“Great Stay”
Review of Hotel Plaza Playa

Hotel Plaza Playa
Ranked #69 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed October 11, 2017

We stayed here 2 nights. Quick 5-10 min walk from 5th avenue.

My Family and I arrived for one night this year 2017. Didn't have an issue. Its clean. Neat. Decent. Nice Beds. They have BodySoap, Shampoo, Body Lotion, Hand Soap dispensers in restroom and shower for you to use. Once you arrive to your bedroom check they are filled.

Its a rather quiet hotel, but acoustics suck. You can hear other people walking in and out. Doors closing, Elevator doors opening, My baby cried a couple of times and my sister heard her...etc.. There is a sign where it tells you to keep quiet, and other guests respect that!!

There is a grocery store / restaurant right next to the hotel (corner of 30th Ave and 20nte) Its great for Breakfast. They have typical American breakfasts and power shakes and juices. Also is great to mention across the street "Nativo Restaurant" is also great for breakfasts.

Room 17 is great! could easily fit a family of 5. Just be advised, there is a warehouse next to the store mentioned above. They were unloading at 1-3am.

Room Tip: Neat, Clean, Decent, Well Upkeep.
  • Stayed: October 2017, traveled with family
HotelPlazaPlaya01, Gerente at Hotel Plaza Playa, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2017

Thank you for your comments, and for stay with us!..We hope to see you soon¡
Best Regards
Fabiola Denegri

Reviewed July 26, 2017

I recommend the Hotel Plaza Playa. I stayed at this Hotel for one night in June 2017 on my way to Cozumel and for two nights a week later on my return trip to the airport. As a novice traveler and on my first trip to Mexico I did not know what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the positive TripAdvisor reviews were accurate.

I arrived in the late afternoon on the ADO bus about two hours after landing at the Cancun Airport. I walked from the bus depot to the hotel following a map I picked up earlier at the airport and did my first $20 US to Peso exchange on the way. I found the hotel and it looked just like the photo on TripAdvisor. It took me a few minutes to find the lobby (it is on the far left corner of the building as you stand looking at the building).

Check in was fine. I was given a key card and remote control devices for the TV and air conditioner. The elevator took me to my floor and I walked down a slightly dim tile hallway to the room. It brought back memories of my first college dorm only much quieter. The key card was waved in front of the lock and not inserted in the lock. The room was clean and pleasant. After two trips to the desk to receive instructions on how to use the AC remote, the AC cooled the room down to cold. The floor of the room was tile. The bed was comfortable. The room safe was in the closet. I inadvertently locked the safe door open, but the hotel desk has a key. The shower took a few minutes for hot water to arrive (long enough for me to wonder if there was any hot water), but once it did it was plentiful, although its temperature sometimes wavered. The tile floor of the shower was slippery, so be sure you use shower clogs or the safety mat in the shower. The room had a microwave and small refrigerator sitting unplugged on a counter ledge. I did not use them, so I don’t know if they worked. A super market is very conveniently located a few blocks away.

I drank none of the tap water, not even for tooth brush rinsing. Two bottles of water were in the hotel room. Large water jugs and water dispensers were on each floor in a sitting area next to the stairs and elevators. I drank both bottled water and the water from the water dispensers and suffered no ill effects.

Each floor has Wi-Fi, but it is not great. It is very spotty in the rooms. The best reception is in the lobby and in the sitting areas on each floor near the stairs and elevator. The early morning reception was better than the evening reception.

I was there in June and did not notice any mosquitoes. I was pleasantly surprised by the lack of bugs as I expected to be inundated with them.

There is a tiny café (a sign on the wall identifies it as Café del Arte Galeria) next door to the hotel which serves a very small breakfast buffet for 80 pesos (about US $4.70 in June). The fare included breakfast cereals, melon slices, small cheese omelets, small breakfast pastries and coffee. (I posted a photo of the bill of fare written on a white board during my stay.) I ate 4 or 5 of the little omelets, several melon slices and drank the coffee each day and found them acceptable, but not spectacular. The hotel lobby Wi-Fi reached the outside table nearest the lobby entrance, so I perused some internet news on my IPad during breakfast. I could not find the café on TripAdvisor and was not able to give it a separate review.

The submitted photos on TripAdvisor accurately portray the hotel and café premises which I observed and I found no need to post any more photos, except for the photo of the café bill of fare written on the white board.

The taxi fare from the hotel to the Cozumel Ferry was 50 pesos (about US $3 in June). Taxis are easy to flag down on the busier streets. Taxi drivers would often just slightly tap their horn as they passed by, which I assumed was an inquiry as to whether a taxi was needed. If you wave a hand, they would stop.

If you are a new visitor to this community, I recommend the website: everythingplayadelcarmen.com I found it very helpful and accurate.

• Stayed: June 2017, traveled solo
Reviewed July 11, 2017

We stayed here two nights to rest as we came from Cozumel to continue our road trip to Chichen Itza. The hotel is a bit far from the beach (15 min walking) but the rooms are very well maintained and super cleaned. The bed was very comfortable and never had any problem with the AC and hot water. The breakfast in the morning is good too. I would stay in this hotel again for sure.

Room Tip: We found all rooms are quiet
  • Stayed: August 2016, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jose F
Reviewed July 2, 2017

The hotel is pretty basic from the room to the views. The cleaning staff was exceptional!. The beds are comfortable and appliances work great. The hotel is close to everything. Restaurants, shopping malls and the beach are all within walking distance. There is a food transport company across the street which can get pretty noisy at times. Room service is non-existent; the hotel orders from Loco Joe, a small shop a walk away with poorly prepared (Frozen) food. Do not recommend room service from this place.There are no phones in the rooms so guests will have to call from the hotels lobby. Be sure to have some hydro-cortisone cream handy as there are mosquitoes in the hotel lobbies. The WIFI is poor in the rooms; the lobby and balcony areas would be your best bet for obtaining signal. Overall the place is great for those who want to venture out throughout the day.

Room Tip: Great hotel for those who love to venture out !!
  • Stayed: June 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 31, 2017 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend stayed at this hotel for three nights while in playa del carmen and it was really nice. It is very clean and modern. There was nothing wrong with it except maybe the Wi-Fi. The lock is very short to the center, this is on 15th St. the center is on fifth. 15th then 10 then five, thats how the streets are. Probably takes five minutes to walk. It was such a beautiful day.

Stayed: May 2017, traveled as a couple