“Great horse riding experience!”

Krabi Nature Horse Riding
Ranked #27 of 48 Tours in Ao Nang
Reviewed November 26, 2016 via mobile

I went with my boyfriend who had never riden before and we thought it was great. Lovely relaxing ride along the beach. I had Magnum and my boyfriend had Dollar. Both horses were great, at first they were both a little cheeky but when we got used to them and used harder controls on them they were both really good and relaxed! They might look small because they are a half Thai breed but they were strong. The horses are very used to having many different riders and were very calm and obeyed your commands. I would recommend it for people who want to experience riding for the first time. The staff look after you the whole way, and they let you fully control the horse when you have got used to them. They dont speak much English because they are Thai. The owner can speak good English and he has experience with horses for over 19 years. The horses are well looked after, fed and cleaned. Everything is Thai style and chill chill. Definitely would recommend, great experience and beautiful views walking along a quiet local beach.

All reviews
"thailand"
in 8 reviews
"novice"

Reviewed September 5, 2016

It was a cloudy day so we decided to go to Krabi Nature horse riding. I am a confident rider and my friend is used to horses so i was put on a horse called Magnum and my friend on another horse. When we had been assigned horses a guide came out smoking a cigarette and couldn't speak any English and mounted his horse with cigarette still in mouth. We set off down the beach and he turned and said ' Run? ', i had to decide for the both of us ( only two of us on the trip) whether we had a canter. We set off at a nice pace and had a nice canter. Our guide spoke hardly any English and didn't say when to start or stop we just had to go with it. We then rode on the road with our guide not giving any direction and not saying a word. On the way back he asked again whether we wanted to 'Run?' so we set off and Magnum was obviously used to the going home route and set off at a full pelt gallop. He was so excited that he fell over and lost his footing straight on top of me, and rolled over me then galloped off down the beach. The 'guide' just stood staring at me, unable to commuicate. I signalled for him to go after the horse. After what felt like half an hour sat on the floor getting my breath back, he came back with the horse and i was forced to get back on. Even though i couldn't feel my legs and had sprained two fingers pushing Magnum off me. I got back on in shock and we walked back, no one saying a word and my friend gravely shocked and worried having witnessed it all. When we got back the guide spoke to the owners and i presume told them what had happened. They provided me with ice and then asked me for the money and sent me on my way. Horrible service, horrible experience, i still suffer with nerve problems in my legs and hands even now, a year on. Please be very careful!!

7  Thank caroline981
Reviewed August 10, 2016 via mobile

Wasn't sure what to expect of this company and was dreading the thought of seeing depressed underfed horses... But the horses here did seem to be well cared for in the respect that when we arrived, they were standing in clean stalls with plenty to eat. Obviously they are not kept anywhere near to the same standard as they are in the UK however it did seem ok and I was happy to ride.
The ride itself was along a beautiful stretch of beach and I enjoyed just walking and trotting along - did try for a canter but my horse was unwilling and when one of the guides handed me a stick (more of a twig), I couldn't bring myself to use it as I wasn't sure how she was treated on a daily basis.
I did have 3 concerns though:
- The horses are quite small and they put a grown man on one who was surely too heavy
- When I squeezed my legs on the horses sides, I was shocked at how little flesh there was compare to my own horse's wide sides although it is possible this is due to breeding
- Finally, I did not see a field for the horses to graze in and therefore standing in a stall all day is not great...

Reviewed July 12, 2016 via mobile

First I didn't know what to expect of horse riding in Thailand but I wanted to ride
anyway. Me and my girlfriend were picked up at our hotel and the driver took us to a small range. As my girlfriend isn't experienced she decided to stay at the beach because I wanted to experience this ride in full speed without putting her in danger. As we arrived two horses were saddled and I could climb on a beautiful stallion ( he told me that during the trip) his name was many. Because I told him I wanted to go full speed over the beach he started to gallop immediately. I ride for 22 years now but I was used to steer the horse with my legs. It was difficult for me to find out that this horse had to be steered by the reins. In the first 10 minutes I had a little problem steering it the right direction but after he explained how this horse was trained I trusted the horse and the horse trusted me. It was great! The horses looked very good and the owner told me he was the oldest brother and his father started the range. The horses are all breed by them self and are number 1 in his life. He took some pictures from me and the horse at a beautiful spot in the ocean. As he speaks English very little we had some misunderstandings but that's ok! I'm visiting his country. When we went back to the range he picked me a flower! How cute! When we came back my girlfriend was waiting for us and walked along with me to the range. They showered the horses and gave us some water. After that he cuts us two coconuts and showed us the stables. He also had an old cowboy outfit so we had to put it on and take a picture with him and the horses. It was a great experience and I would love to come back. The only thing I can mention is that I don't know what it's like to ride there when you are not experienced, but I was glad I didn't brought my girlfriend because it was to dangerous for someone without experience.

2  Thank Shirley H
See more reviews
Reviewed June 23, 2016 via mobile

The ranch looks a little poor but the horses seem to be healthy. They are very young though (Between 4 and 6) and quite small. Please don't go on these horses when you weigh more than 65kg.

I went on a half day trip. The first hour I joined a group of people who obviously never rode a horse before. They didn't wear helmets and also didn't wear the right shoes. Although we only walked along the beach, I still think you should be very careful since you don't know the horses and have no experience. So please ask for a helmet and wear (at least) closed shoes.

When the one hour trip was over, I continued the trip with one of the staff. Although he was very friendly, his English was bad and he didn't look after me well. He just let his horse go all the way and I can tell you this went very fast. I have more than 12 years of horse riding experience but I was pretty scared because I was riding a horse I didn't know and I had no control. I told him to go slower but it took him a while to understand. I didn't fall but that's only because I've been doing horse riding since I was six years old. Please be very clear to the guide how fast or slow you want to go (and don't lie about how experienced you are) because when he assumes you are experienced he'll just let his horse go all the way without something of a sign and I can tell you that you'll not be having fun.