“Never again”

Cuisines: Cuban, Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 11 April 2021

Never again, i went there two times during my four month stay in Cozumel in winter 2020/21 for breakfast and lunch. The food was under average. The service was the worst i had in Mexico. Unmotivated and arrogant waiters. No idea how the could affort such a bad service in corona times.

1  Thank menkepeter
Write a reviewReviews (249)

Reviewed 5 March 2021

We went to lunch here with a friend. The food was amazing and great portions. The staff was very attentive and we were very pleased.

Reviewed 11 February 2021 via mobile

I love La Candela. The location, the food, the service. Excellent.
The BEST chicken enchiladas I have ever eaten. A nice open airy feel with service that makes you smile and want to go back again and again. 8 years and right up there at the top of my favourites.

Reviewed 3 February 2021

My husband and I have been eating here for at least 9 years. We've been here for breakfast, lunch and an early dinner. We eat here probably five times a week.

The service is attentive. Saul has been our waiter forever, and each year remembers us. This year he remembered our favorite order after we get off the plane. (platanos fritos and pork tacos) Mari, the bartender, makes a minty, limey mojito, and her piña colada is also stellar. The owner, Hiram, is often there, and stops by the table briefly to check on our satisfaction. They have daily specials for about $5-6 American dollars that include soup, entree with a choice of sides, and a drink. You can get a glass of water with ice, no problem. These are the things I love for breakfast: chilaquiles con pollo, fruit salad, French toast, and orange juice. Coffee refills keep coming. For lunch or dinner, the pork or fish tacos are wonderful. The house salad with chicken is a delicious chicken salad with freshly grilled chicken done perfectly, choice of dressings available on the side. Daily specials usually include a chicken dish, a pork dish, and a beef dish. Usually they are in a savory sauce and served with rice and veggies.

Local people eat here, and I've often seen divers here. I feel as safe (or safer) than I do in Minneapolis. We have brought our adult children and our grandchilldren here. While I don't see a lot of other kids there, they have high chairs and children are welcome.

The seating area is open sided, and there are ceiling fans keeping the circulation fresh. Bathrooms are not fancy, but they are clean. There are fancier places. You can spend more money. You can't get a better meal. It's a relaxed atmosphere. La Candela is one block off the Malecón, at the corner of 5th Avenue and Calle 6 norte.

Reviewed 15 January 2021

Took some friends recently for late lunch. Their Cubano sandwiches are to die for. My wife and I each had a sandwich and wound up taking one of them home, they were that filling. They also have a pork dish with mashed potatoes that is yummy. Have gone for breakfast on several occasions and love their pancakes. They have an extensive menu and items are reasonably priced. Only one block off the Melgar.

Date of visit: January 2021