“Honest review”

Krabi Nature Horse Riding
Ranked #28 of 52 Tours in Ao Nang
Reviewed 25 February 2017 via mobile

Me and my friend have ridden before and are both relatively experienced but have not ridden for a while. Due to previous reviews we told them that we had no experience. Initially we were put on lead reins and one of the staff led us down to the beach. He quickly saw we were more capable than we let on so called another young lad on a horse who then rode with us and we're taken off the lead rein. We asked to walk the whole way as weren't over confident in the braking abilities! They respected this and we had an amazing hack along the beach, through a small village then back onto the beach in time for the sunset. It was stunning! The young lad was always offering to take photos of the two of us and, although he couldn't speak much English, was still engaging.
The horses were perfectly happy and healthy. The stabling (although smaller than UK standards) was very clean and safe and all horses had access to a hay net and water. The horses were energetic and alert and I had absolutely no concerns over their care or health.
A word of note. This is a riding centre in Thailand and as such the tack and appearance of the centre does not match standards one would expect to find in the UK or Europe. There are hats if you want one but again they will not enforce this. The horses did spook when we were out when a lady was closing the shutter to her shop. All 3 horses shot sideways. This could happen wherever you go riding so please bear this in mind as horses will be horses! They all have a very relaxed approach to everything so if you arrive expecting anything more upmarket then this may not be for you.
We had a fabulous time and absolutely loved it. As someone else referenced, if you are not very experienced then don't say you are. Enjoy x

2  Thank Emily T
"thailand"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed 26 January 2017

1hour .pre booked.
2 of us,1,experienced 1 novice.
Hot day.helmets supplied.
Both of us enjoyed riding along the beach in the surf.
The horses have a,lot of experience of the route taken.
Thus are easy to ride.

Reviewed 26 November 2016 via mobile

I went with my boyfriend who had never riden before and we thought it was great. Lovely relaxing ride along the beach. I had Magnum and my boyfriend had Dollar. Both horses were great, at first they were both a little cheeky but when we got used to them and used harder controls on them they were both really good and relaxed! They might look small because they are a half Thai breed but they were strong. The horses are very used to having many different riders and were very calm and obeyed your commands. I would recommend it for people who want to experience riding for the first time. The staff look after you the whole way, and they let you fully control the horse when you have got used to them. They dont speak much English because they are Thai. The owner can speak good English and he has experience with horses for over 19 years. The horses are well looked after, fed and cleaned. Everything is Thai style and chill chill. Definitely would recommend, great experience and beautiful views walking along a quiet local beach.

Reviewed 5 September 2016

It was a cloudy day so we decided to go to Krabi Nature horse riding. I am a confident rider and my friend is used to horses so i was put on a horse called Magnum and my friend on another horse. When we had been assigned horses a guide came out smoking a cigarette and couldn't speak any English and mounted his horse with cigarette still in mouth. We set off down the beach and he turned and said ' Run? ', i had to decide for the both of us ( only two of us on the trip) whether we had a canter. We set off at a nice pace and had a nice canter. Our guide spoke hardly any English and didn't say when to start or stop we just had to go with it. We then rode on the road with our guide not giving any direction and not saying a word. On the way back he asked again whether we wanted to 'Run?' so we set off and Magnum was obviously used to the going home route and set off at a full pelt gallop. He was so excited that he fell over and lost his footing straight on top of me, and rolled over me then galloped off down the beach. The 'guide' just stood staring at me, unable to commuicate. I signalled for him to go after the horse. After what felt like half an hour sat on the floor getting my breath back, he came back with the horse and i was forced to get back on. Even though i couldn't feel my legs and had sprained two fingers pushing Magnum off me. I got back on in shock and we walked back, no one saying a word and my friend gravely shocked and worried having witnessed it all. When we got back the guide spoke to the owners and i presume told them what had happened. They provided me with ice and then asked me for the money and sent me on my way. Horrible service, horrible experience, i still suffer with nerve problems in my legs and hands even now, a year on. Please be very careful!!

7  Thank caroline981
See more reviews
Reviewed 10 August 2016 via mobile

Wasn't sure what to expect of this company and was dreading the thought of seeing depressed underfed horses... But the horses here did seem to be well cared for in the respect that when we arrived, they were standing in clean stalls with plenty to eat. Obviously they are not kept anywhere near to the same standard as they are in the UK however it did seem ok and I was happy to ride.
The ride itself was along a beautiful stretch of beach and I enjoyed just walking and trotting along - did try for a canter but my horse was unwilling and when one of the guides handed me a stick (more of a twig), I couldn't bring myself to use it as I wasn't sure how she was treated on a daily basis.
I did have 3 concerns though:
- The horses are quite small and they put a grown man on one who was surely too heavy
- When I squeezed my legs on the horses sides, I was shocked at how little flesh there was compare to my own horse's wide sides although it is possible this is due to breeding
- Finally, I did not see a field for the horses to graze in and therefore standing in a stall all day is not great...