“Owner is the real problem”

Bonito Kitchen & Bar - Emiliano Zapata
Ranked #41 of 1,286 Restaurants in Puerto Vallarta
Price range: US$7 - US$25
Description: Bonito Kitchen & Bar is now at 2 locations, one in Emiliano Zapata next to Río Cuale and one in Jardines Vallarta near Costco. Both locations serving fresh and quality Asian dishes from Vietnam, Japan, Korea and Taiwan. Our location at De Los Tules 325, near Costco, serves delicious small plates and ramen from Tuesday-Saturday from 1-10pm and Sunday from 1-7pm. Our location at Insurgentes 108, Emiliano Zapata, serves breakfast, lunch and dinner from Tuesday-Saturday between 9am-10pm. We also serve Dim Sum on selected Sundays. Other special dishes include wonton noodle soup and pho noodle soup from our family recipes. Both locations have delicious craft cocktails, outdoor seatings in beautiful garden settings and follow strict safety protocols.
Reviewed 17 September 2021 via mobile

We visited Bonita after hearing there downtown location was severely damaged due to the river overflowing and flooding. I support local business and have lived her 22 years. I had been there a couple times in the past and the service wasn’t very good but my friends liked it so I hadn’t come back for a while. So there was three of us. We order three dumpling orders. Teriyaki salmon, Ramen soup, fish balls, short ribs, spring rolls, crispy rolls, appetizer Plater, Two desserts, nonalcoholic drinks, it took almost 30 minutes to receive a Diet Coke. The courses came out about every 15 minutes. Main courses then appetizers then desserts then teriyaki chicken then appetizer platter extremely strange way of serving and extremely slow. A lady who appeared to be the owner came by the table she asked me the problems I explain them her response was we have a small kitchen. And questioned my time lines And basically wanted to argue with me. Very obvious she has absolutely no experience prior to opening this mom-and-pop restaurant didn’t know how to size a Kitchen doesn’t know how to manage staff. I just told her I understood I did not want to argue with her it was extremely clear it would’ve been a waste of time and that all the Staas mistakes were directly due to her input. They didn’t delivery one of the dishes I ordered. And the Appetizer platter didn’t have a cucumber salad and add a very odd kimchi but only had red sauce in chunks of pineapple. The food was average but there’s no other place in Vallarta that has this type of Asian cuisine primarily a spin from Korean cuisine. It’s really sad because it seem to have it be a delightful place and many of my friends like it and they just tell me no we don’t complain John because there’s no other options. The same thing happened to some sushi restaurants 15 years ago in Vallarta the owner got a big ego went out of control for five other places open up and they lost all their business

Date of visit: September 2021
Write a reviewReviews (187)

Reviewed 17 June 2021

We went to Bonito Kitchen and Bar finally. What a great restaurant. Right on the river with gorgeous outside seating.

We were very hungry (nothing new) and had orders of Miso butter mushrooms, Grilled zucchini, potstickers, Pork belly and Octopus, All was outstanding.

The staff were great and were very glad to finally try this place.

1  Thank 1234wayne
Reviewed 15 June 2021

Once you're tired of the knock off Behinana at the Sheraton or one of the other hotel restaurants that just don't seem to get it right, head over the Bonito on Insurgentes or in the Romanic Zone. I was having withdrawals until I found this place. Even better - they decided to make ramen a standard item after I got there. The food is right on, and real Cafe du Monde coffee for the Vietnamese Caphe Su Daa! The place is spotless, the crew is friendly and the menu is straight out of Saigon or Osaka. They make a wicked five-star world-class martini that would belong in the Four Seasons or the Peninsula, the cheese lumpia is a pleasant surprise that appeals to Asian and Western tastebuds. This place is truly a find in PV. I absolutely loved this spot and it made my stay in Puerto Vallarta that much better! Be warned tho, no ramen
before 1 pm (it's worth the wait!)

Reviewed 8 May 2021 via mobile

Legit one of the best meals I’ve had in a long time. Start to finish perfect. The Cauliflower boa
was to die for. Also had a delicious Pork belly boa. Korean BBQ short ribs were incredible!! And the lobster dumplings were delightful. And to cap it off we had an amazing Wine chocolate cake. Perfectly baked. Not too decadent, literally just right. Loved this place!!

Reviewed 24 April 2021

I have visited Benito Kitchen a dozen times or so since discovering it in January, what a find! The cocktails are so unique, delicious, pretty and refreshing. The food is absolutely delicious and the perfect portions for sharing with a friend or two. The outdoor seating area is my favorite place to dine and it's well kept, quaint and airy. The staff are attentive and knowledgeable offering suggestions without any aire of being too much. I can not say enough positive affirmations for this restaurant.

Date of visit: April 2021