungle and a long day away from the resort.

Now to the wonderful ladies at the front desk ( Yoli, Ariadna & Paola ). These 3 ladies helped make our trip memorable as they did something special in our room everyday where it got to the point we would wonder what they would do special for us today. They left us a bottle of wine and cheese/crackers one night, champagne and chocolate covered strawberries another night, a snack tray of desserts another night, a present another night and 2nd to last day they put rose petal from the front door all the way to our jacuzzi which they had filled up with a bubble bath with rose petals all around the jacuzzi with a card and another bottle of champagne. They also set up our robes and slippers with chocolates on our pillows. Made for a very romantic night for us and made us feel like royalty. Anytime that we called the front desk with a question or issue, they handled it immediately. Like when we noticed our fridge was warm, they came up and tried to fix the problem. When that didn't work, we called again and they brought up another fridge and swapped it out. They were very professional and friendly.

Food: My girlfriend and I are big foodies and the food here was culinary IMHO. The breakfast buffet had everything you needed from fresh fruit, smoothie station, made to order omelets, fresh juices, waffle maker. Anything you needed, they had. I forget their names but both women at the omelet stations greeted us with a smile and were very friendly as they made my omelet with extra bacon every morning.

Our favorite place for lunch each day was the Grill. The food here is excellent. The salad bar is quite extensive. We would have a huge salad first and then order Calimari, eggplant with extra sauce and either salmon, red snapper or sea bass for our entree.

There are so many restaurants here that we only ate at half of them. The food at Fuego was very delicious, service a little slow but the food more then made up for it. The shrimp and coconut risotto at la palapa was to die for. The grill at lunch turns into a steak restaurant for dinner with no reservations needed here. You need to make reservations for All other restaurants. I had a tuna steak here 1 night and it was soooooo good. We ate at Bana which is their sushi and hibachi restaurant. I have to give special mention to the 2 gentlemen that work the sushi station. They made the best sushi that I have ever had in my life. They even special made 2 sushi rolls for us and then we tried a few others off of their sushi menu. They were very friendly. The hibachi show left a lot to be desired from a show standpoint but the food and the fried banana for dessert was delicious. The buffet food was good, not as great as the restaurants but still better then what I have had at other AI's.

Liquor: top shelf liquor. BUT make sure you ask for your favorite top shelf liquor of choice or else you will get regular liquor. Had my best margaritas ever with Don Julio tequila here.

Room: we upgraded to a master suite and it was fantastic. Jacuzzi inside and outside, double rain shower, 2 sinks, very comfortable bed. If you don't like your pillow, call the front desk and they have a pillow menu, lol. Very clean rooms, very modern room. They clean your room twice a day and have turn down service, with a fridge that is stocked daily.

Beach: for some reason ppl knock the beach here.....I don't know why. It is great in my opinion. Very soft sand, water is clear. Yes there is a small part that it is Rocky in the water. Walk 40 feet and no rocks. Beach volleyball every morning at 11am. SUP, kayaks, Hobie cats all free to use. Take advantage of them. Special shout out to Victor and Leonar for beach volleyball. Very friendly and good volleyball players. Leonar has a great low serve over the net. Be careful, lol.

There are security guards patrolling the beach and grounds so you feel very safe.

Pools: very clean. I see the workers cleaning the pools everyday. Swim up bar is a fun area to hang out and meet new ppl. Julio at the towel hut was awesome. He saved us chairs by the pool for us everyday. Julio was very friendly.

This resort is huge. You can find plenty of areas to be by yourself or be around ppl. It took me days to get the hang of the layout, lol.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention one specia woman at this resort. Her name is Mara, she is a hostess at the hotel and her smile just makes you smile yourself. She is a very friendly woman and always makes conversation with you everytime she walks you to your table. Mara is a very pretty woman both inside and out. She will help make your day as you get ready to eat one of your delicious meals at la Perla. I miss you already Mara.

I know this is a long review but I wanted to try to remember everything that I could to help your decision easier to just BOOK this hotel for your next vacation. You will not regret it, trust me. This is a 5 star hotel and adults only. One thing that I have learned over the years of staying at many hotels. It's the people who work at the hotel who make it extra special versus just having a good vacation experience. The workers at the la Perla ALL made our vacation extra special. I wish I could remember everyone's names as everyone was great. I tried to remember as many names as I could (. Mara, Yoli, Ariadna, Paola, Victor, Leonar, the 2 sushi guys, Julio and many others ). Thank you again for making this our best vacation ever. I always ask myself if I would go back to a hotel again. The answer to the la Perla is a resounding YES!!!

Book the la Perla now and thank me later. Feel free to write to me with any questions that you may have about the la Perla.

Stayed: October 2017, traveled as a couple
4  Thank worldtraveller715

Thank you so much for taking the time to publish your comments and
observations on your latest stay at Paradisus La Perla.

Your loyalty and preference towards the resort along with your solid recommendation to others is truly appreciated.

It is wonderful that you found amazing quality in all of our restaurant options. It is our firm desire to provide you and all our valuables guest with an abundance of variety making each day a new experience.

Thank you again for making Paradisus your place of preference for luxury vacations. We cannot wait to have you back with us allowing my team to create even more excellent experiences.

Until next time, we wish you a prosperous and happy day.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Great Trip! Facilities were great. Food was average. You can pay to upgrade at dinner so there are options. I will be going back in the near future for second vacation. Hoping the Melia rewards will offset some of the cost.

Dear garywA4138HA,

Thank you for providing such a glowing review and rating regarding your
stay at our Paradisus La Perla.

It is a pleasure to read that you are thinking of repeating the Paradisus experience after a second excellent stay. Knowing that we have your preference and loyalty is the best reward we could ask for. We will soon be able to return to Paradisus Playa del Carmen.

We hope that we can welcome you back to our beautiful destination.

Best Regards
Where you want to be!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The service is impeccable and the resort is so beautiful. Upgrade to the Royal Service as it is well worth the additional $$. We had amazing service in all of the restaurants and bars that we experienced, especially in La Palapa with Jeronimo. The spa is fabulous and we had a very enjoyable couples massage with Vanessa and Guadalupe. They both were highly skilled. We enjoyed every single moment and cannot wait to go back again.

Dear KABRDH,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review of your recent experience at Paradisus La Perla.

It is an honor for us to know that you have enjoyed all the benefits, services, and special amenities of our exclusive Royal Service Area.

We are happy to know that you were able to live the Paradisus experience and you loved it. Our staff is proud to know about your recognition to their outstanding job. All of them are a true example of the warm service we strive to provide every day at our resort.

Hopefully, you give us the chance to serve you again.

Best Regards.
Where you want to be!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The hotel is amazing, is worth paying for an upgrade , and be a member of Melia Level Service. The suites are huge. We were on the 2nd floor, nice view. The service was 100%
Food is amazing in every restaurant, even in the buffets ...
Everyone was helpful and professional
We were in the adults only section .... best place for couples

Room Tip: go for THE LEVEL , or a swim up room ...
  • Stayed: September 2017, traveled as a couple

Dear Clauschapo,

Welcome to Club Melia Family,

On behalf of all the staff members, I thank you for entrusting Paradisus La Perla to pamper you. Your fine words will work to motivate all of us to go further in our efforts to exceed the high expectations of all our valued guests.

Thank you very much for allowing us the opportunity to demonstrate that Paradisus La Perla has shattered all stereotypes on the all-inclusive concept.

We are looking forward to seeing you soon!
Best wishes,