Grand Royal Lagoon
US$495
US$354
Priceline
US$150
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed 29 July 2017 via mobile

As I got to the facility, the "lobby " was filled like a small car with what appeared to be locals visiting. They were on the floor & suitcases spilling outside. I just shook my head ready for something unpleasant. I received a few disapproving looks from the lady behind the desk saying they didn't have my reservations. After a few scares, they understood. This is like a mom & pop running establishment. The pool filled with locals. I think I was the only Caucasian here. I followed a sweet old man through a door up many winding steps to the top & my room. A small what at first glance was rough around the edges but clean. He showed me how to use the remote for tv, I think he was partially blind. He fired up the wall A/C for me which really worked well, it was a very hot day. Be prepared in the summer the humidity with the heat can be a shock. I've noticed most locals don't mind it, but when they are seeking shelter, it's hot. So a good running a/c is important in a room.
I noticed a few tiny dark spots on bed that turned out to be dead tiny flies. No worries. The bedding is old with a few tiny holes but that makes cotton so nice, once it's old. The towels also some stains but clean. Now the important part, the bed. The mattress has springs. When I was a kid we used these under our mattresses. I tried putting the blanket & sheets all folded under me, tried the flat hard pillows too but all wasn't working. Not much sleep & in much pain. If you have any health issues that needs a soft bed, this ISN'T your place. The grounds are pleasant with a view of the lagoon. Don't get to close, it's swamp smelling when by the docks. I encountered two iguanas that obviously were trying to have their own party. I was able to walk around the corner, passing a few outdoors eating establishments, a souvenir store to a "Go mart" that has snacks, water & fast food as well as a subway.
People in Mexico are so nice, I would recommend seeing Cancun if you love the ocean, just can't recommend the Grand Royal Lagoon.

Stayed: July 2017, traveled solo
Reviewed 7 May 2017

We arrived on 30 April 2017, to a room that was dated from 1940s. The bed sheets were gritty, and the beds were from the Flintstones. The bathroom floor was wet from a crack toilet. The receptionist said they were out of rooms. We requested clean sheets and more towels to walk around in the bathroom. The complimentary breakfast consisted of fresh fruit.

• Stayed: April 2017, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Goldendreamz
Reviewed 13 March 2017

I have stayed in worse hotels, but overall I would not recommend this to other people travelling to Cancun. The location is not great, it's a bit of a walk from the good beaches and from the nightlife. The room was outdated and looked dirty, and wifi signal in the rooms was temperamental. Breakfast was not included in the price, but you could order it from the bar in front of the lagoon, which was nice - the breakfast was good. The hotel has a swimming pool, which of course is always a plus. Staff were a bit unfriendly and rude. I wouldn't personally go back.

• Stayed: January 2017, traveled with friends
Reviewed 7 March 2017

At first glance when you step into the room, you think, what a dump. But I changed my mind after awhile. Yes, the bedding may have a small rip, the floor tiles are chipped and the in room safe did not work but the room was clean, the bed was comfortable, the wifi worked and there was a large bathroom with lots of hot water. The restaurant served good inexpensive meals. The small swimming pool was ok for sunbathing and a quick dip. The grounds were pretty and the hotel is on the lagoon. There is a gas station with a Subway and sells food, water, drinks etc. about 100 yards away. There are about 3, mom and pop small Mexican restaurants, a pizza place and a Japanese Shushi restaurant very close to the gas station. The hotel is located within walking distance to a beach, other restaurants/bars and a very large Selecto Chedraui supermarket.
This hotel is a reasonable place to stay. It had what we needed without all of the glitz and expense. Beware, only the upgraded rooms have refrigerators.

• Stayed: February 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed 15 August 2016 via mobile

Hotel was in an okay position. Wasn't interested in the beaches (which aren't close by). Staff were friendly, beds were nice and hard (I dislike a soft mattress). Breakfast was okay and a good start to the day. Food was only served till 3pm, when all but reception go home. Wifi was intermitant. Room was clean, tv was old, but I wasn't interested. Wiring was also old in some places. For most of our stay we were the only non Spanish speakers.
I would recommend as long as your not expecting luxury or a beach.

Stayed: August 2016, traveled with friends